Post Reply

If B&W Ultra Power Saving is so efficient, why not use as ALWAYS ON SCREEN feature?

26th February 2014, 10:02 AM   |  #1  
BoneXDA's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,080
 
1,431 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Samsung introduced Ultra Power Saving mode, that's besides the usual turn-some-radios-off, sets TouchWiz into a low-demand black and white mode, most likely undervolting the SoC in the process. Sammy promises an extra day of standby in this mode.



So how about using the B&W mode for always-on display notifications?

While it's no e-ink display like the back of the YotaPhone, AMOLED can light up subpixels individually, and lower resolution displaying of non-graphic white content with 90% of all subpixels off and SoC at very low voltage could make sense. Especially if the new pixel arrangement is RGBW (I don't think it is for the S5), cause it would mean that of the 4 million sub-pixels, only a small % of 1 million white pixels would be on... we don't need full screen notifications, just part of the screen...

With some further SW tweak, the phone could recognize when is it in pocket (like Moto X) and when on table, so it should only display stuff then the phone is in horizontal position or when you move it etc. With AMOLED advertised for efficiency, wonder why Sammy haven't attempted something like this yet, maybe add an extra low-power chip to handle this little task (and always-on listening).

Thoughts? Potential? Possibilities?
Last edited by BoneXDA; 27th February 2014 at 08:48 AM.
27th February 2014, 08:48 AM   |  #2  
BoneXDA's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,080
 
1,431 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Nobody?
27th February 2014, 09:16 AM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 95
 
341 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
I think the sview cover is probably a better way of doing it. Its so easy to go from low power preview to full functionality
4th March 2014, 02:37 AM   |  #4  
gordonzhao's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 91
 
789 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
More
Why do you want a black and white screen on all the time?? What year is it?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordonzhao For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2014, 03:48 AM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55
 
149 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzhao

Why do you want a black and white screen on all the time?? What year is it?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

For when you are at the last 1% and need that extra juice to establish a conversation with 911 because you hit against a reef coral with your yatch in the bahamas and you are sinking with sharks waiting to eat you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qxps For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th March 2014, 03:58 AM   |  #6  
dandroid13's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Porto Alegre
Thanks Meter: 1,714
 
3,158 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneXDA

Samsung introduced Ultra Power Saving mode, that's besides the usual turn-some-radios-off, sets TouchWiz into a low-demand black and white mode, most likely undervolting the SoC in the process. Sammy promises an extra day of standby in this mode.



So how about using the B&W mode for always-on display notifications?

While it's no e-ink display like the back of the YotaPhone, AMOLED can light up subpixels individually, and lower resolution displaying of non-graphic white content with 90% of all subpixels off and SoC at very low voltage could make sense. Especially if the new pixel arrangement is RGBW (I don't think it is for the S5), cause it would mean that of the 4 million sub-pixels, only a small % of 1 million white pixels would be on... we don't need full screen notifications, just part of the screen...

With some further SW tweak, the phone could recognize when is it in pocket (like Moto X) and when on table, so it should only display stuff then the phone is in horizontal position or when you move it etc. With AMOLED advertised for efficiency, wonder why Sammy haven't attempted something like this yet, maybe add an extra low-power chip to handle this little task (and always-on listening).

Thoughts? Potential? Possibilities?


You can enable B&W with the normal Power Saving, see @ 18:28:

4th March 2014, 08:27 AM   |  #7  
BoneXDA's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,080
 
1,431 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandroid13

You can enable B&W with the normal Power Saving, see @ 18:28:

True, but not as always-on notifications. It would just make sense on efficient individually lit AMOLED pixel screens.
6th March 2014, 04:38 AM   |  #8  
system.img's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 485
 
2,162 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Making it always On will accelerate AMOLED burn in.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
6th March 2014, 04:41 AM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55
 
149 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by system.img

Making it always On will accelerate AMOLED burn in.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

So here's where you are. Can I flash you now?
The Following User Says Thank You to qxps For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 05:54 AM   |  #10  
msavic6's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 437
 
1,716 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by system.img

Making it always On will accelerate AMOLED burn in.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

It doesn't have to be always on, it could use the gyroscope inside the phone to know when it is being picked up and will then light up the screen.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy S 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank