Originally Posted by ansh360
Guys, I know i am repeating again the question but despite reading 15-20 posts and uncountable articles, I am still not able to get my nexus 7 working with the Windows XP SP3.
1) To start with, I downloaded the google drivers from ASUS and the MTP Porting Kit from microsoft.When i plug in the device with USB Debugging on, Windows shows 3 new devices- NEXUS 7 & Android ADB Interface.. and ofcourse Windows XP can not find the drivers for any. So i open the device manager and it shows Nexus 7 under unidentified devices. I install the drivers for ADB interface (the ones i downloaded from Asus) and the device becomes ready to use. But there is no option to browse the device from my computer or portable devices. Then i switch the debugging on, and now there is a new device- MTP under unidentified devices. Then i install the MTP Porting Kit, but the MTP device still shows a problem with the driver.
2) The second part of the problem is that all this did not work and even my WMP11 does not recognise the Nexus 7.
The device is just connected and charging!!! What am i doing wrong here???
Recently got a 2012 Nexus 7 from a retailer selling this model with updated Android at very attractive price, and initially able to connect to computer so promptly rooted the device with the Nexus Root Toolkit from Wugfresh Development (in this forum), afterwards had same problems with not being able to read / transfer files.
Tried every fix I could find in other threads, and although device manager saying that connected as 'ADB Device' with debugging on, or 'Google Nexus 7 ADB Device' with MTP on and debugging off, still stuck with no access.
Looking closer at the MTP configuration ('Google Nexus 7 ADB Device') under device manager noticed that details listed manufacturer as 'ClockWorkMod' , and eventually that this originated within a Windows\Inf file titled 'oem60'.
I cut and pasted the 'oem60' file to another directory (to keep it safe just in case this upset something else) then on reconnecting the Nexus 7 as MPT with debugging off, device manager found and installed the correct driver at last. Now able to see and transfer files to / from it.
Presumably could alter the relevant lines in the 'oem60' file, which aren't hard to find, and put it back to original directory, but my other devices also working fine so not done so as yet.