Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,266 Members 41,917 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Solved] Factory Reset, now boots to language select and then black screen

Tip us?

Yoqui
Old
(Last edited by Yoqui; 16th March 2014 at 03:37 PM.) Reason: Issue resolved.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up [Solved] Factory Reset, now boots to language select and then black screen

I have the GT-S7560M through Solo (Bell) and I rooted it shortly after purchase last year. I've been happy with the phone and for the last few weeks an upgrade notice has been appearing but would fail when applied. Some searching suggested the root was interfering. At first I started to look into un-rooting the phone, but then thought that a factory reset would be the simplest, least-risky solution. I had done a factory reset on my last Galaxy phone without a problem so it seemed like a safe choice. I backed up the contact info, etc with Kies (I don't use many apps so I didn't go all out ie Titanium Backup) and removed my SD card.

Now the phone boots to screen asking me to pick a language and press Start. Then it moves on to a black screen with the info bar at the top (clock, cell strength, data xfer) and nothing else. It is auto-rotating. The phone does react to touches with the buttons lighting up, but I can't get anywhere. Kies can see the phone, the phone number, the firmware version and all that. It reports Internal Memory as 84.83MB used of 1.58GB. I can navigate through the phone using Windows Explorer. I did a Restore with Kies but it doesn't seem to have had any relevant effect.

I am able to boot into CWM Recovery. I don't remember doing a back-up with it, and when I ask it to restore from either the SD card or the interal SD it says it can't mount.

At this point I would start thinking about taking the phone back to the store, but a flash counter appears during start-up and I'd rather they didn't see that for obvious reasons.

When I google I just get people who have bricked their phones. I just want my phone to work again. I'm not worried about modifying it further to achieve that.

Hitesh2626
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoqui View Post
I have the GT-S7560M through Solo (Bell) and I rooted it shortly after purchase last year. I've been happy with the phone and for the last few weeks an upgrade notice has been appearing but would fail when applied. Some searching suggested the root was interfering. At first I started to look into un-rooting the phone, but then thought that a factory reset would be the simplest, least-risky solution. I had done a factory reset on my last Galaxy phone without a problem so it seemed like a safe choice. I backed up the contact info, etc with Kies (I don't use many apps so I didn't go all out ie Titanium Backup) and removed my SD card.

Now the phone boots to screen asking me to pick a language and press Start. Then it moves on to a black screen with the info bar at the top (clock, cell strength, data xfer) and nothing else. It is auto-rotating. The phone does react to touches with the buttons lighting up, but I can't get anywhere. Kies can see the phone, the phone number, the firmware version and all that. It reports Internal Memory as 84.83MB used of 1.58GB. I can navigate through the phone using Windows Explorer. I did a Restore with Kies but it doesn't seem to have had any relevant effect.

I am able to boot into CWM Recovery. I don't remember doing a back-up with it, and when I ask it to restore from either the SD card or the interal SD it says it can't mount.

At this point I would start thinking about taking the phone back to the store, but a flash counter appears during start-up and I'd rather they didn't see that for obvious reasons.

When I google I just get people who have bricked their phones. I just want my phone to work again. I'm not worried about modifying it further to achieve that.
You have posted in wrong section
BTW your solution is just flash stock Rom via ODIN , your problem will get solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hitesh2626 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Yoqui
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
BTW your solution is just flash stock Rom via ODIN , your problem will get solved.
I've just finished doing that, and it appears to have worked.

For anyone else with a similar problem who finds this thread:

- Go to the FAQ here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post45767157
- Download Daver18qc's root kit at the link provided (you'll have to scroll down to the second post). You want this to get Odin; don't worry about the zip's other contents.
- Go here: http://www.sammobile.com/ and register. It's free and all it wants is an e-mail and your country.
- Go here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ and type s7560m in the search box. The list will automatically update. I'm a Solo customer and chose 'Canada (Bell Mobile)'. When I first tried this in Firefox I would get a screen telling me I wasn't logged in. I tried it in IE (which I never use and so is 'clean') and the download went through.
- Go back to the FAQ http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post45767157 and scroll down to 'Short Tutorials' and 'How to Flash with Odin:'.
- One thing it leaves out is that when you boot into Download Mode, you will first get a warning screen that asks you to either press Volume Up to continue or Volume Down to abort and reboot. Not a big deal but it caught me off guard. Odin will not detect the phone until you get past this screen.
- Continue with the Tutorial. After it is done you will have to setup the phone again. But at least it's working now.
Tags
black screen, factory reset