Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,114 Members 38,429 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[stock firmware][D80020c] recovery friendly D80020c

Tip us?

garyd9
Old
(Last edited by garyd9; 14th May 2014 at 04:09 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1,978
Default [stock firmware][D80020c] recovery friendly D80020c

This is for D800 (AT&T LG G2) users ONLY.

This package will update a phone with D80010d firmware to a "mixed" firmware that boots normally to D80020c (kitkat), but retains the older boot loader and compatibility with loki patched custom recoveries. The "normal" boot is 100% unmodified stock.

This "mixed" firmware is currently the only known way for a stock D80020c (kitkat) system that also allows custom recovery.

What's installed:
  • rpm, tz, modem, and system partitions from the stock D80020c (kitkat) LG G2 firmware.
  • LG's D80020c kernel, recompiled by @Savoca, and made compatible with the D80010d bootloader.

That will leave your existing D80010d boot loader (aboot) intact, as well as whatever custom recovery already installed.

This firmware package will (or at least should) refuse to install on ANY firmware other than the D80010d firmware. Please don't reply to this thread if you are using anything else. (That was as polite as I'll be on that issue...)

I STRONGLY suggest doing a full wipe on your device after flashing this. You don't have to, but it'd be a really good idea...

This is NOT my software. This is 100% LG's software and firmware. Don't ask for support in this thread. It won't be provided.

Instructions:
  1. Restore your phone to the stock LG G2 D80010d firmware. Please click "here" for directions. (remember that you have the AT&T device when reading that post...) If you don't like that post, here's a youtube video (not mine) for doing the same thing. Make sure you restore the D80010d firmware and _not_ the D80010o firmware!!

2. Root the device and install recovery (recovery is required, root is not.) This is a link for rooting instructions. While you are welcome to use CWM for your recovery, this is a link for installing TWRP recovery. (Since cyanogenMod took freely given contributions to their codebasse and went private/for-profit, I have a personal bias against them - so my personal recommendation is for TWRP.)

3. Copy the d80010d_to_20c.zip package linked below to your phone.

4. Reboot into recovery and install the d800_to_20c.zip package.

5. Optionally, also install a superSU or other root package.

6. Optionally, but suggested, Perform a "factory reset" on your device.

Download Links:
The main package (about 1.7GB): Dev-Host (md5: 7cfe7de4ab31f727b72178b8fb618fd3)

SuperSU: Direct from Chainfire's webpage

Credits:
Several people spent countless hours working on finding a way to get recovery working with LG's kitkat. The kernel used in this package was made by @Savoca - who used the solution found by @JackpotClavin. Others involved are (as far as I'm aware) @AndroidUser00110001 and @jakew02. Of course, @Chainfire for the 'su' package.

Source:
All the images in the recovery package are completely stock with the exception of the kernel and kernel modules. The kernel is modified and recompiled with only the following patch: https://github.com/JackpotClavin/and...5b863baa8d1064. (The installer overwrites the kernel images in /system with those from the kernel compile.) The base kernel source is found on LG's opensource website under the D800 heading.

May 2014 Update:

I'm no longer able to tinker with my G2. My wife took it from me (for her own use), and she gets angry when I mess up all her settings.

(I ended up getting a HTC One M8 to tinker with.)

While I'll leave the thread unlocked so users can assist each other, please don't expect prompt responses from me or maintenance.

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
and click the "Donate Now" link at the top.
The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

garyd9
Old
(Last edited by garyd9; 9th March 2014 at 08:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1,978
switched main package link to dev-host

added "source" section.

Donations: I don't accept donations, but if you are feeling charitable, help a child by going to http://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XxZombiePikachu
Old
(Last edited by XxZombiePikachu; 7th March 2014 at 04:47 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,331
As soon as it's done downloading I will let you know that it works unless someone beats me to it that is

EDIT: Finally finished downloading I already flshed back to 10d rooted installed recovery and am now installing kk.zip

Re-Edit: just finished installing also just so you know flashing system only took about 2mins a little bit over that in terms of seconds anyways everything seems to be running fine ill report back tomorrow when its not 1am my time and can test things more thoroughly but I can confirm that everything flashes like its supposed to and also I like the little check you added where it says d80010d bootloader good!

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to XxZombiePikachu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

garyd9
Old
Thanks Meter 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxZombiePikachu View Post
... and also I like the little check you added where it says d80010d bootloader good!
It's actually checking that loki_patch reports a d80010d bootloader. If not, it'll abort flashing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

srk_srinivas
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Thanks man, now i have kitkat with root and recovery (D80020c)
LG G2 D800 + Sony MW1 (LG-A390) for Backup
The Following User Says Thank You to srk_srinivas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DowntownJeffBrown
Old
Thanks Meter 3,367
Damn I wish I had waited for this before flashing kit Kat last week. Of will I'll just have to wait on a recovery compatible with kit Kat or go back to 4.2.2 and then flash this when I have time.

>^^< Sent From MEOW G2

XxZombiePikachu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJeffBrown View Post
Damn I wish I had waited for this before flashing kit Kat last week. Of will I'll just have to wait on a recovery compatible with kit Kat or go back to 4.2.2 and then flash this when I have time.

>^^< Sent From MEOW G2
This is the only way for now to have a recovery on kit Kat

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

FlyingColors
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Okay, so let me get this straight before I do anything. I'm currently running a custom rom right now, do I still need to revert to stock and install a custom recovery again, or can I just copy the stock kitkat zip to my phone and install from my current recovery?

garyd9
Old
Thanks Meter 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingColors View Post
Okay, so let me get this straight before I do anything. I'm currently running a custom rom right now, do I still need to revert to stock and install a custom recovery again, or can I just copy the stock kitkat zip to my phone and install from my current recovery?
What is step #1 on the instructions?

You can do whatever you want with your phone. It won't impact me whatsoever. However, that has nothing to do with what I posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to garyd9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xLordNitro
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Sigh...on every single KitKat Stock ROM ive tried so far...Bluetooth kills the battery, i mean it massacres it. I really dont get what the issue is...some sort of wakelock?