Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,482 Members 53,972 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Official 4.4 kitkat???

Tip us?

Xtazy305
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19

DONATE TO ME
Default Official 4.4 kitkat???

When is our phone getting the official update????
Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

metalfan78
Old
Thanks Meter 1494
Later

alemosman
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Yeah when are they planning to roll out kitkat update? Would that update remove knox for those of us already with it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to alemosman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

K.fishon.GS3
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Info 2 no kitkat update for gs3 (international versons that is)

Samsung's galaxy s3 wiill only see KitKat on its versions sold in the US (maybe Canada). apparently there’s not enough RAM in the internationally sold model for the update to work well. The Galaxy S III has 1 GB of RAM internationally. KitKat is well optimized for running on devices with as low as 512 MB of RAM… so its not because of the OS, but TouchWiz gets in the way.
Samsung’s heavy UI overlay has been criticized for, well, being too heavy, occupying too much space, and consuming too many resources (one of the most important ones is RAM). So while ‘vanilla’ KitKat may run soundly on devices with just 512 MB of RAM, and it has no problems doing the same thing on, say, the Moto G (which has 1 GB), the i9300 Galaxy S III will never see this version of the OS. Because TouchWiz.
Heres the list of devices that made the list to receive updates for 4.4 kitkat update.:

: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S4 Active, Galaxy S4 Mini, Galaxy S4 Zoom, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy Mega 5.8, Galaxy Grand, Galaxy Express 2, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, and Galaxy Grand 2 LTE. Some of these may jump directly to 4.4, and others that are running older software versions may still receive some interim updates as well
The Following User Says Thank You to K.fishon.GS3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Xtazy305
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by alemosman View Post
Yeah when are they planning to roll out kitkat update? Would that update remove knox for those of us already with it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thank you for the información and your time to explain..

bilgerryan
Old
(Last edited by bilgerryan; 16th March 2014 at 05:48 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24655

DONATE TO ME
And as to when... Whenever they feel like it. Then we'll have to do some work before we have a rooted version. And addressing the question about Knox, what do you mean "update"? If you have Knox, you're stuck with it, there's nothing to update.

bdevilish
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Looks like the s3 could get kit kat at any time.
http://www.ibtimes.com/android-44-ki...receive-new-os

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

alemosman
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgerryan View Post
And as to when... Whenever they feel like it. Them we'll have to do some work before we have a rooted version. And addressing the question about Knox, what do you mean "update"? If you have Knox, you're stuck with it, there's nothing to update.

Thanks for the information m, I Can't wait to see it on my phone