Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,486 Members 41,852 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How I rooted my Note 3 (t-mobile) using a MAC

Tip us?
 
mlpmail
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 60
Join Date: Dec 2005
Default How I rooted my Note 3 (t-mobile) using a MAC

Usual disclaimers this will void your warranty and may brick your phone,

This is not an all inclusive guide, just how I was able to install TWRP and root my Note 3 using a Mac Pro with OSX Mavericks. If you can't find the needed files you probably shouldn't be trying this.

I tried several things to Install TWRP - Kies, ADB, Fastboot, Odin for Mac, Odin for Windows running under Virtual Box. None of these worked.

What finally worked was using: The CLI version of Heimdall v1.4.0. From terminal with openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-hltetmo.img in your current directory the command to flash is:

heimdall flash --RECOVERY openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.1-hltetmo.img

Notes: kies must be uninstalled or you will get: libusbx: error [darwin_claim_interface] USBInterfaceOpen: another process has device opened for exclusive access
ERROR: Claiming interface failed!

RECOVERY must be all CAPS or flash will fail.
Phone must be in Odin mode from powered off VOL_DOWN--HOME--POWER



Once TWRP is installed I was able to download: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip and install it from TWRP in Recovery mode, This final step leaves you with ROOT on your phone.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mlpmail For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
MarksThinkTank
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 248
Posts: 266
Join Date: May 2012
Wish I saw this earlier! Borrowed a friend's laptop just root the Note.

Good to know Heimdall 1.4 is working on it. I was hesitant to try it until it was confirmed working.
Check out all my apps:

Wave Control - Control Your Phone Without Touching It (Updated for Note 3's Gesture Sensor)

Around Sound - Enjoy Your Music While Your Phone Pays Attention for You

Sound Asleep - Have Your Phone Listen for Your Snoring

Data Sleep - Keep the Notification LED Off While You Sleep

Flip Case Control - Auto Screen On/Off for the Flip Case on SGSIII, Note, Note II

NEW: Wave MultiTasker - Multitask with a Wave
 
fivestar0234
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 23
Join Date: Jul 2006
this worked perfectly ! Thanks !
 
mrmarshall428
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 280
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Providence
Trying to Root Note 3 using this method but getting error message. I've uninstalled KIES from computer and I don't see it on the phone. Any help?
 
mlpmail
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 60
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarshall428 View Post
Trying to Root Note 3 using this method but getting error message. I've uninstalled KIES from computer and I don't see it on the phone. Any help?
When you uninstalled Kies did you use the uninstall program or did you just delete it from the applications folder? I used the uninstall program I got on the KiesMac_3.0_Setup.dmg
What is the exact error you are getting?
 
mrmarshall428
Old
(Last edited by mrmarshall428; 14th October 2013 at 02:04 AM.)
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 280
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Providence
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpmail View Post
When you uninstalled Kies did you use the uninstall program or did you just delete it from the applications folder? I used the uninstall program I got on the KiesMac_3.0_Setup.dmg
What is the exact error you are getting?
Uninstalled it from Computer
busbx: error [darwin_claim_interface] USBInterfaceOpen: another process has device opened for exclusive access
ERROR: Claiming interface failed!

Actually i deleted it from Applications putting it in trash then erase, thinking that would remove it all

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarshall428 View Post
Uninstalled it from Computer
busbx: error [darwin_claim_interface] USBInterfaceOpen: another process has device opened for exclusive access
ERROR: Claiming interface failed!

Actually i deleted it from Applications putting it in trash then erase, thinking that would remove it all
Edit: I figured it out. Thanks
 
mlpmail
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 60
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarshall428 View Post
Uninstalled it from Computer
busbx: error [darwin_claim_interface] USBInterfaceOpen: another process has device opened for exclusive access
ERROR: Claiming interface failed!
Do you have any other program running that might be grabbing the phones usb connection? Parallels, virtualbox, fastboot, abd are a few things I can think of,
Try exiting any of these programs
If you have run adb since computer was rebooted try :

adb kill-server

I hope this helps, I can't think of anything else to try.
 
khrizg35
Old
#8  
khrizg35's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 161
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lancaster
Default Knox

Only have a macbook as well wanting to know if this root method will mess with knox? I have read several articles about some root methods messing with the phone after rooting. can anyone confirm this?
Galaxy Note 3
Not yet Rooted (mac)
 
mlpmail
Old
#9  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 60
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by khrizg35 View Post
Only have a macbook as well wanting to know if this root method will mess with knox? I have read several articles about some root methods messing with the phone after rooting. can anyone confirm this?
This will trigger the knox flag disabling the knox features. There is now another way to get root that does not change the recovery partition or trip the knox flag, I have not looked into doing it, as I have already tripped my knox flag and as far as I can tell it cannot be undone.
 
khrizg35
Old
#10  
khrizg35's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 161
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lancaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpmail View Post
This will trigger the knox flag disabling the knox features. There is now another way to get root that does not change the recovery partition or trip the knox flag, I have not looked into doing it, as I have already tripped my knox flag and as far as I can tell it cannot be undone.

So by tripping Knox we wouldn't be able to do a warranty exchange or phone cloak through t-mobile? Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure I do this right and appreciate the help
Galaxy Note 3
Not yet Rooted (mac)

Tags
heimdall.root, mac, note 3, twrp
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Secrecy Goes Open Source, Assures File Encryption

As some of you may remember, a while back we spoke about Secrecy, an effective file … more

[APK] Google News and Weather Gets Material Design Makeover, Minor Maps Updates

Although Google has somewhat gotten out of the habit of their … more

Software Build Automation with Jenkins – XDA Developer TV

Many members of the XDA community come to learn and begin in the exciting … more

Add Bits and Pieces of Honami to Your Current ROM

In the last few months, we’ve talked about quite a few Sony Honami-related projects. … more