Flashed the kernel now computer can't load it

Search This thread

rocketcoder

Mar 8, 2014
I flashed the kernel on my phone earlier today, now the computer keeps saying it can't find the driver for it. I'm on windows 7 and if I look under device manager I see HTC One X under "Other devices", I've tried different cable, different computer, uninstalling the driver and install the latest, but it still doesn't work. I can't boot the phone up all the way because the kernel isn't for the ROM I have. I can boot into recovery, which is ClockworkMod. I can't mount it, which is probably because the computer doesn't think the drivers are there. Anyone know how to fix this?

Oh, my phone is rooted and S-Offed.

Thanks.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
You need to provide details when asking for assistance. Saying "the kernel" doesn't tell us anything, please tell us exactly which kernel you flashed. You also failed to mention which ROM you're on, your bootloader details, the version of CWM you're running, the os installed on your PC, and whether you have the HTC One X (Endeavoru) or the HTC One XL / at&t One X (Evita). All very crucial information, without which it's impossible to help you.

Sent from my Evita

rocketcoder

Mar 8, 2014
The kernel was for the Cyanogenmod 11. The ROM I was running was a somewhat custom version of the original manufacture version, I don't remember which one exactly. I'm running CWM v6.0.4.6. The bootloader is the default I've never changed it. I'll give you what it says thought:

EVITA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
CID-11111111
HBOOT-1.14.002
RADIO-0.19as.32.09.11_2
OpenDSP-v29.1.0.45.0622
eMMC-boot

I believe I mentioned I was run Windows 7 x64 and it's AT&T HTC One X (Evita)

Let me know if there's anything else.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
So why not just flash the ROM again?

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

That will overwrite the bad kernel. Out of interest, if you knew the kernel wasn't compatible (aosp kernel with Sense ROM will never work) why did you flash it?

Sent from my Evita

rocketcoder

Mar 8, 2014
So why not just flash the ROM again?

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

That will overwrite the bad kernel. Out of interest, if you knew the kernel wasn't compatible (aosp kernel with Sense ROM will never work) why did you flash it?

Sent from my Evita

I put an AOSP kernel on because I was trying to get Cyanogenmod on it.

The computer recognizes my phone when I'm in the bootloader and it says Fastboot usb, but the One X One Click utility doesn't recognize that my phone is connected. Is there another utility I should use?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
You need the ROM on your phone before you can install the kernel. Forget the utility altogether and just use manual fastboot commands when you need to. Why do you need fastboot at the moment anyway? All you need to do is flash a ROM to get your phone booting again.

Sent from my Evita

rocketcoder

Mar 8, 2014
You need the ROM on your phone before you can install the kernel. Forget the utility altogether and just use manual fastboot commands when you need to. Why do you need fastboot at the moment anyway? All you need to do is flash a ROM to get your phone booting again.

Sent from my Evita

Ok, this is gonna sound Noob-ish, but obviously the way I'm use to doing it doesn't work, how do I flash another ROM to it?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
You're s-off so all you need to do is perform a wipe in recovery, and install the ROM zip (plus gapps zip if it's aosp). I have detailed instructions in my How-To Guide For Beginners thread, the link is in my signature.

Sent from my Evita

rocketcoder

Mar 8, 2014
You're s-off so all you need to do is perform a wipe in recovery, and install the ROM zip (plus gapps zip if it's aosp). I have detailed instructions in my How-To Guide For Beginners thread, the link is in my signature.

Sent from my Evita

How do I get the Zip to it if I can't access the phone like a drive on my computer?

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Can't you mount the sd card to the PC in CWM? If not, didn't you make a backup before messing with the phone? If you have a backup you can restore that. You should always keep a backup or a ROM zip on your phone at all times in case of situations like this. Or you can get fastboot working and flash TWRP 2.6 recovery instead of CWM and you'll be able to use the mount menu to mount usb storage, then it'll show up as a removable drive on your PC.

Sent from my Evita