Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,276 Members 38,330 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Newbie wanting to "root" / Mod.

Tip us?

peakcomp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Newbie wanting to "root" / Mod.

Hey all! I am a newbie, but am technically inclined.

Both my bf and I have the HTC Rezound with the latest OEM firmware. We are sick of Sense, the battery life is horrible amongst other complaints.

We would like to move to an aftermarket firmware but I have noticed that most if not all of them have issues. The camera, the camcorder, the MMS, the WiFi...I don't want to drop my OEM firmware for something that doesn't fully work.

We also have the Nexus 7 (2012) Wifi tablets which we LOVE. It's pure KitKat 4.4! If only we could have stock Android on our phones.

Anyhow...I don't even know where to start with our phones and then of course, which software to install that is fully functional?

Thanks for the help ya'll!

K

kcipopnevets
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakcomp View Post
Hey all! I am a newbie, but am technically inclined.

Both my bf and I have the HTC Rezound with the latest OEM firmware. We are sick of Sense, the battery life is horrible amongst other complaints.

We would like to move to an aftermarket firmware but I have noticed that most if not all of them have issues. The camera, the camcorder, the MMS, the WiFi...I don't want to drop my OEM firmware for something that doesn't fully work.

We also have the Nexus 7 (2012) Wifi tablets which we LOVE. It's pure KitKat 4.4! If only we could have stock Android on our phones.

Anyhow...I don't even know where to start with our phones and then of course, which software to install that is fully functional?

Thanks for the help ya'll!

K
I can recommend some ROMs that are both faster than stock and totally stable. So you want to unlock your bootloader and all?
I'MANUTCASEANDALLILISTENTOISMETAL
HTC Rezound, BROKEN
Droid MAXX XT1080M("DEV"), KitKat stock, UNLOCKED(!!!!!!!!!) and rooted
GWAR \m/ (-'__'-) \m/

peakcomp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Whatever it takes, I guess, to get a newer, faster and more battery conservative ROM . This Sense crap sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcipopnevets View Post
I can recommend some ROMs that are both faster than stock and totally stable. So you want to unlock your bootloader and all?

pball52998
Old
Thanks Meter 127
How far are you into the rooting method? Have you done anything to start yet. By the way, welcome to the wonderful Rezound community!!!!

Sent from my Rezound using xda-developers app. CyanogenMod 11. S-off
Main Phone:
Verizon HTC One M8
Insert Coin
Main Wifi Device:
HTC OG Droid Incredible S-OFF: Cyanogenmod 11
Current Tablet
Sadly A iPad First Gen. iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken with GreenPois0n

peakcomp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks!

I don't know where to start. I haven't began anything except researching.

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by pball52998 View Post
How far are you into the rooting method? Have you done anything to start yet. By the way, welcome to the wonderful Rezound community!!!!

Sent from my Rezound using xda-developers app. CyanogenMod 11. S-off

pball52998
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Thanks!

I don't know where to start. I haven't began anything except researching.

K
Okay, first begin with unlocking the bootloader via HTC dev. Here's the website, you need to set up and use a legit email you can get into to. It will send you a unlock token once you get done with the steps. : http://http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
This will erase everything on the phone, but this will allow you to continue, you are on the newest radio's and updates correct?
Main Phone:
Verizon HTC One M8
Insert Coin
Main Wifi Device:
Current Tablet

peakcomp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I am on the latest update. Not sure about radios though. I assume they all come with the update from the carrier/OEM.

Why does unlocking the boot loader delete all on the phone?

Should I back up and remove my SD card before doing this?

K

Quote:
Okay, first begin with unlocking the bootloader via HTC dev. Here's the website, you need to set up and use a legit email you can get into to. It will send you a unlock token once you get done with the steps. : http://http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
This will erase everything on the phone, but this will allow you to continue, you are on the newest radio's and updates correct?

pball52998
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
I am on the latest update. Not sure about radios though. I assume they all come with the update from the carrier/OEM.

Why does unlocking the boot loader delete all on the phone?

Should I back up and remove my SD card before doing this?

K
Yes that means you're on the newest radio's. Not really sure why it deletes everything but it just does, and yes, back everything up, back your contacts up via google :$ back up SD card, shouldn't delete it, or it didn't mine, but just back everything up before beginning. Okay?
Main Phone:
Verizon HTC One M8
Insert Coin
Main Wifi Device:
Current Tablet

peakcomp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Super. Thanks.

Quote:
Yes that means you're on the newest radio's. Not really sure why it deletes everything but it just does, and yes, back everything up, back your contacts up via google :$ back up SD card, shouldn't delete it, or it didn't mine, but just back everything up before beginning. Okay?

pball52998
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Also you need adb and fastboot set up, heres a little tool I used for the windows partition of my mac: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2588979
Then I never really had to use device drivers, so I'm somewhat unsure of that Search up HTC rezound drivers into google and see if you can find something I just use my mac because it doesn't need drivers and it's easy for stuff like that.... windows 7 is the way to go though, or is pretty much the only way to go....
Main Phone:
Verizon HTC One M8
Insert Coin
Main Wifi Device:
Current Tablet