Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,363 Members 48,258 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chinese Phone's on US Tmobile 4g

Tip us?

MrStuky
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Smile Chinese Phone's on US Tmobile 4g

Hello Guys, was wondering, would you guys recommend a chinese smartphone to use in Tmobile's 4G network? I was thinking of buying rollmid(dot)com/new-arrival-mtk6577-n9776-6-inch-fwvga-smartphone-1-2ghz-dual-core-3200mah-wifi-5-0mp-camera.html
or one of the phones mentioned in some other threads such as Haipai I9220 etc. My question is, would you guys recommend using any chinese smartphone? If so which one would be best for the tmobile 4g network and that can be rooted?

Thanks.

Paul in Maryland
Old
(Last edited by Paul in Maryland; 5th August 2012 at 03:29 AM.)
Thanks Meter 12
You and i think alike! I am looking at 6-inch, 854 x 480 phones, or "phablets" . For now, the N9776 appears to be the best: It's shortest (158mm), narrowest (87mm), has the largest battery (3200 mAH), and is the only one with Dolby 5.1 speakers, if the specifications are correct. At about $200 shipped, it's also just about the cheapest.

The CarPad Note5 F6 was the first. It may be the best-built and most intelligently designed, like an Apple product Available with an MTK5675 or MTK5677 dual-core CPU. The LCD is definitely IPS; maybe the others, are, too.

The a9800 and i9800 use the older MTK6575 CPU.

The n9880 (corrected from n9800) has only 260,000 colors, so it is not IPS. But it has 8GB of ROM. The Viewsonic n9880 claims to use an MTK6577; other n9880 variations, only the MTK6575.

All have only 512MB of RAM, even if the seller says 1GB.

Although none has the 1700 MHz band, they all have 2100 and of course 850/1900. I plan to join T-Mobile's $30-a-month prepaid online plan: 5GB of 4G data, only 100MB of voice. Yes, I will only get 2G speeds for now. But where I live and work, in the Washington, DC, area, HSPA+ will migrate to 1900 MHz by January 2013.

A friend of mine advised me, "Don't get a cheap Chinese phone! You'll regret it! A smarphone is difficult to make." But I am a family man; I don't have $600 for a Samsung Note, and even a used Note, at $350 to $450, i s a lot of money. T-Mobile will have a Note with 1700 MHz and 1900 MHz for $250, but only if you accept a 2-year contract. No, thanks.

If 6 inches is too large, by mid August there will be 2, 3, or 4 phones with a 5.3-inch display whose resolution reaches 960 x 540. The best-known of these is the MeePad i5270.

MrStuky
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Maryland View Post
You and i think alike! I am looking at 6-inch, 854 x 480 phones, or "phablets" . For now, the N9776 appears to be the best: It's shortest (158mm), narrowest (87mm), has the largest battery (3200 mAH), and is the only one with Dolby 5.1 speakers, if the specifications are correct. At about $200 shipped, it's also just about the cheapest.

The CarPad Note5 F6 was the first. It may be the best-built and most intelligently designed, like an Apple product Available with an MTK5675 or MTK5677 dual-core CPU. The LCD is definitely IPS; maybe the others, are, too.

The a9800 and i9800 use the older MTK6575 CPU.

The n9880 (corrected from n9800) has only 260,000 colors, so it is not IPS. But it has 8GB of ROM. The Viewsonic n9880 claims to use an MTK6577; other n9880 variations, only the MTK6575.

All have only 512MB of RAM, even if the seller says 1GB.

Although none has the 1700 MHz band, they all have 2100 and of course 850/1900. I plan to join T-Mobile's $30-a-month prepaid online plan: 5GB of 4G data, only 100MB of voice. Yes, I will only get 2G speeds for now. But where I live and work, in the Washington, DC, area, HSPA+ will migrate to 1900 MHz by January 2013.

A friend of mine advised me, "Don't get a cheap Chinese phone! You'll regret it! A smarphone is difficult to make." But I am a family man; I don't have $600 for a Samsung Note, and even a used Note, at $350 to $450, i s a lot of money. T-Mobile will have a Note with 1700 MHz and 1900 MHz for $250, but only if you accept a 2-year contract. No, thanks.

If 6 inches is too large, by mid August there will be 2, 3, or 4 phones with a 5.3-inch display whose resolution reaches 960 x 540. The best-known of these is the MeePad i5270.
I've seen the youtube reviews, and so far I'm liking these cheap chinese phones! Currently, my sister's and mom's phone and mine took a dumb on us! Since I am on a special plan I have to purchase phones retail price. Do you know if the N9776 is available to be rooted? And have you purchased any of these yet?

Thanks

Paul in Maryland
Old
(Last edited by Paul in Maryland; 5th August 2012 at 08:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 12
I don't know whether the N9776 can be rooted. If it becomes popular, I am sure that someone at XDA will figure out a way.

No, I have not bought yet. I was going to get the N9776 because it's only $200 shipped and "may" have Dolby 5.1 speakers (I don't know how). But now I plan to buy the Note5 F6 because of this comment by XDA member Robarnold:
Everything works well so far -.seems much slicker and quicker than my Haipad (though no complaints about that) Although externally it is only a very little larger than the Haipd the increase in screen size is quite noticeable. It came with ICS but suppliers expect a stable JB rom soon and say they'll provide me with a link."
and, perhaps even more so, because of the F6's design details explained on the manufacturer's F6 home page.

Laprince
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I bliv it can be rooted , just like u mentioned, once it gains popularity, Rooting procedures will be made available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Maryland View Post
I don't know whether the N9776 can be rooted. If it becomes popular, I am sure that someone at XDA will figure out a way.

No, I have not bought yet. I was going to get the N9776 because it's only $200 shipped and "may" have Dolby 5.1 speakers (I don't know how). But now I plan to buy the Note5 F6 because of this comment by XDA member Robarnold:
Everything works well so far -.seems much slicker and quicker than my Haipad (though no complaints about that) Although externally it is only a very little larger than the Haipd the increase in screen size is quite noticeable. It came with ICS but suppliers expect a stable JB rom soon and say they'll provide me with a link."
and, perhaps even more so, because of the F6's design details explained on the manufacturer's F6 home page.

Paul in Maryland
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Default N9776 forum

There's already an N9776 forum. The brand appears to be either Dapeng or Star.

vinski2008
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I just bought one of these phones.. and yes you can use it on Tmobile.. for safety sake make your purchase through aliexpress.com they have an escrow service that holds your funds until the seller ships the device and you confirm receipt.. if its not to your liking or it never gets sent you can request a refund and they put the cash back on your card.

Back to the phones.. most of the chinese market is built on the MTK processor The current build is the MTK6577 which is their current dual-core @ 1.2ghz the 6577 is single core @1.0ghz DO NOT purchase any phone with MTK6516 that was their first phone processor and is slow as **** on android.. 6575, 6577 and the 6589 (quad-core) due out this december.. make sure the phone has at minimum a 4GB rom because the OS plus the MTK support software will take up half of the internal memory.. I bought a 7" phone tablet (search for A70 mtk6573) and it was decent for a full tablet with calling ability (rare back then) but it 0nly had a 1gb rom ( I learned though) and its okay its just that all programs have to be installed to SD card. Most of the suppliers will root the phones for you too.. Good luck!! I have 3 of them coming monday ..PS.. always choose DHL shipping 3 days from china to your door.. EMS and china post take FOREVER (up to 21 days) and sometimes lose the parcel. its totally worth the extra 25 bucks!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vinski2008 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Paul in Maryland
Old
(Last edited by Paul in Maryland; 9th August 2012 at 02:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 12
Default Chinese 6-inch phones: CarPad F6, N9776, and N9880

Great tips, Vinski. I just bought a Star N9880 from Fastcardtech.com and arranged for it to be sent by EMS, which the seller strongly recommends. EMS was at least $15 cheaper than DHL. Here's hoping all goes well. With a spare battery, a case, protective film, and a 4.5 percent Paypal fee (yes, I had to pay it), my total came to about U.S. $275

I had been leaning toward two alternative 6-inchers: The Carpad Note5 F6 and the (Star?) N9776. The Carpad is a class act of design and manufacture; at 256 grams, it's also the heaviest by a good 2 ounces. But in 6577 trim, it would have cost $35 more than the comparably spec'd N9880. More to the point, the F6's designer/developer, "Kay send" (as he's called in the Google translation of the Note5 F6 forum), is continually improving the model (better battery, free second-color back) and hinting at successors. I would have felt like a chump paying a premium for a phone that would soon be eclipsed. The forum members are clamoring for a 6577 version with an IPS display and 960 x 540 resolution, or an MTK6588 version in January with IPS and 1280 x 720. I haven't owned a phone in more than 3 years, and I'm tired of waiting.

Most N9880s come with a slim flip case; that's a plus, since the phone-case aftermarket hasn't caught up with the size of these jumbo phones. In truth, I tried to order an iron-colored N9776 at Rollmid.com. But PayPal reported something like "This seller cannot currently accept payments," and my purchase was automatically canceled. I then almost ordered it from Alibaba for the same price. But on Alibaba it was offered only in white and I saw no way to order the "optional" case. (The case was listed nowhere on rollmid, either.)

N9880s are starting to appear on eBay. But they all use the older, MTK6575 CPU and have only 260,000 colors. The N9776, with 16 million colors, a shorter length, a narrower width, and Dolby 5.1 speakers (don't ask me how), handily beats them. Nearly all of Alibaba's 9880s likewise use the older CPU and claim to have only 260,000 colors.

The 9880 sold by Fastcardtech can't match the N9776's smaller area, but it does match its internal specs: 6577 1.2 GHz CPU, 16 million colors, largish battery (2800). In fact, it has two features the N9776 doesn't: Bluetooth 2.1 (vs. 2.0) and a lithium-polymer battery (vs. lithium-ion). So I bought it. I dunno whether the brand is Dapeng, Star, Telsda, or Viewsonic. When I receive it, I'll report what I find in this thread. I'm hoping the claimed 1GB of RAM is for real.

My only reservation about this model is that, unlike the N9776 and the F6, it currently has no enthusiast forum. But maybe the three phones, and the lesser Dapeng i9800 / Star i9800, are all similar enough that ROM tricks and OS updates will work for all of them.

Paul in Maryland
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Default N9880 with MTK6577

Hmmm. FastTech just dropped the price of their high-end N9880 from $234 to $212. I wonder whether they'll credit me the difference. Next to the price, it says, "in stock; ships in 1-3 working days." But in a response to a comment posted today, the company says that it's not yet in stock. A delay no longer than a week or so would be worth it if it means the phone would then come with Android 4.1.

umgrybab
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default 4g working?

Does the 4g or 3g actually work in North America? I had bought a Gooapple V5 3G but the 3G never worked in North America because of the band it operated on. It does however work in the UK and Europe which is what I wanted.