Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,274 Members 45,620 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ultra or another Smartphone?

Tip us?

rb69
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Service Ultra or another Smartphone?

Hello

I lost my ultra few weeks back! tried tracing and all no luck. Now back to business of buying a new phone.

1. I am still bent towards Ultra (6833) - question is what and how long is the future for it in terms of support / firmwares etc.
2. I dont see a comparable newer devices which I can opt - I like xperia z ultra pretty much and inclined on it having used it of more than 6 months. - Z2 etc I have seen, but screen size andworkable area that impresses me

what other devices are possible better - pls dont push me for HTC or Sammy

thx
ram
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony Xperia Z2
Sony Xperia Z Ultra - Again [sold]!
Sony Xperia Z Ultra - lost
iPhone 5 [sold]
Samsung Galaxy Note II [sold]
Samsung Galaxy S II [sold]
Samsung Galaxy P6200 Tab
Sony Xperia Arc - Gone!
Sony Ericsson W800i - Still Going good
Sony Ericsson P800 - history!

SpyderTracks
Old
Thanks Meter 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb69 View Post
Hello

I lost my ultra few weeks back! tried tracing and all no luck. Now back to business of buying a new phone.

1. I am still bent towards Ultra (6833) - question is what and how long is the future for it in terms of support / firmwares etc.
2. I dont see a comparable newer devices which I can opt - I like xperia z ultra pretty much and inclined on it having used it of more than 6 months. - Z2 etc I have seen, but screen size andworkable area that impresses me

what other devices are possible better - pls dont push me for HTC or Sammy

thx
ram
If updates is important and you love the ultra, check out the GPE edition. I'd say sony version will have support until Sept 2015.

If you're looking for something updated with a big screen there are lots on the horizon...

Huawei MediaPad X1
http://Huawei MediaPad X1 is the lig...gadget Android

Nexus 6 is being released soon, produced by lenovo.

Lumia 1520 if you fancy a change from android.

Loads of Chinese newcomers from Huawei, Oppo and others.

The blackphone looks promising also if you're interested in security.

...to name a few.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6833
Stock .257 Unrooted

Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000, iPhone 3GS, HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Universal, Sony Ericsson P990i, boat load of nokia's for a long time.

I love this site!!! Thanks to all

rb69
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderTracks View Post
If updates is important and you love the ultra, check out the GPE edition. I'd say sony version will have support until Sept 2015.

If you're looking for something updated with a big screen there are lots on the horizon...

Huawei MediaPad X1
http://Huawei MediaPad X1 is the lig...gadget Android

Nexus 6 is being released soon, produced by lenovo.

Lumia 1520 if you fancy a change from android.

Loads of Chinese newcomers from Huawei, Oppo and others.

The blackphone looks promising also if you're interested in security.

...to name a few.

Lumina had a look - a bit heavy, no option for screen mirroring - its pretty much useful a useful feature for playing media. No inclination to Huwaei - never really liked them yet

Screen size and display resolution is one aspect I am looking for - but not a firmware upgrade which I would love to have but low priority.
4.4 will do well for a year as any newer upgrades will take looking at current trends at least 9 months.

7" + sizes a for sure no-no for me. Didnt see Nexus 6 specs yet since its going to be launched later this year - Aug / Sep

6806 or 6833 - I dont see a real diff except GPE - Sony stock works fine for me, no complaints. just need LTE..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony Xperia Z2
iPhone 5 [sold]
Samsung Galaxy P6200 Tab
Sony Xperia Arc - Gone!

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5648
You can get the Nokia X, laugh about it for about 4 months, throw it into a river and get the Ultra 2
The Following User Says Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rb69
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
You can get the Nokia X, laugh about it for about 4 months, throw it into a river and get the Ultra 2
Not so sure yet of ultra 2 since still it is in rumor mill. Rather spend $$ on Nok x, would prefer to grab a something good and move on

was just wondering if any other devices are in line in coming weeks rather months. MWC didn't give any hopes

before getting Ultra this weekend, was wondering about any closer devices.
Sony Xperia Z2
iPhone 5 [sold]
Samsung Galaxy P6200 Tab
Sony Xperia Arc - Gone!

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5648
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb69 View Post
Not so sure yet of ultra 2 since still it is in rumor mill. Rather spend $$ on Nok x, would prefer to grab a something good and move on

was just wondering if any other devices are in line in coming weeks rather months. MWC didn't give any hopes

before getting Ultra this weekend, was wondering about any closer devices.
Hmm, the new HTC One is coming this month, but we've all seen it already and I'm personally not impressed by its design, but that's just me.

- Samsung released the S5 and that about it really. They have the Mega which they'll probably update soon, but it will still be a mod-range device.

- HTC is going to release the new One and Desire etc. No idea if they'll update the Max.

- LG released that.. phablet thing last week? Or? I'm not sure.

- Motorola has the G and X. No phablets.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

jaime4272
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Now that I see the Huawei MediaPad X1. being that I love big phones/tablet = phablets i'm wondering if there will be any support so that we can root it and all the good stuff that can be done with the ultra. specially xposed modules and other hacks I would buy it.

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5648
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime4272 View Post
Now that I see the Huawei MediaPad X1. being that I love big phones/tablet = phablets i'm wondering if there will be any support so that we can root it and all the good stuff that can be done with the ultra. specially xposed modules and other hacks I would buy it.
You'll have to wait and see. Don't buy it the day it comes out, but wait for a month or something so you can see if there is any dev activity around it.

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 953

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
You'll have to wait and see. Don't buy it the day it comes out, but wait for a month or something so you can see if there is any dev activity around it.

there was around one of their older 7" phablets, so there is hope.
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

ROM:- Carbon
Kernel:- Pimped Kernel

Thankyou to all those that have donated to me over 2014.

SpyderTracks
Old
Thanks Meter 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime4272 View Post
Does look ridiculous doesn't it, I think 7 inch is a good size :sly:

Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6833
Stock .257 Unrooted

Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000, iPhone 3GS, HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Universal, Sony Ericsson P990i, boat load of nokia's for a long time.

I love this site!!! Thanks to all