Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,629 Members 41,585 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New Official Google Camera

Tip us?

TruEastSydeBoi
Old
(Last edited by TruEastSydeBoi; 17th April 2014 at 08:48 PM.) Reason: Pics
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 147

DONATE TO ME
Camera New Official Google Camera

So just in case not everyone follows The Droid Life, I thought I'd post the new Camera App since photography quality seems to be one of biggest aspects of the phone people chase.

Let's see how it stacks against our Generous Dev's Xdabbed's and Jishnu's modified camera apps that they have done wonders with. I don't know if it'll be of any use to us since they've been pushing the stock app to the max, but maybe it's worth giving a try for UI experience.

You need to be on Android 4.4+

Google Cam APK

Here's the DL overview of it. Tour

I myself don't think it will compare with the quality and feature's Xdabbed has packed into his but new stock options are always nice.

Update: Ok so I've done my first comparison. Both at 13MP, Med/Low Lighting, and forced flash with a steady arm.

Modified Stock:

Google Cam:

Compare Photos Link

Strange, but to me the google cam looks a alot sharper quality as per the rug and cat fur. The colors also look deeper i.e. the pink leopard spots. I'll have to play around more

Update 2: So I believe Google's Cam takes amazing pictures in ideal lighting and photo conditions, but Xdab's really strives at being a more versatile photo taker when it comes to other conditions such as low light.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TruEastSydeBoi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bigwavedave25
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Yeah, I saw this on D-L also. So far I am very impressed and happy to have Photo-sphere back in the arsenal.

One thing I want to try and do is hack the app to either add a 10Mwide [16:9] option or change the parameters on the 7.7M option to be the 10Mwide format that is available on the stock LG camera. Which is the one i use the most and allows for the full screen view w/ semi-transparent shutter button.
LG G2 VS980 / Rom: gr33nd3vil's [modded] CM11 nightlies 4.4.2
Galaxy Nexus toro / Rom: Shiny-OTA Android 4.4.2
Nexus 7 (2012) / Rom: Shiny-OTA Android 4.4.2
HTC Incredible AMOLED / Rom: CM7.1 (retired)

sheridan2000
Old
(Last edited by sheridan2000; 16th April 2014 at 10:59 PM.) Reason: correction
Thanks Meter 11
played around for a while. could not get photo sphere to work correctly. blur effect is good. images to me don't appear to be any better than lg stock camera app. certainly not many filters/effects etc. thanks for the download thought.

ingoljosh
Old
Thanks Meter 225

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruEastSydeBoi View Post
So just in case not everyone follows The Droid Life, I thought I'd post the new Camera App since photography quality seems to be one of biggest aspects of the phone people chase.

Let's see how it stacks against our Generous Dev's Xdabbed's and Jishnu's modified camera apps that they have done wonders with. I don't know if it'll be of any use to us since they've been pushing the stock app to the max, but maybe it's worth giving a try for UI experience.

Google Cam APK

Here's the DL overview of it. Tour

I myself don't think it will compare with the quality and feature's Xdabbed has packed into his but new stock options are always nice.

Update: Ok so I've done my first comparison. Both at 13MP, Med/Low Lighting, and forced flash with a steady arm.

Modified Stock:

Google Cam:

Compare Photos Link

Strange, but to me the google cam looks a alot sharper quality as per the rug and cat fur. The colors also look deeper i.e. the pink leopard spots. I'll have to play around more
this is awesome. i love the blur effect. kinda like the M8 instead of having 2 camersa you raise the camera a bit and it takes another shot to create the depth of field effect.GENIUS!

madboymatt
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I'm gonna play around with this a little more, but I actually think this might be a little sharper than X's mod.

Sent from my LG G2 D803 from the XDA developers app.

AyDee
Old
Thanks Meter 793

DONATE TO ME
The Google cam does look more contrast-y in the comparison pics.
Photosphere worked fine for me. LG gallery displays 3d panorama ok but Google gallery is better.

blossom
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Why it says not compatible with my phone ?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

TruEastSydeBoi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 147

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom View Post
Why it says not compatible with my phone ?

Are you on 4.4+? You have to be, Can't be installed on 4.2.2
The Following User Says Thank You to TruEastSydeBoi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blossom
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruEastSydeBoi View Post
Are you on 4.4+? You have to be, Can't be installed on 4.2.2
Yes I am, thanks for the heads up

Harellevy
Old
Thanks Meter 12
In some phones the capture button is transparent. Why in the g2 is not and how can I get it to be transparent? I have cm11 with gapps but the camera app in the play store didn't let me update but install.

Tags
app, camera, google