Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,656 Members 52,377 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to increase performance and battery life on your Tab 3 (ideal for beginners)

Tip us?

gagan313
Old
(Last edited by gagan313; 4th November 2013 at 08:46 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
Clock How to increase performance and battery life on your Tab 3 (ideal for beginners)

Hi guys. I have been on android since 2011 and ever since I have been modding my phones and devices. One thing I found out is that when you pack your device full of goodies and games and apps, your device can start to get laggy and the battery drains faster.

As for the Galaxy tab 3 I saw that it gets quite laggy when some apps are installed....

Here's what I do to manage and Maintain my tab:
Battery life:

1.) The number 1 thing I do when I unbox and setup my device is install Battery Doctor.
-This app I found charges your device in a certain way to prolong battery survival and it does it in 3 steps.
-This app also has modes that you can turn on that you can customise to a setting of your desire.... it comes with 3 as standard. Extreme mode and super saving mode helps a lot when your not using it for a while.
- Lastly it has optional widgets that you can put on home screen that optimises the battery, cleans apps/cache.

2.) Another one that you may find as useful is MobileCare. This app has a battery saving mode, App manager and Task killer if your are looking at JUST battery. This app offers a much simpler way to reduce battery drainage from the click of a switch power saver mode is enabled.

Performance Enhancing Apps
So to have optimum performance without rooting your device or overclocking here is what I use:
1.) MobileCare - As well as battery saving there a few other tweaks it has that I didn't mention above....
-Game Speeder- this basically give you a choice of the app you wish to run and it will basically optimise the app/game for you so it runs as smooth as possible.
- It also has a built in Antivirus/Anti-theft feature which also speeds and improves performance if there are viruses or ads slowing you down.
- Task killer- this app basically kills all apps and processes so the ram is nice and fresh.....1gb RAM can get packed sometimes.

2.) Memory Booster- This apps really helps as well.
-It features a Quick boost mode when you just want free space and instant performance.
-It also shows proof of it working in the form of a monitor and a diagram showing ram before and after.
-This app also features its own task killer and a boost log.
-This app is really useful because it comes with some really nice small compact widgets that you can do the quick boost function and task killer from a simple tap on the home screen instead of actually opening the APP itself.

Please feel free to add on to this list....I wrote these because they were the most efficient in terms of being able to use them seemlessly.
This thread is ideal for those who havn't got root access and want to maintain their tab 3's.

I will upload links Shortly.

edit-----I know the Task Killer mentioned dosnt kill ALL the apps and processes. However the point of that app is to close all of apps and processes that wouldnt harm your system if they were closed, so you have you normal open apps that need to be closed and then some background apps and clears cache etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gagan313 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dtaylorr
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Not bad, but rooting is so easy and you get much more control.
Proud owner of a Samsung S3, and Samsung Note 3

gagan313
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaylorr View Post
Not bad, but rooting is so easy and you get much more control.
Yup.. But even after rooting... BAttery doctor really improves battery!

trazfer
Old
Thanks Meter 87
I use juice defender ultimate and du battery saver pro. Best battery saving app. The best contributor is lux auto brightness( paid version). Brightness is very crucial for saving battery. Ex. At night our tabs tend to be more brighter. You can even set the brightness for any light level your in.

Sent from my SM-T210R using xda app-developers app

gagan313
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by trazfer View Post
I use juice defender ultimate and du battery saver pro. Best battery saving app. The best contributor is lux auto brightness( paid version). Brightness is very crucial for saving battery. Ex. At night our tabs tend to be more brighter. You can even set the brightness for any light level your in.

Sent from my SM-T210R using xda app-developers app
LOL I totally forgot about that one. I liked that app for its quick features... most of it was paid though..

BretonGirl
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Task killers are useless and in fact do more harm than good. Android is quite good at managing its own memory and doesn't need the help. Task killers tend to stay in memory which defeats the purpose, and 99.9% of the time the tasks they kill automatically restart anyway. They are not at all necessary and should be avoided.

LG G3 (Sprint/Shine Gold)
iPad Air 32GB
Dell Lattitude 10 (Win8)
Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 (sold)
Galaxy Nexus (retiring soon)
Nexus 7 32GB (sold)
Galaxy Tab 10.1 (sold)
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0[/I]

Love my Android(and yes, Apple too)!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BretonGirl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ironman38102
Old
Thanks Meter 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretonGirl View Post
Task killers are useless and in fact do more harm than good. Android is quite good at managing its own memory and doesn't need the help. Task killers tend to stay in memory which defeats the purpose, and 99.9% of the time the tasks they kill automatically restart anyway. They are not at all necessary and should be avoided.
I do and also dont agree having task killer why? They dont kill every single app u wanted and thus free only 5MBs of ram. Most apps like Advance Task Killer do the job well but the app itself takes the memory which makes it a disadvantage having a third party app task killer but then they do free up memory very well. Until now I havent found an app which has very less ram consumption and frees up memory very well.

Sent from my SM-T210 using xda app-developers app

Current Devices:Motorola Moto G
ROM: Official CM11

Previous Devices:
Samsung Galaxy Star
Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3

Its going to be LEGEND--wait for it---DARY!-Barney Stinson(How I Met Your Mother)

NOTICE: Do not send me any PM asking for tech support! Use the search bar for that!

dtaylorr
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Default Simple, already built in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman38102 View Post
I do and also dont agree having task killer why? They dont kill every single app u wanted and thus free only 5MBs of ram. Most apps like Advance Task Killer do the job well but the app itself takes the memory which makes it a disadvantage having a third party app task killer but then they do free up memory very well.Until now I havent found an app which has very less ram consumption and frees up memory very well.

Sent from my SM-T210 using xda app-developers app
They already have a task killer/ram manager already built in.

Simply holding down the middle button brings up all your resent apps with the option to kill all on the right, and on the left an extension which shows among others a RAM Manager.
Proud owner of a Samsung S3, and Samsung Note 3

ironman38102
Old
Thanks Meter 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaylorr View Post
They already have a task killer/ram manager already built in.

Simply holding down the middle button brings up all your resent apps with the option to kill all on the right, and on the left an extension which shows among others a RAM Manager.
I do know that.

***Its Going To Be LEGEND--wait for it--DARY! -Barney Stinson(How I Met Your Mother)*** Crapatalk

Current Devices:Motorola Moto G
ROM: Official CM11

Previous Devices:
Samsung Galaxy Star
Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3

Its going to be LEGEND--wait for it---DARY!-Barney Stinson(How I Met Your Mother)

NOTICE: Do not send me any PM asking for tech support! Use the search bar for that!

sw6lee
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Default so laggy

Hi guys, I just got the tab 3 8.0, and I like most part of it but the performance is seriously bad..I have restored ask my apps from Google server and while running apps and switching between them, I can't take all the lags it has. I just got it today so I can return it if I want but I'm wondering if rooting this device actually gains much performance improvements. I used to have a galaxy s2x, which has a similar if not worse spec than this tablet, and I don't know if I was running rooted version of touchwiz or not but the performance was pretty good. This tablet is much worse. A simple reboot fixes the lag but after a few hours, as I use it, I notice the stutters while using it. I just had a serious lag in Google plus app, it was stuttering so bad, but it came back to smooth after 5 seconds.

So installing the custom Rom available for tab 3 8.0 improve the performance significantly? I know there are not many ROMs for tab 3 8.0, so any user of this device just rooted the tab and tweak it themselves to gain performance improvements? Not just little bit, but a lot.

Thanks!

Tags
guide enhancing tablet