Post Reply

[Q] SGH-I747 - Temp Unroot?

OP Phantom/Uncle/Sam

7th March 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #1  
Phantom/Uncle/Sam's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Hello all.

I have a rooted SGH-I747 (AT&T S3) with Android 4.1.1

When the update for Android 4.4 becomes available, I would like to have it.

I was under the impression that I would have to unroot, wipe, and install the stock to get 4.4


And then earlier I found the "Temp Unroot" and "OTA Survival" options in SU.

Will these options allow me to simply update to 4.4 without going through the hastle of unrooting/wiping ?


Thanks in advance for the help.
8th March 2014, 01:25 AM   |  #2  
theramsey3's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 153
 
355 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom/Uncle/Sam

Hello all.

I have a rooted SGH-I747 (AT&T S3) with Android 4.1.1

When the update for Android 4.4 becomes available, I would like to have it.

I was under the impression that I would have to unroot, wipe, and install the stock to get 4.4


And then earlier I found the "Temp Unroot" and "OTA Survival" options in SU.

Will these options allow me to simply update to 4.4 without going through the hastle of unrooting/wiping ?


Thanks in advance for the help.

I personally would wait to see what the update will entail, see what kind of problems it may have, see if they still have the boot loaders on lock down where you cannot flash previous versions before I update. As far as you're concerned I would do a fresh install of whatever stock rom you're running now through Odin since you're still on 4.1.1 you can flash whatever you want. I would also do the free unlock while you're on 4.1.1 because it was a glitch they over looked in that rom and corrected in all the newer roms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
8th March 2014, 02:22 AM   |  #3  
Phantom/Uncle/Sam's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Free unlock? How do I do that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
8th March 2014, 02:34 AM   |  #4  
theramsey3's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 153
 
355 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom/Uncle/Sam

Free unlock? How do I do that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Go to the general section and scroll down till you find a thread saying how to unlock 4.1.2 downgrade involved. You should already be on the right stuff for you should only have to follow the key inputs to get the free unlock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to theramsey3 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th March 2014, 12:44 PM   |  #5  
Phantom/Uncle/Sam's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
OK. Got the free unlock, dont know how I missed that.

Now, back to the temp unroot,
whenever the time comes to update to 4.4, is SU's "Temp Unroot" and/or "OTA Survival" a dependable method?
I've tried to research it as much as possible within the last 24 hours but I'm still a little unresolved.

Is there a tutorial/guide somewhere?
8th March 2014, 04:14 PM   |  #6  
Phantom/Uncle/Sam's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Also, follow up question:

Will Titanium backup help in this process?
And/or will it benefit me to get the paid version of titanium backup?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
10th March 2014, 12:28 PM   |  #7  
Phantom/Uncle/Sam's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
anybody?
10th March 2014, 05:44 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 32
 
118 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom/Uncle/Sam

Now, back to the temp unroot,
whenever the time comes to update to 4.4, is SU's "Temp Unroot" and/or "OTA Survival" a dependable method?
I've tried to research it as much as possible within the last 24 hours but I'm still a little unresolved.

Is there a tutorial/guide somewhere?

This probably can not be answered with any certainty until the update is out and a number of people have tried it. Like theramsey3 was saying, to answer this someone will have to have tried it and failed or succeeded. We will find out at that point. Just like we found out that the 4.3 update installed a bootloader that could not be downgraded (easily) and that Knox was active on all devices, not just when activated by corporate IT.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom/Uncle/Sam

Will Titanium backup help in this process?
And/or will it benefit me to get the paid version of titanium backup?

TiBU will allow you to restore apps and or their data much more quickly than re-downloading all of the apps.
Definitely DO NOT restore system apps with TiBu.

An advantage the paid version has is that you can restore the apps and their data in batches, rather than one at a time.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes