FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

About to pull the trigger on the T-mobile Note 3

1,129 posts
Thanks Meter: 283

By ajm786, Senior Member on 28th April 2014, 04:17 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I am about to buy this phone by this afternoon. I am coming from a Nexus 4. My reasons are as follows:

1. Need faster speeds (LTE).
2. Want an AMOLED screen
3. Need better battery life than what I have now

I fully intend to root this device and put CM 11 on it.

Please let me know what are the negatives that I'm in for. I've read some things, but nothing definitive that someone can point out. It would be much appreciated for those who actually have the phone to chime in and let me know what shortcomings you have with it so that I can ensure I'm making a sound decision.

Thanks as always!

28th April 2014, 06:24 PM |#2  
Flag Metro Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 294

More
You will catch hell from jealous people about the screen size, that's it. Enjoy this awesome phone!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jfree3000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2014, 07:37 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfree3000

You will catch hell from jealous people about the screen size, that's it. Enjoy this awesome phone!

Good one!

Do you have the phone? What negative experiences can you tell me about it?
28th April 2014, 07:38 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 270

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm786

I fully intend to root this device and put CM 11 on it.

If you have a choice between...

EDIT: Disregard the previous content - I was confusing my 900T and my 900V.

Frank
Last edited by Frank Westlake; 28th April 2014 at 08:03 PM.
28th April 2014, 07:40 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Westlake

If you have a choice between Android 4.3 and 4.4.x it might be better to get 4.3. From 4.3 you would be able to load an unauthorized 4.4.2 which has more potential then the authotized 4.4.2.

Frank

Sorry, I'm not following. I read some things about a newer bootloader which sort of screwed things up. Is that what you are referring to?
28th April 2014, 08:04 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 270

More
Quote:

Sorry, I'm not following.

Disregard - I edited my previous message.

Frank
29th April 2014, 12:53 AM |#7  
Flag Modesto
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Can't really think of any negatives. The Note 3 is a great phone. One negative you might get from someone is that the Amoled screens are notorious for having burn in. I have yet to experience this and haven't seen any reports of it on the Note 3. I don't think it's anything to worry about and I'm sure Samsung made sure the display on the Note 3 is top notch.

I just thought of a negative actually: in my opinion, the display is a bit over saturated, but it's not too bad.
29th April 2014, 12:54 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorsicc92

Can't really think of any negatives. The Note 3 is a great phone. One negative you might get from someone is that the Amoled screens are notorious for having burn in. I have yet to experience this and haven't seen any reports of it on the Note 3. I don't think it's anything to worry about and I'm sure Samsung made sure the display on the Note 3 is top notch.

I just thought of a negative actually: in my opinion, the display is a bit over saturated, but it's not too bad.

Would you guys say that CM11 is stable enough in its nightly form to be used as a daily driver?

And believe it or not, my Nexus 4 has temporary burn-in even though it's an IPS screen, while my old SGS 3 which is an AMOLED did NOT have any burn in.
29th April 2014, 01:05 AM |#9  
Flag Modesto
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:

Would you guys say that CM11 is stable enough in its nightly form to be used as a daily driver?

Haven't ran CM in a while. I feel I get a much more out of the phone on stock rom (with Google Now launcher and some Wanam Xposed modding)

but to answer your question, yes CM11 is very stable on the note 3 other than NFC not working. Unfortunately, you wont find any AOSP rom at this moment for the Note 3 that has NFC working. I can't really say if the latest CM11 nightlies are stable or not because I haven't ran CM in a while but there is the M5 build which I can tell you is stable. You can check the "official CM nighties" thread in the development section for more solid impute.

To make my answer more strait forward, CM11 nightless have always been stable enough for daily drivers (when I ran them) but I can't confirm that the latest builds are stable because I'm not running CM. Sorry if I'm confusing lol
Last edited by Liquorsicc92; 29th April 2014 at 01:27 AM. Reason: clarify
29th April 2014, 03:44 AM |#10  
Flag Metro Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 294

More
Quote:

Good one!

Do you have the phone? What negative experiences can you tell me about it?

Yes I do have a note 3. Best phone I have owned, no regrets, no negatives to me at least.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
29th April 2014, 03:44 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfree3000

Yes I do have a note 3. Best phone I have owned, no regrets, no negatives to me at least.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Awesome. Just bought the phone a few minutes ago. Can't wait!
The Following User Says Thank You to ajm786 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread