Post Reply

Noise Cancelling

OP sonwon

25th October 2010, 10:49 PM   |  #1  
sonwon's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 121
 
437 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
Hi peeps,

I had an idea on the airplane today. I am sitting there wishing my headset would cancel the noise instead of deaden the noise. When I realized that my Android's microphone could listen to the noise and send negative sound waves to the earphones resulting in noise cancellation. Can someone build this application?

There should be a range control to control what type of noise i canceled and a control that would allow more or less cancellation. And of course the volume to the headset should still work. Would be nice if movies and audio files could also be played.

Also, don't attempt to make money on this idea because I am claiming this idea for the open source community.
The Following User Says Thank You to sonwon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th October 2010, 06:25 AM   |  #2  
Gahh Its Lee's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 262
 
2,567 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
I was actually thinking about this the other day. I cant really see much of a reason the normal mic couldnt be used to cancel ambient noise
26th October 2010, 08:07 AM   |  #3  
mercianary's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Brum
Thanks Meter: 69
 
722 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Great idea, can't imagine the mic being high enough quality for this to be effective.

I think using the handsfree mic would be a better option as the phone spends most of its time in your pocket.
26th October 2010, 09:25 AM   |  #4  
Gahh Its Lee's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 262
 
2,567 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercianary

Great idea, can't imagine the mic being high enough quality for this to be effective.

I think using the handsfree mic would be a better option as the phone spends most of its time in your pocket.

Im not sure about others but my phone is basically always in my hand. I text like crazy and rarely have time to put it away
26th October 2010, 07:35 PM   |  #5  
sonwon's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 121
 
437 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercianary

Great idea, can't imagine the mic being high enough quality for this to be effective.

I think using the handsfree mic would be a better option as the phone spends most of its time in your pocket.

Not sure about the mic quality until someone tries.

My earphones don't have a mic and it wouldn't be to much trouble to leave it out of the pocket when using the noise canceling feature. Could also be done so the phone mic only cancels the noise it hears to and the boom mic would still work normally. So the person on the other end would hear less noise.

I need someone to write the program?
20th February 2011, 03:22 PM   |  #6  
sonwon's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 121
 
437 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
No developers wanna try? I'll be a tester.
20th February 2011, 08:09 PM   |  #7  
NeoAcheron's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Johannesburg
Thanks Meter: 0
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
More
Noise cancelling wouldn't be that easy, the delay of capturing, processing and creating the cancellation sound stream would make the sound cancelling ineffective. Have a look on wikipedia for "Active Noise Control".

Such a feature would be damn amazing though. I hope someone might be able to prove me wrong.
21st February 2011, 12:07 AM   |  #8  
sonwon's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 121
 
437 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoAcheron

Noise cancelling wouldn't be that easy, the delay of capturing, processing and creating the cancellation sound stream would make the sound cancelling ineffective. Have a look on wikipedia for "Active Noise Control".

Such a feature would be damn amazing though. I hope someone might be able to prove me wrong.

I would think the delay would be very small and not noticeable, but maybe I am wrong?
21st February 2011, 03:32 AM   |  #9  
bivio's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
Instead of active noise cancelling for all sounds, some sounds are predictable once sampled. The hum of an airplane for example doesn't really change that much. Woulnt someone be able to sample a ~5 second clip and then process that, and repeat it?

Sent from a touch tone tele-phone.
21st February 2011, 03:35 AM   |  #10  
sageDieu's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Weaverville, NC
Thanks Meter: 419
 
2,114 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bivio

Instead of active noise cancelling for all sounds, some sounds are predictable once sampled. The hum of an airplane for example doesn't really change that much. Woulnt someone be able to sample a ~5 second clip and then process that, and repeat it?

Sent from a touch tone tele-phone.

Yeah maybe you could have a noise canceling app or something that you run and it listens with the mic and makes a sample to use while you play your music or whatever, then just listens for changes, loud noises, etc to actively cancel rather than constantly listening and using everything.


Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Android General by ThreadRank