Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,332 Members 53,093 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone dropped in water, USB Port stopped working

Tip us?

mertcanekiz
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Phone dropped in water, USB Port stopped working

Hi. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. Today I dropped it in water. It wasn't really that deep so the phone wasn't in water all the way. I picked it up right away and looked if something happened and it seemed like it was working. But now, I was about to charge it but I realized that I can't. The phone doesn't charge. I tried different charger and everything but still nothing. I guess it's because water got in the USB port. I haven't any other option but to send it to repair because I flashed custom roms so guarantee or the original service wouldn't do it. I'm wondering what is to be done, if I can do it myself, and if I can't, how much will it cost? Thanks.

lgkahn
Old
Thanks Meter 173
any time a phone or other elec. device is dropped in water, it should take out battery and put in rice (in sealed bag) for 2 days immediately or in somwhere warm at around 180-200 for hours.. any time you apply power to wet circuits you burn crap out.. you are most likely sol and i wouldnt bother sending it in they will probably charge you close to 200 .. just move on and buy a new phone.

gingystevie
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just though I'd add my 2 cents to this thread,

If the phone is working fine but it just won't charge or do anything with the mini usb connection, then the contacts for the mini usb to the motherboard may have a little corrosion on them. Clean then up and you should be good to go!

Carlyle_f
Old
Thanks Meter 44
My friends swear that immediately turning it off and putting it in a bowl of rice works, the rice draws liquid out I think. They're reckless and this always worked for them. You should try it before you take the phone in. Leave it in rice for 2 or 3 days.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't check the date of the OP
Sent from my U.S.S Enterprise NCC-1701-A
If I helped you, use the thanks button.