Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,327 Members 44,685 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How now to get wifi?

Tip us?

slownis
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] How now to get wifi?

My phone is a Sprint Galaxy SIII that is stock rooted. I didn't root until after accepting the OTA update to 4.3 MK3. I could use a little help getting wifi working, as there is so much out there I'm a little lost on what my next step should be.

I used the 'saferoot' method using my ubuntu pc. It worked flawlessly from the command line. It also installed SuperSu and I think it did something to disable knox, but I'm not sure what. I don't have a custom recovery or custom rom, everything else is stock.

I tried using the Wifi tether 'Trev-E' mod, but that just gives me errors and I can't get it to work.

I use this phone with my company email, which means they have hooks into it but I'm not sure in what ways.

My company laptop doesn't allow an adhoc wifi connection, only the normal infrastructure mode, so I'm hopeful someone can point me to an infrastructure capable tether app that actually works.

I'm a technical person, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff. I usually google around and get frustrated because I'm not sure what applies to me and I don't want to end up bricking my phone because I did something stupid.

Thanks in advance for any help!

bilgerryan
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 25997

DONATE TO ME
Here is the hacked Sprint hotspot-http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2224083

slownis
Old
(Last edited by slownis; 9th March 2014 at 05:37 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgerryan View Post
Treat me like a total noob. How do I flash this hacked hotspot onto my GSIII? The link says I need a custom recovery. Which one do I choose and how do I get it loaded? Do I have to use custom recovery, or can I use 'Odin'? Thanks.

*edit*

Nevermind, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I flashed Philz recovery on the 2nd try, once I had that flashing the hacked hotspot was easy. It works with my work laptop too, yay! thanks again!