Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,935 Members 52,714 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Will OTA return to S-ON and relock bootloader?

Tip us?

dmdubois
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Will OTA return to S-ON and relock bootloader?

My M7 had quite the meltdown yesterday, highlighted by what seems to be a corruption of my cache partition. Long, long story short, I was able to use the ruu to 2.10.605, where everything seemed fine. Funny enough, I kept s-off and an unlocked bootloader through the process.

I was content to keep the phone as is, since my f'ing with it surely caused the cache issue. But, to be safe, I rerooted, installed CWM (TWRP will not install for me, despite a dozen efforts), and backed up. Then, to see if the problem had been solved, I tried to wipe cache, but no dice. I won't be installing original ROMs anymore, it seeems. Not a huge deal since I at least have a functional phone, but now it has downloaded 4.4 and wants to update. A couple of questions:

Should I assume that the update will likely run into cache-related issues?

Will the update relock the bootloader and/or return the phone to S-on?

If either of these is a yes, I'm thinking about using the 2.10 ruu again, returning everything as was, and then installing santod's OTA killer. I can live with 4.3 on this phone for another year - not ideal, but considering the alternatives...

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have an idea about all this.

santod040
Old
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8,003

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdubois View Post
My M7 had quite the meltdown yesterday, highlighted by what seems to be a corruption of my cache partition. Long, long story short, I was able to use the ruu to 2.10.605, where everything seemed fine. Funny enough, I kept s-off and an unlocked bootloader through the process.

I was content to keep the phone as is, since my f'ing with it surely caused the cache issue. But, to be safe, I rerooted, installed CWM (TWRP will not install for me, despite a dozen efforts), and backed up. Then, to see if the problem had been solved, I tried to wipe cache, but no dice. I won't be installing original ROMs anymore, it seeems. Not a huge deal since I at least have a functional phone, but now it has downloaded 4.4 and wants to update. A couple of questions:

Should I assume that the update will likely run into cache-related issues?

Will the update relock the bootloader and/or return the phone to S-on?

If either of these is a yes, I'm thinking about using the 2.10 ruu again, returning everything as was, and then installing santod's OTA killer. I can live with 4.3 on this phone for another year - not ideal, but considering the alternatives...

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have an idea about all this.
Question for you...
Where did you get your Recoveries from that you installed or tried to install?
Did you grab the versions for the m7vzw in our Verizon HTC One Original Development section?
Or did you install one intended for the International m7?
Current Devices: HTC Thunderbolt | HTC Droid DNA | HTC One - m7 | HTC One - m8

Follow me on Twitter
ULTIMATE WALLS WVGA Wallpaper Collection
Donations always appreciated! Never required!

The Following User Says Thank You to santod040 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dmdubois
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by santod040 View Post
Question for you...
Where did you get your Recoveries from that you installed or tried to install?
Did you grab the versions for the m7vzw in our Verizon HTC One Original Development section?
Or did you install one intended for the International m7?
Yes, I got them from this site, under that section. I just installed Phil's CWM, which booted, and allowed me to clear the cache (!), but now I can't install a rom. I tried your NuSense Max and your odexed 4.42....in both cases I got a status 7 error. (Before I tried either one, I updated the firmware, fyi.)

Fortunately Phil's CWM backup process is simpler and faster. Unless there are other suggestions, I think I'll tried flashing your OTA killer and live with 4.3

Thanks again.

santod040
Old
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8,003

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdubois View Post
Yes, I got them from this site, under that section. I just installed Phil's CWM, which booted, and allowed me to clear the cache (!), but now I can't install a rom. I tried your NuSense Max and your odexed 4.42....in both cases I got a status 7 error. (Before I tried either one, I updated the firmware, fyi.)

Fortunately Phil's CWM backup process is simpler and faster. Unless there are other suggestions, I think I'll tried flashing your OTA killer and live with 4.3

Thanks again.
Twrp 2.6.3.3 or 2.6.3.4 will install those Roms.
You can always do fastboot erase cache
That will clear the cache.
Until a newly installed recovery has booted into the OS once, it usually won't clear cache.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
Current Devices: HTC Thunderbolt | HTC Droid DNA | HTC One - m7 | HTC One - m8

Follow me on Twitter
ULTIMATE WALLS WVGA Wallpaper Collection
Donations always appreciated! Never required!

The Following User Says Thank You to santod040 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dmdubois
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by santod040 View Post
Twrp 2.6.3.3 or 2.6.3.4 will install those Roms.
You can always do fastboot erase cache
That will clear the cache.
Until a newly installed recovery has booted into the OS once, it usually won't clear cache.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
It worked.

I don't know what in the hell I've been doing (I swear that's the same TWRP file I've been using) but, just like that, it booted, and successfully installed your NuSense Max Rom. No more 4.3, no cache issues, no more worry about OTAs. You're the man!

Thanks a million.