Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,274 Members 46,041 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Enabling the GSM radio

Tip us?

DiamondJay20
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100
Default Enabling the GSM radio

I did a SIM card check on Surfing Dino's SIM info app, and this phone does have a SIM card. We know that the other Galaxy S3s have GSM capabilities, and Verizon is releasing an OTA soon to allow global roaming. While Sprint's SIM is embedded, it wouldn't be too hard to access it with a knife and cut the plastic, or order a backpiece of ebay. Can someone work on, or is someone working on finding a way to hack this, or verify if the Sprint version could be hacked to support a GSM update? I heard someone hacked the Verizon Galaxy Nexus to do this.

I'd love to take my GS3 around the world and sell my Photon.
Phones: Samsung N400->Kyocera 2345->Nokia 6225->Samsung M500->Samsung Sync->Samsung Blackjack->Blackjack II->Blackberry Curve 8300->Samsung Epix->Blackjack II->BB Bold 9000->BB Bold 9700->LG Phoenix->BB Torch 9800->HTC Inspire 4G->Motorola Atrix 4G->Motorola Photon->iPhone 4S->Motorola Photon->SPH-L710 Samsung Galaxy S3->Motorola Photon->SGH-T999 Samsung Galaxy S3->SGH-I747 Samsung Galaxy S3->D850 LG G3

Tablets: Toshiba Thrive->Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1->Asus Nexus 7 2013

freeza
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9486

DONATE TO ME
The Sprint version's SIM card is for LTE.

DiamondJay20
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
The Sprint version's SIM card is for LTE.
I know that, and I know SIM cards are why Verizon has them in their 4G LTE phones. But as Verizon is releasing an update to the Rezound, Spectrum, Razr (reg. and Maxx), and their version of the Galaxy S3, I'd assume the SIM card function in both Sprint and Verizon Galaxy S3's is the same inside the US, as they're both CDMA carriers.

What I wanna know is if the SIM card could possibly be taken out, replaced with a foreign SIM and put back in if a hack could be developed to allow GSM use/roaming on the Sprint Galaxy S3.
Phones: Samsung N400->Kyocera 2345->Nokia 6225->Samsung M500->Samsung Sync->Samsung Blackjack->Blackjack II->Blackberry Curve 8300->Samsung Epix->Blackjack II->BB Bold 9000->BB Bold 9700->LG Phoenix->BB Torch 9800->HTC Inspire 4G->Motorola Atrix 4G->Motorola Photon->iPhone 4S->Motorola Photon->SPH-L710 Samsung Galaxy S3->Motorola Photon->SGH-T999 Samsung Galaxy S3->SGH-I747 Samsung Galaxy S3->D850 LG G3

s3xda
Old
(Last edited by s3xda; 29th July 2012 at 08:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJay20 View Post
I know that, and I know SIM cards are why Verizon has them in their 4G LTE phones. But as Verizon is releasing an update to the Rezound, Spectrum, Razr (reg. and Maxx), and their version of the Galaxy S3, I'd assume the SIM card function in both Sprint and Verizon Galaxy S3's is the same inside the US, as they're both CDMA carriers.

What I wanna know is if the SIM card could possibly be taken out, replaced with a foreign SIM and put back in if a hack could be developed to allow GSM use/roaming on the Sprint Galaxy S3.
its different from a SIM card even tho it looks exactly like one. It only has the network info required to use lte for that particular provider. The contents of those chips arent modifiable

DiamondJay20
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 100
I know, but I mean if a firmware hack which could enable GSM roaming when the Sprint SIM is out would b possible, also to see if the Sprint SIM is welded to the thing or not

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

tdwp16
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJay20 View Post
I know, but I mean if a firmware hack which could enable GSM roaming when the Sprint SIM is out would b possible, also to see if the Sprint SIM is welded to the thing or not

Not "welded" soldered.. lol

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tdwp16 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jbadboy2007
Old
Thanks Meter 244
Dont count on it and this should have been in the general section.

bl8zeone360
Old
Thanks Meter 2
There is no removable sim in the sprint galaxy s3. I repair phone for a living. There is a component on the board that controls the radio frequencies.

nabbed
Old
Thanks Meter 198
This phone doesn't have a gsm radio, correct?

elfhater
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabbed View Post
This phone doesn't have a gsm radio, correct?
As far as I know, no. And "enabling" it would be impossible because we only have an embedded LTE SIM; even if we could desolder it a regular GSM SIM wouldn't work (at least from what I understand).
Don't ask about my username, it's a long story...