How I rooted my Note 3 (t-mobile) using a MAC

OP mlpmail

8th October 2013, 04:17 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 26

60 posts
Usual disclaimers this will void your warranty and may brick your phone,

This is not an all inclusive guide, just how I was able to install TWRP and root my Note 3 using a Mac Pro with OSX Mavericks. If you can't find the needed files you probably shouldn't be trying this.

I tried several things to Install TWRP - Kies, ADB, Fastboot, Odin for Mac, Odin for Windows running under Virtual Box. None of these worked.

What finally worked was using: The CLI version of Heimdall v1.4.0. From terminal with openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-hltetmo.img in your current directory the command to flash is:

heimdall flash --RECOVERY openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-hltetmo.img

Notes: kies must be uninstalled or you will get: libusbx: error [darwin_claim_interface] USBInterfaceOpen: another process has device opened for exclusive access
ERROR: Claiming interface failed!

RECOVERY must be all CAPS or flash will fail.
Phone must be in Odin mode from powered off VOL_DOWN--HOME--POWER

Once TWRP is installed I was able to download: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip and install it from TWRP in Recovery mode, This final step leaves you with ROOT on your phone.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mlpmail For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th October 2013, 12:51 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 248

266 posts
Wish I saw this earlier! Borrowed a friend's laptop just root the Note.

Good to know Heimdall 1.4 is working on it. I was hesitant to try it until it was confirmed working.
13th October 2013, 09:28 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

23 posts
More
this worked perfectly ! Thanks !
14th October 2013, 01:12 AM   |  #4  
Providence
Thanks Meter: 8

280 posts
More
Trying to Root Note 3 using this method but getting error message. I've uninstalled KIES from computer and I don't see it on the phone. Any help?
14th October 2013, 01:39 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

60 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarshall428

Trying to Root Note 3 using this method but getting error message. I've uninstalled KIES from computer and I don't see it on the phone. Any help?

When you uninstalled Kies did you use the uninstall program or did you just delete it from the applications folder? I used the uninstall program I got on the KiesMac_3.0_Setup.dmg
What is the exact error you are getting?
14th October 2013, 02:10 AM   |  #6  
Providence
Thanks Meter: 8

280 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpmail

When you uninstalled Kies did you use the uninstall program or did you just delete it from the applications folder? I used the uninstall program I got on the KiesMac_3.0_Setup.dmg
What is the exact error you are getting?

Uninstalled it from Computer
busbx: error [darwin_claim_interface] USBInterfaceOpen: another process has device opened for exclusive access

Actually i deleted it from Applications putting it in trash then erase, thinking that would remove it all

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 AM ----------

Quote:

busbx: error [darwin_claim_interface] USBInterfaceOpen: another process has device opened for exclusive access

Actually i deleted it from Applications putting it in trash then erase, thinking that would remove it all

Edit: I figured it out. Thanks
Last edited by mrmarshall428; 14th October 2013 at 02:04 AM.
14th October 2013, 02:15 AM   |  #7  
OP Member

60 posts
Quote:

Do you have any other program running that might be grabbing the phones usb connection? Parallels, virtualbox, fastboot, abd are a few things I can think of,
Try exiting any of these programs
If you have run adb since computer was rebooted try :

adb kill-server

I hope this helps, I can't think of anything else to try.
14th October 2013, 10:09 PM   |  #8  
Flag Lancaster
Thanks Meter: 18

161 posts
More
Knox
Only have a macbook as well wanting to know if this root method will mess with knox? I have read several articles about some root methods messing with the phone after rooting. can anyone confirm this?
15th October 2013, 08:23 AM   |  #9  
OP Member

60 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khrizg35

Only have a macbook as well wanting to know if this root method will mess with knox? I have read several articles about some root methods messing with the phone after rooting. can anyone confirm this?

This will trigger the knox flag disabling the knox features. There is now another way to get root that does not change the recovery partition or trip the knox flag, I have not looked into doing it, as I have already tripped my knox flag and as far as I can tell it cannot be undone.
15th October 2013, 06:04 PM   |  #10  
Flag Lancaster
Thanks Meter: 18

161 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpmail

This will trigger the knox flag disabling the knox features. There is now another way to get root that does not change the recovery partition or trip the knox flag, I have not looked into doing it, as I have already tripped my knox flag and as far as I can tell it cannot be undone.

So by tripping Knox we wouldn't be able to do a warranty exchange or phone cloak through t-mobile? Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure I do this right and appreciate the help

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
heimdall.root, mac, note 3, twrp
Previous Thread Next Thread