Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,657 Members 43,463 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hard Bricked LG E980 USB device not recognised

Tip us?

twill1987
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Hard Bricked LG E980 USB device not recognised

My LG E980 is bricked. I can access download mode and that is it! I am unable to boot into recovery,
and the hard reset screen simply sits there forever. My computer only recognizes my device as an "unknown usb device."
I'm unsure what can be done about this, but I feel like this is better than the infamous QHSUB icon displayed when the device cannot be recovered.
Does anyone have a remedy for this problem?? I have GOT to fix this phone and can't afford to Jtag the device, but I'm losing hope that this is possible, PLEASE help.

riki126
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Have you installed the LG drivers for your pc and tried the unbrick method?

WeActOnImpulse
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Yeah dude there's an unbrick method. If this doesn't work just sell the phone on Ebay. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2302660

shabbypenguin
Old
(Last edited by shabbypenguin; 28th April 2014 at 06:05 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,952

DONATE TO ME
There is never a time when this device cant be recovered. even the qhusb is a fairly simple fix. ill go ahead and make a sdcard boot image tonight. do you have a 32gb sdcard? (or larger) and an sdcard reader, if you have those two things i can make an unbrick.img that you flash toi the sdcard and put in the non-booting phone and it will get you to download mode/recovery mode. ill have to check out what partitions are where as i dont wish to include my efs along with it all .
If you feel as though my work is worth something, you can alwaysDonate
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shabbypenguin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stulzerl
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by twill1987 View Post
My LG E980 is bricked. I can access download mode and that is it! I am unable to boot into recovery,
and the hard reset screen simply sits there forever. My computer only recognizes my device as an "unknown usb device."
I'm unsure what can be done about this, but I feel like this is better than the infamous QHSUB icon displayed when the device cannot be recovered.
Does anyone have a remedy for this problem?? I have GOT to fix this phone and can't afford to Jtag the device, but I'm losing hope that this is possible, PLEASE help.
Happened to me.

1. With the phone on download mode and plugged in the computer; uninstall the unknown device on your computer using device manager. The computer should try to get the drivers for your phone.

2. If it doesn't. Repeat step one and install the drivers first.

That worked for me hopefully I'll work for you.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

twill1987
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by riki126 View Post
Have you installed the LG drivers for your pc and tried the unbrick method?
Yes I tried that. The drivers won't install. I even used another windows 8 computer my roommate has and switched out
the usb cables, still came back "unknown device"

twill1987
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbypenguin View Post
There is never a time when this device cant be recovered. even the qhusb is a fairly simple fix. ill go ahead and make a sdcard boot image tonight. do you have a 32gb sdcard? (or larger) and an sdcard reader, if you have those two things i can make an unbrick.img that you flash toi the sdcard and put in the non-booting phone and it will get you to download mode/recovery mode. ill have to check out what partitions are where as i dont wish to include my efs along with it all .
I do have a 16gb sd card, but I can pick up at 32 gb sd at my local best buy. I have an Asus laptop running windows 8 and it has an SD card reader. I am a little confused (semi-noob) as to how this will work because my phone will boot up, and the led changes colors on the home button for about 4 seconds and then the light stops flashing. The phone is stuck on the LG boot screen, and there is no way out of it but to pull the battery or to reset with power button. Of course no recovery as previously mentioned. I really just want to get back to stock, but I can't manage to get both the windows 8 computers I've tried to detect the phone in download mode. Ever since I switched to the Candykat rom 4.4 the computer wasn't able to recognize the phone, even when the phone was fully functional inside the rom.
I have tried it on my dads windows 7 laptop as well with no dice. Instaled LG drivers, uninstalled LG Drivers, uninstalled device from the Device Manager. I've done everything I could think of. I previously was in a Philz touch recovery, but every rom I tried to flash wouldn't work. I tried to flash another recovery from inside it and then the device bricked like it is now. What a head ache. If you think this method would work, I am more than willing to try it, just unfamiliar with what I need to do on my end.

twill1987
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulzerl View Post
Happened to me.

1. With the phone on download mode and plugged in the computer; uninstall the unknown device on your computer using device manager. The computer should try to get the drivers for your phone.

2. If it doesn't. Repeat step one and install the drivers first.

That worked for me hopefully I'll work for you.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I will give your method a shot, but I have done this a lot already. The only thing I can think of is I usually unplug the phone from the computer right after deleting the drivers and uninstalling in device manager. Maybe I should just leave the phone plugged in and see if the computer automatically downloads the drivers, but I don't think it will because I've tried to update the drivers before. It gives me an error code "10" and says the device has malfunction or stopped working This phone has been undetectable via USB since flashing the candykat 4.4 rom. Every computer I've tried (3) and every USB cable (3 again) has displayed it as an "unknown device"

luisoman2000
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
I will give your method a shot, but I have done this a lot already. The only thing I can think of is I usually unplug the phone from the computer right after deleting the drivers and uninstalling in device manager. Maybe I should just leave the phone plugged in and see if the computer automatically downloads the drivers, but I don't think it will because I've tried to update the drivers before. It gives me an error code "10" and says the device has malfunction or stopped working This phone has been undetectable via USB since flashing the candykat 4.4 rom. Every computer I've tried (3) and every USB cable (3 again) has displayed it as an "unknown device"
I've had similar issues when i had my optimus g. I had to use a pc with xp to flasht he phone, dunno why though. You could give that a shot.
Pantech Burst
Rooted and Gizmolord 3.0 (sold!)

Xperia Ion
Running Aoba_PureBlack_Ultimate Privacy(sold! Really miss it though)

Lg Optimus G(AT&T) (Sold 3 of em so far)
Running EG8 Rom

Samsung Galaxy S
(loaner from a friend-returned)

BLU Dash 4.0 (JB 4.2 version)
Loaned it to my bro while he fixes his S3

Lg Optimus G Pro(finally!!)
Running LG G3 Optimus V4.5 GPRO by Bountyman

shabbypenguin
Old
(Last edited by shabbypenguin; 28th April 2014 at 11:40 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,952

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I do have a 16gb sd card, but I can pick up at 32 gb sd at my local best buy. I have an Asus laptop running windows 8 and it has an SD card reader. I am a little confused (semi-noob) as to how this will work because my phone will boot up, and the led changes colors on the home button for about 4 seconds and then the light stops flashing. The phone is stuck on the LG boot screen, and there is no way out of it but to pull the battery or to reset with power button. Of course no recovery as previously mentioned. I really just want to get back to stock, but I can't manage to get both the windows 8 computers I've tried to detect the phone in download mode. Ever since I switched to the Candykat rom 4.4 the computer wasn't able to recognize the phone, even when the phone was fully functional inside the rom.
I have tried it on my dads windows 7 laptop as well with no dice. Instaled LG drivers, uninstalled LG Drivers, uninstalled device from the Device Manager. I've done everything I could think of. I previously was in a Philz touch recovery, but every rom I tried to flash wouldn't work. I tried to flash another recovery from inside it and then the device bricked like it is now. What a head ache. If you think this method would work, I am more than willing to try it, just unfamiliar with what I need to do on my end.
I dont know lg's download mode, kdz, tot etc all that well. im more of a samsung guy. however qualcomm since the s4 chipset has allowed for sdcards that are properly formatted to boot the os instead of the internal emmc. here is a decent guide, just need to make teh image for this device. this will let your device boot no matter how bad it gets you are welcome to try with 16gb, the rule of thumb i know of is as big as teh emmc is use that same size or larger sdcard, however some people have had sucess withs maller, just not many that i know of. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2439367

however afaik the only way to reflash teh bootloader partitions is via kdz/download mode so perhaps the sdcard will let you get into that mode and then you can flash, so long as you keep your sdcard like that it will boot fully, but in order ot get your sdcard back you need to repair teh files on your phone .
If you feel as though my work is worth something, you can alwaysDonate