HTC and S-OFF - A universal petition ***/\/\*** Sent to HTC ***/\/\***

16th May 2012, 04:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 137

784 posts
More
HTC can give a generic response to a single user, but can they do the same to 1000s of users?

I think not. It's time to tell them what we think as a group.

Quote:

We, the undersigned, are formally requesting that HTC consider extending end users the ability to turn on/off the platform security on their phones (S-OFF) preferably through a method that also permits full access to the phone's software partitions (For example: "APX/NvFlash" mode on the Tegra platform). This would be a further development on the current "Bootloader Unlock" being provided on the domain htcdev.com for certain devices. Such a feature, if granted would greatly ameliorate the esteem developers and non-developer users have for HTC for its relationship with its customers.

Collectively, we also wish to make it clear that we acknowledge the risks involved with such a feature and understand that HTC is not liable for any faults caused through software modifications carried out by the end user. HTC reserves the right to refuse warranty repair on this basis providing sufficient evidence of user-induced damage is present. We are requesting that if HTC are to respond positively to this feature request that they would also make it clear that within the terms of their limited warranty and with the statutory rights of the consumer undisturbed they will not invalidate the limited warranty for instances of faults clearly arising from manufacturing errors. We would also request that any such statement would be clear in its terms without resorting to ambiguous terminology such as "may".

We also wish to state that we are aware of HTC's carrier agreements which may make such a feature impossible to implement on customised devices sold by certain carriers. With this in mind, we wish to make it clear that we are requesting such privileges only for devices that are sold as "sim-free" or by carriers who do not actively oppose such features.

Sincerely,
The undersigned customers of HTC

View signatories here: http://goo.gl/9a1pz

Give your support here.

For those concerned about how this will work, once we reach a sufficient number of signatories I will send a secure copy of the signatory list (With the serial numbers de-obfuscated for authentication) to HTC.

Add the link to your signatures and spread it far and wide. The more of us there are, the louder we are.

This isn't only for the One X. It's for all owners of HTC devices running Android. Spread the link far and wide.
Last edited by abc27; 16th May 2012 at 11:14 PM.
The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to abc27 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2012, 04:53 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 222

1,498 posts
More
I'm pretty sure they already know that thousands, possibly millions, of people want s-off. They just don't care.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Willieumm For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2012, 04:54 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

784 posts
More
That's the point.

They know it and they can ignore it because no one attempts to contact them. If one person asks for S-OFF they'll reel off the usual generic nonsense about security. If a few thousand ask for S-OFF they'll have to give something a bit more substantial.
16th May 2012, 05:13 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 32

536 posts
they have made their decision already. im letting someone buy mine next week when i have pics and a different phone. good luck with that though.
16th May 2012, 11:10 PM   |  #5  
Flag England, UK
Thanks Meter: 192

621 posts
More
Have you locked out the spreadsheet?
16th May 2012, 11:13 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

784 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB13X

Have you locked out the spreadsheet?

Yeah. For security concerns. There's a HTML page that updates every 5 minutes with selected fields from the spreadsheet. The link is actually:
http://goo.gl/9a1pz

I've changed the OP to reflect that.
The Following User Says Thank You to abc27 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2012, 11:55 PM   |  #7  
Flag England, UK
Thanks Meter: 192

621 posts
More
Thanks just making sure it was still going Going to get my Desire and Desire HD owning brothers to register tomorrow and link back to here added to my signature
16th May 2012, 11:56 PM   |  #8  
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 390

1,023 posts
More
HTC will not give us S-OFF, they have customers as well, and those customers (telecoms) don't want their users to have too much freedom. This includes access to the radio partition, allowing users to unlock handsets freely. This topic is a waste of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rekoil For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th May 2012, 12:04 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

784 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekoil

HTC will not give us S-OFF, they have customers as well, and those customers (telecoms) don't want their users to have too much freedom. This includes access to the radio partition, allowing users to unlock handsets freely. This topic is a waste of time.

People can already unlock their phones for a pittance (€5-10) online. Buying an unlock code is much easier for the average person to do and use than turning off their phone's platform security.

If you think this topic is a waste of time, I recommend you follow your advice and stop wasting your time and go do something else like complain.
The Following User Says Thank You to abc27 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th May 2012, 12:14 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,777

3,171 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'd sign, but don't want to list my serial number as I don't want HTC to void my warranty.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread