How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Unlocking Bootloader - What is important?

OP WhiteNeo

7th April 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #1  
WhiteNeo's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,399
 
1,419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Donate to Me
Hello everybody!
I have decided that I'm going to unlock my Xperia V's bootloader. Perhaps I will do so this weekend.
But I need some information on all this stuff.

First of all, what are the important things to do before unlocking? Like for example backup TA partition and so on. How do I do these things?

Also, can anyone provide me a failure-proof guide on installing an AOSP rom? I think I want to install this Carbon room that appeared today in the XV forums.
I am currently on unrooted stock 4.3 (had some issues with my recovery some time ago, so I had to reset..)

I would also appreciate a summary of what is NOT working currently in the 4.4 roms, and if Kitkat is already stable enough for daily use on our devices.. (And perhaps also what impact an AOSP rom has on performance in benchmarke etc.)

Also, which kernels do you recommend?

I know, it's a lot of questions, but I just want to make sure I don't brick my phone.. It's the first time for me messing around with bootloader unlocks. ^^

Any replies/ helpful links/ advice are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Xperia V using Tapatalk.
Last edited by WhiteNeo; 7th April 2014 at 04:21 PM.
7th April 2014, 03:57 PM   |  #2  
WhiteNeo's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,399
 
1,419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Donate to Me
Ah, I forgot one question...
Does project butter work in 4.4 as well? Is it as smooth as stock 4.3?

Sent from my Xperia V using Tapatalk.
7th April 2014, 06:09 PM   |  #3  
devilmaycry2020's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 131
 
849 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
root your phone then use Backup-TA-9.10 to backup TA first then go to http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/instructions and follow guide here. so you can unlock very easy
7th April 2014, 06:29 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 92
 
278 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Don't forget that unlocking your phone also factory resets it so backup important stuff first.

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app
7th April 2014, 07:38 PM   |  #5  
WhiteNeo's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,399
 
1,419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmaycry2020

root your phone then use Backup-TA-9.10 to backup TA first then go to http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/instructions and follow guide here. so you can unlock very easy



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Marty

Don't forget that unlocking your phone also factory resets it so backup important stuff first.

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app

Alright.. And to root I'll have to go back to 4.1..

So, is this order correct?

-Optional Backup (don't know how to backup my apps without root tho. :/)
- Flash 4.1 ftf
- Root with Doomlord
- Backup TA
- Unlock BL
- Flash CM kernel (by the way.. How? i have never used this fastboot thing.)
- Enter recovery
- Flash rom zip



Still need some information about these kitkat roms, guys.. Any experiences? Any replies to my questions in op?

Sent from my Xperia V using Tapatalk.
8th April 2014, 01:21 AM   |  #6  
devilmaycry2020's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 131
 
849 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNeo

Alright.. And to root I'll have to go back to 4.1..

So, is this order correct?

-Optional Backup (don't know how to backup my apps without root tho. :/)
- Flash 4.1 ftf
- Root with Doomlord
- Backup TA
- Unlock BL
- Flash CM kernel (by the way.. How? i have never used this fastboot thing.)
- Enter recovery
- Flash rom zip



Still need some information about these kitkat roms, guys.. Any experiences? Any replies to my questions in op?

Sent from my Xperia V using Tapatalk.

i think all app you can install again, backup only image, video, phone book.
the order is correct. i dont like to use AOSP rom cause the graphic interface not as good as sony.
8th April 2014, 07:50 AM   |  #7  
WhiteNeo's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,399
 
1,419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmaycry2020

i think all app you can install again, backup only image, video, phone book.
the order is correct. i dont like to use AOSP rom cause the graphic interface not as good as sony.

Hm.. Which storage is wiped when unlocking? Internal storage only or also the sdcard?

Sent from my Xperia V using Tapatalk.
8th April 2014, 05:08 PM   |  #8  
devilmaycry2020's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 131
 
849 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNeo

Hm.. Which storage is wiped when unlocking? Internal storage only or also the sdcard?

Sent from my Xperia V using Tapatalk.

nothing will be wipe mate. it restore the phone as like as flash new FW only
The Following User Says Thank You to devilmaycry2020 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th April 2014, 08:57 PM   |  #9  
WhiteNeo's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,399
 
1,419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmaycry2020

nothing will be wipe mate. it restore the phone as like as flash new FW only

Well that's good.
Thanks for your help bro ^^

Sent from my Xperia V using Tapatalk.
8th April 2014, 08:58 PM   |  #10  
WhiteNeo's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,399
 
1,419 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2013
Donate to Me
.. Still looking for some people that can give me some information on AOSP roms

Sent from my Xperia V using Tapatalk.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes