Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,139 Members 51,901 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Noise Cancelling

Tip us?

sonwon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 115
Default Noise Cancelling

Hi peeps,

I had an idea on the airplane today. I am sitting there wishing my headset would cancel the noise instead of deaden the noise. When I realized that my Android's microphone could listen to the noise and send negative sound waves to the earphones resulting in noise cancellation. Can someone build this application?

There should be a range control to control what type of noise i canceled and a control that would allow more or less cancellation. And of course the volume to the headset should still work. Would be nice if movies and audio files could also be played.

Also, don't attempt to make money on this idea because I am claiming this idea for the open source community.
The Following User Says Thank You to sonwon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gahh Its Lee
Old
Thanks Meter 262
I was actually thinking about this the other day. I cant really see much of a reason the normal mic couldnt be used to cancel ambient noise

mercianary
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Great idea, can't imagine the mic being high enough quality for this to be effective.

I think using the handsfree mic would be a better option as the phone spends most of its time in your pocket.

Gahh Its Lee
Old
Thanks Meter 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercianary View Post
Great idea, can't imagine the mic being high enough quality for this to be effective.

I think using the handsfree mic would be a better option as the phone spends most of its time in your pocket.
Im not sure about others but my phone is basically always in my hand. I text like crazy and rarely have time to put it away

sonwon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercianary View Post

Not sure about the mic quality until someone tries.

My earphones don't have a mic and it wouldn't be to much trouble to leave it out of the pocket when using the noise canceling feature. Could also be done so the phone mic only cancels the noise it hears to and the boom mic would still work normally. So the person on the other end would hear less noise.

I need someone to write the program?

sonwon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 115
No developers wanna try? I'll be a tester.

NeoAcheron
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Noise cancelling wouldn't be that easy, the delay of capturing, processing and creating the cancellation sound stream would make the sound cancelling ineffective. Have a look on wikipedia for "Active Noise Control".

Such a feature would be damn amazing though. I hope someone might be able to prove me wrong.
NeoAcheron
| HTC Desire HD
| ROM: Android Revolution HD

sonwon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoAcheron View Post
Noise cancelling wouldn't be that easy, the delay of capturing, processing and creating the cancellation sound stream would make the sound cancelling ineffective. Have a look on wikipedia for "Active Noise Control".

Such a feature would be damn amazing though. I hope someone might be able to prove me wrong.
I would think the delay would be very small and not noticeable, but maybe I am wrong?

bivio
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Instead of active noise cancelling for all sounds, some sounds are predictable once sampled. The hum of an airplane for example doesn't really change that much. Woulnt someone be able to sample a ~5 second clip and then process that, and repeat it?

Sent from a touch tone tele-phone.

sageDieu
Old
Thanks Meter 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by bivio View Post
Instead of active noise cancelling for all sounds, some sounds are predictable once sampled. The hum of an airplane for example doesn't really change that much. Woulnt someone be able to sample a ~5 second clip and then process that, and repeat it?

Sent from a touch tone tele-phone.
Yeah maybe you could have a noise canceling app or something that you run and it listens with the mic and makes a sample to use while you play your music or whatever, then just listens for changes, loud noises, etc to actively cancel rather than constantly listening and using everything.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Samsung Galaxy S4

Google Nexus 7 2013