Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,359 Members 41,586 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Satechi Media Remote

Tip us?

ShreddinPB
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Satechi Media Remote

So I got my Nexus 7, and think its awesome! I got mine so I can install it in the dashboard of my car to use as media player/navigation, all that good stuff.
I thought it would be great to use a bluetooth media remote attached to the steering wheel to control basic functions. I purchased the Satechi Media Remote, and for the most part it works perfect! There is only one main issue and one minor issue.

Main Issue:
The remote has a button on the bottom middle that has a square on it. It works just like pushing the Home button.
While it is in my dashboard, it will be rare that I need to go to the actual home screen, and instead i would like it to take me to the car dock app I use. I have been trying many things to get it to work and I can not get it to function as anything else!
I tried using the app "External Keyboard Helper" and it worked for remapping the other 2 lower buttons on the remote (which is part of question 2), but I can not get it to remap the middle button. When I use the degugger in External keyboard helper, if I push that button it doesnt log the keypress and goes to the home screen like it is supposed to. I tried manually setting the keycode (102) to run an app and it still just goes to the home screen.
The next thing I tried was to edit the actual keylayout files like what is outlined here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695936
Doing it this way I can not seem to get it to change any of the three buttons to anything else. At first I couldnt figure out which .kl file to edit, so I searched and replaced all instances of HOME and MOVE_HOME in all the files, and moved them back to the device, still no change.
Do I need to make a cutom .kl with the vendor name and id in the title?
Where do I get that information from?
I tried editing the file Vendor_05ac_Product_0239.kl since in its comments it says its for a "Apple Wireless Keyboard", which this device is supposed to emulate to work with ipods/ipads, still nothing.
I am at my witts end trying to find the right way to remap this one button on this little remote hahaha

The second issue which is very minor, which might not be solved in here. I want to map one of those other lower buttons to google voice search. When I run the setup for "External Keyboard Helper" it has a section for mapping the running of an app to a key, which worked for car dock and a car music player. The problem is, when I go to the Application shortcuts portion of the app, the only thing I see listed in there is "com.google.android.voicesearch". If I set that as the app to run when I press a key I see this..
"com.google.android.voicesearch is not installed"
Is there a way to launch google voice search without having to click on the microphone in the search bar?

ShreddinPB
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I got the thing working! I had to make a new KL file for the "keyboard"
I found this thread that told me how to get the vendor and product id, that seemed to be what was missing.
http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/to...rd-rooted.html
The file name needs to match those.. its information is

Vendor ID 05ac
Product ID 023c
so the kl file is named
Vendor_05ac_Product_023c.kl
The scan codes for the three lower buttons are
161 (bottom left with the keyboard logo)
172 (middle bottom with the square)
113 (bottom right with the mute logo)

I changed the one for the bottom middle to SEARCH, and from that point on I could remap the key with the app External Keyboard Helper.

Next thing I need to do is figure out how to run a app from a keypress without using that remapper.. and how to start google search from a keypress

daclothe
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreddinPB View Post
I got the thing working! I had to make a new KL file for the "keyboard"
I found this thread that told me how to get the vendor and product id, that seemed to be what was missing.
http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/to...rd-rooted.html
The file name needs to match those.. its information is

Vendor ID 05ac
Product ID 023c
so the kl file is named
Vendor_05ac_Product_023c.kl
The scan codes for the three lower buttons are
161 (bottom left with the keyboard logo)
172 (middle bottom with the square)
113 (bottom right with the mute logo)

I changed the one for the bottom middle to SEARCH, and from that point on I could remap the key with the app External Keyboard Helper.

Next thing I need to do is figure out how to run a app from a keypress without using that remapper.. and how to start google search from a keypress
have you made any progress on this? i'm interested in this as well...

NRGZ28
Old
Retired Senior Mod & Senior RD - (old) King of WinMo
Thanks Meter 10,010
I got one of these remotes as well to use as a music/gps remote in my vehicle mounted Nexus 7. It works well, but let's hope a smart developer will make a better "external keyboard helper".
.. - Energy ROM Chef -..

Click below for ROM threads

(OneX, OneS, Amaze, Sensation, HD2, EVO 4G, Inspire 4G, Vision, Incredible 2, Desire HD, MyTouch4G)
(Asus Transformer TF101 / TF201 / TF300 )
(Kindle Fire ROM)
(Motorola Razr M)

shazadano1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi can someone share his .kl file.
The Satechi device doesn't work at all with my MK888b box.

gut4
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Interesting in this too

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app