Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,194 Members 52,023 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Odin vs CWM

Tip us?

BoJatey
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Odin vs CWM

Apologize in advance for the stupid question but I searched and can't find an answer. I guess no one is dumb enough to ask it but here goes. I'm running 4.1.1 on a Galaxy S3 and just DL'ed 4.1.2 stock or version of it. From what I've read about members helping other members about flashing this, they always tell them to use Odin. I don't have a problem doing that but can't I just flash it using CWM? Seems a whole lot easier this way. Thanks again in advance and I'm sorry I don't know this but I should. Just been out of the loop for awhile.

landshark68
Old
Thanks Meter 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJatey View Post
Apologize in advance for the stupid question but I searched and can't find an answer. I guess no one is dumb enough to ask it but here goes. I'm running 4.1.1 on a Galaxy S3 and just DL'ed 4.1.2 stock or version of it. From what I've read about members helping other members about flashing this, they always tell them to use Odin. I don't have a problem doing that but can't I just flash it using CWM? Seems a whole lot easier this way. Thanks again in advance and I'm sorry I don't know this but I should. Just been out of the loop for awhile.
If it is a .tar file or a .tar.md5 file, it is flashed using ODIN. If it is a .zip file, it is flashed using whatever version of recovery you use (CWM, TWRP, Philz, etc.)
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you
The Following User Says Thank You to landshark68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BoJatey
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark68 View Post
If it is a .tar file or a .tar.md5 file, it is flashed using ODIN. If it is a .zip file, it is flashed using whatever version of recovery you use (CWM, TWRP, Philz, etc.)
It's a zip so gonna do it right now with CWM. Thank you for the quick reply.