Unhappy

bought wife a used S3, stuck on EDGE

30th April 2013, 06:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

15 posts
Hoping you guys can give me a hand. I'm fairly new to the GSM side of things. Too many years wasted on Sprint. hehe

So I picked up a used 32GB Galaxy S3 from some guy on craigslist ($340). it was in great cosmetic shape and i tested it before making the deal by making a phone call (with my SIM). it worked, deal made. we picked up a new SIM, i unrooted (it was kind of a mess), did a full factory wipe/reset and performed all the official t-mobile updates.

the device works fine and can make calls without issue but will not switch to HSPA even when my Nexus 4 and daughter's GNex are on HSPA+. It remains stuck on edge.

Galaxy S3 T999
IMEI matches with the IMEI on the back of the phone
Most recent baseband version (T999UVDLJC)
Flash counter showed 15 but status is normal and allowed me to run t-mo updates. i didn't bother with the triangle away app when unrooting since i did not intend to take it in to be serviced. i just wanted it back to stock for the wife.

I ran through all the troubleshooting with the t-mo tech support and nuthin'. Any ideas/suggestions?

thanks fellas. and yes, i did try searching for this problem. the closest thing i found was people talking about a corrupt IMEI number but the IMEI seems to be fine.
30th April 2013, 06:27 PM   |  #2  
Forum Moderator
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 1,853

3,296 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by comraderudy

Hoping you guys can give me a hand. I'm fairly new to the GSM side of things. Too many years wasted on Sprint. hehe

So I picked up a used 32GB Galaxy S3 from some guy on craigslist ($340). it was in great cosmetic shape and i tested it before making the deal by making a phone call (with my SIM). it worked, deal made. we picked up a new SIM, i unrooted (it was kind of a mess), did a full factory wipe/reset and performed all the official t-mobile updates.

the device works fine and can make calls without issue but will not switch to HSPA even when my Nexus 4 and daughter's GNex are on HSPA+. It remains stuck on edge.

Galaxy S3 T999
IMEI matches with the IMEI on the back of the phone
Most recent baseband version (T999UVDLJC)
Flash counter showed 15 but status is normal and allowed me to run t-mo updates. i didn't bother with the triangle away app when unrooting since i did not intend to take it in to be serviced. i just wanted it back to stock for the wife.

I ran through all the troubleshooting with the t-mo tech support and nuthin'. Any ideas/suggestions?

thanks fellas. and yes, i did try searching for this problem. the closest thing i found was people talking about a corrupt IMEI number but the IMEI seems to be fine.

What happened is the phone lost its IMEI and the previous owner did not have a backup of it to restore properly. This means he had to inject the IMEI, which has caused people to lose 3G/4G connectivity. This thread should help you out.
Last edited by Towle; 30th April 2013 at 07:10 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Towle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st May 2013, 03:33 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towle

What happened is the phone lost its IMEI and the previous owner did not have a backup of it to restore properly. This means he had to inject the IMEI, which has caused people to lose 3G/4G connectivity. This thread should help you out.

thank you sir! in the words of doubleya, "mission accomplished." 4G lit right up!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to comraderudy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st May 2013, 03:52 AM   |  #4  
Forum Moderator
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 1,853

3,296 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by comraderudy

thank you sir! in the words of doubleya, "mission accomplished." 4G lit right up!

Awesome, glad you got it working!
The Following User Says Thank You to Towle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st May 2013, 12:38 PM   |  #5  
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 26,305

28,191 posts
Donate to Me
More
Please read forum rules before posting
Questions and help issues go in Q&A
Thread moved
Thank you for your cooperation
Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
8th March 2014, 04:50 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Can you please post the link again it doesn't work please I'm also stuck on edge
Last edited by KennyG123; 8th March 2014 at 12:57 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread