Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,101 Members 43,146 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stock Rom Slot hypothetical failure

Tip us?

Raymondlikesroot
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Stock Rom Slot hypothetical failure

Hi guys,

I'm debating if I should flash Hyperdrive RLS 14 on my stock slot in safestrap. Would I still flash the modules (I have mk2 )? Also, what would I flash in odin just in case if I encounter some problem? Would I flash the no wipe image or the full wipe image of the stock mk2?

Anndddd! last question... can you restore a backup of a rom slot 1 onto the stock slot?

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1539

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondlikesroot View Post
Hi guys,

I'm debating if I should flash Hyperdrive RLS 14 on my stock slot in safestrap. Would I still flash the modules (I have mk2 )? Also, what would I flash in odin just in case if I encounter some problem? Would I flash the no wipe image or the full wipe image of the stock mk2?

Anndddd! last question... can you restore a backup of a rom slot 1 onto the stock slot?
I don't think you need to flash the kernel modules if you live dangerously and flash over the stock slot. However, it can't hurt to flash the MK2 modules. They're tiny, after all.

If you have problems, you may be able to fix it with a no-wipe. Otherwise, full-wipe will get it back.
If I were you, I'd download them both and verify MD5 sums before flashing over the stock slot. Then it's pretty easy to get something functional back.

Yes, Safestrap will let you flash a backup of slot one over stock. Will it work? Dunno. If you try it, please let us know.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

douger1957
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
I don't think you need to flash the kernel modules if you live dangerously and flash over the stock slot. However, it can't hurt to flash the MK2 modules. They're tiny, after all.

If you have problems, you may be able to fix it with a no-wipe. Otherwise, full-wipe will get it back.
If I were you, I'd download them both and verify MD5 sums before flashing over the stock slot. Then it's pretty easy to get something functional back.

Yes, Safestrap will let you flash a backup of slot one over stock. Will it work? Dunno. If you try it, please let us know.
For what it's worth, I've flashed Hyperdrive to the stock slot with no trouble at all. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to do so.

Verizon Samsung Galaxy 4 Hyperdrive ROM RLS 14 Safestrapped on MK2 Base

k1mu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1539

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by douger1957 View Post
For what it's worth, I've flashed Hyperdrive to the stock slot with no trouble at all. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to do so.
Yes, it'll probably work. For the kind of people who ask this - given how often it's been already asked and answered - it's better to recommend that they spend the time to understand the risk.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock NC5 rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1