Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,000 Members 50,668 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

System faster now, and more announcements.

Tip us?

Peter Poelman
Old
Retired Administrator - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Default System faster now, and more announcements.

Hi all,

First of all allow me to personally apologize for the state that this has been in for too long now. Even with the little time I had, I could have done more. I guess have a problem motivating myself if I know I cannot make something perfect.

Secondly, I have the pleasure of announcing a long-needed and overdue hardware upgrade which happened today and which should have made things much faster for everyone. I certainly notice a dramatic speed increase. More and faster processors are a Good Thing (tm).

Thirdly, and probably most importantly: Since I was so frustrated with being so time-constrained that I was not able to deliver perfection, I have taken the liberty to silently hire someone else to take care of the site full-time. Flar (username "Flar") had her first day at work today. I've had the opportunity to work with her on previous occasions, and I can tell you that she is one capable professional young woman. She'll need a little time to get rolling, but she and I will soon be managing the migration the system to yet better hardware, switching from phpBB to vBulletin, creating a new structure, cleaning up the ftp site and migrating the wiki to Mediawiki. She will then take care of daily moderation of the forums and all the other daily and weekly tasks that go with properly maintaining this site.

Fourthly, we will in future have ads. I don't like ads much, but there's simply no way around it if we want to make this thing rock again. We get quite a bit of money in donations. (Thank You! You pulled us through even when we did not deserve it...). But even if donations were to increase significantly after the upcoming improvements, they will still never pay for the combined costs of hardware, colo, bandwidth and Flar's salary. We will (ofcourse) make sure the ads are never of the in-your-face, moving-over-the-content, audio-at-full-volume kind, and we will most certainly not dare to have ads until the rest of the house is much, much, much more in order than it is now.

For now, feel free to fantasize about what XDA-developers could be, since we will now have both the machine-power and woman-power to do something with these ideas.

Peter Poelman
(who is looking forward to spending some more time with y'all soon)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Poelman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZeBoxx
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks for the post, keeping us updated - it is very highly appreciated

I can understand what you mean with finding it hard to get motivated when you know you can't reach the level of perfection that you'd like, so thanks for keeping up the good work anyway
HTC Wizard::Qtek 9100 EN
ROM: 1.1.7.5 (9/22/05)
ExtROM: 1.1.7.105
Radio: 01.01.10
Protocol: 4.0.13.16

meschle
Old
Retired Moderator
Thanks Meter 3
Default Re: System faster now, and more announcements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Poelman
(who is looking forward to spending some more time with y'all soon)
Thanks Peter for the system update - we all look forward to seeing you and your expertise
Regards Mark

Retired from forum

richardlai
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Was wondering why I couldn't log on earlier... This is great now! Thanks Peter!
HTC One, ASUS PadFone Infinity

cedrick
Old
Thanks Meter 0
one word : THANKS
Trinity - HTC P3600
Visit www.smartphony.fr

nsriza
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you very much Peter :lol:

TauTau
Old
Thanks Meter 2
This really *is* fast now, thanks a lot!

rob61280
Old
Thanks Meter 10
much quicker now !

Thanks
N5 & N7(2013) CM11 or Stock Rooted

lozzd
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Its a lot quicker, and I don't mind Google ads if you wanna use them :P I know how painful it is to run a site with no money!

TauTau
Old
Thanks Meter 2
btw, it seems that the database, which had some hickups before, now can't stand the speed of the site. I get frequent phpBB messages about failed DB connections. It only gets annoying when you press the submit button after writing a lot of text