Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,302 Members 51,345 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] root and update question

Tip us?

joo14
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] root and update question

Good evening everyone,

I recently acquired a Verizon LG G2 as my work phone. I want to root it, but I'm worried that when the kit kat update comes I won't be able to unroot. Also a friend of mine said that the update might actually break the root access. I was reading that Kit kat is unrootable so I would like to root it while I still have the chance, but I need to be able to unroot it because it is my work phone.

What is the best method for rooting the Verizon G2, as well as unrooting. And is there a way for me to keep root access when the kit kat update eventually comes, as well as unroot from kit kat?

nrfitchett4
Old
Thanks Meter 522
On at&t someone made a flashable zip of kit Kat. We just had to flash that and superuser in custom recovery. You lose the custom recovery but have root.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

XxZombiePikachu
Old
Thanks Meter 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
On at&t someone made a flashable zip of kit Kat. We just had to flash that and superuser in custom recovery. You lose the custom recovery but have root.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
Well if you had seen the thread recently you would know on at&t we have recovery on kit Kat

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

XxZombiePikachu
Old
(Last edited by XxZombiePikachu; 8th March 2014 at 02:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by joo14 View Post
Good evening everyone,

I recently acquired a Verizon LG G2 as my work phone. I want to root it, but I'm worried that when the kit kat update comes I won't be able to unroot. Also a friend of mine said that the update might actually break the root access. I was reading that Kit kat is unrootable so I would like to root it while I still have the chance, but I need to be able to unroot it because it is my work phone.

What is the best method for rooting the Verizon G2, as well as unrooting. And is there a way for me to keep root access when the kit kat update eventually comes, as well as unroot from kit kat?
Ok once you root you can take ota as long as a)you don't have custom recovery and b)you have not changed anything on the phone, also in the supersu pro you have the survival mode which is that if you take an ota chances of survival are higher and the unroot option which unroots your phone

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-07-20-36-59.png
Views:	17
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	2620037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-07-20-37-04.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	2620038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-07-20-34-10.png