FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Turn Your Camera Into a Live Puzzle Game

The classic sliding puzzle game hasnt changed much, if at all, over the years. Dating all the way … more

Samsung Begins Production of 8 Gb RAM Chips

With the release of Android 5.0, our favorite mobile operating system has become 64-bit ready. … more

CM, Micromax and OnePlus – Sales Ban Lifted

It’s less than a week since our recent in-depth analysis of the legal battle over the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Cracked SK17 Screen Stopped Responding

OP the13thing

17th March 2014, 01:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
Hey!

A few months ago I dropped my SK17 and the screen cracked. Despite being cracked and with pieces falling apart, the screen worked perfectly. Yesterday I dropped my phone again and it stopped responding to touch. The screen looks exactly as before falling but it stopped responding to touch. The soft keys still work. Will replacing the screen solve the problem? I already flashed my phone to an original firmware but it solved nothing. I don't mind replacing the screen and spending a few bucks to get my phone working but I'd like to be sure if the problem's in the lcd.
18th March 2014, 03:06 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 48

269 posts
Well, yeah, your touch digitizer might have hit it's stress breakpoint. Replacing the screen assembly will do the trick.
In case you didn't know, the display and touch glass are glued on the xmp, which makes replacements more expensive than expected. But whatever the cost is, it's better to spend ~35 bucks and restore your phone's full functionality than to keep using it like a brackberry haha.

Be extremely careful if you plan on replacing it yourself. Look around for the best/most trusted repair shop/center if you plan on sending it to someone else for repair. You really don't want to deal with wonky touch response or bad color reproduction because of a cheap replacement part, I know, I've been there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pixelado For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th March 2014, 01:25 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
Thanks, I was thinking in replacing the screen myself. I've already disassembled the phone up to the screen but I didn't took it off. Is it hard to take it off and put the new screen on? Do I have to glue it to the front cover?
18th March 2014, 04:23 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 48

269 posts
Ok, if you have dissasembled the phone and assembled it back successfully, you already know the basic structure, so that's good.

The screen assembly is glued to the plastic + metal frame, and it's pretty hard to pry it apart. Make sure to use non-metallic prying tools and a heat gun (a hair drier will do fine). Using a heat gun gives you a chance to reuse the original double-sided tape, which is strong enough to keep the screen from lifting. Replacing this tape is not a good idea because aftermarket tape is not nearly as strong as the one that came with the phone (unless you manage to get 3M VHB tape).

Once you stuck the screen assembly to the frame, be extra careful when putting everything back in place. The frame has tiny clips which need to be PERFECTLY aligned, otherwise... you'll know it when you get there haha. You can leave the frame in place without the screws, it'll be easier to open it again in case something goes wrong (you wont need to open the phone from the back to access the display)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread