[Nook Simple Touch][FW1.2.1] Kernel with Two Point Touch Mod for Download

OP waynesi

25th May 2013, 01:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

2 posts
Hi all,

Thanks to the huge discount on Nook Simple Touch earlier this month in UK, hopefully the device will regain some popularity and draw more attention from the XDA community. Unfortunately all the new devices come with firmware v1.2.0 while most posts in the forum were for the outdated v1.1.x, including the brilliant multitouch mod from wheilitjohnny. I know there is a way to downgrade to v1.1.x but I still prefer v1.2.1 after I tried v1.1.0. So I decided to port wheilitjohnny's mod to v1.2.1. After one week's hard work as I'm a newbie to the Linux world, I finally built the kernel and saw no more boot loop. All the multitouch test tools from Market correctly reported up to 2 fingers.

Before put the kernel to your device, make sure it's already running 1.2.1 firmware and rooted. You can find the link to the official upgrade file in the forum and you can use Nook Manager to root your device which is also available in the forum.

Then please found the kernel attached as zip file. You need to unzip the file and follow arkusuma's post on how to install it.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post24168019

All credits go to wheilitjohnny. It's all his work.

One lesson I learned for all the developers who may be interested in more mod development is, to make a bootable kernel you MUST use toolchain from "http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm/portal/release1293". Select the IA32 GNU/Linux TAR one (MD5: c6930d14801b4fab6705d72df013e58b). Any other toolchains including Google's own or even another version from codesourcery won't work. The generated kernel built with any other toolchains will only cause boot loop.

[UPDATE] Oh forgot to say, you need to add one more line to your /etc/permissions/required_hardware.xml on your device. You should be able to find the first line already in the file, just add the second line.

<feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen" />
<feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch" />

More info please check http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1563645
Attached Files
File Type: zip uImage.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.73 MB, 311 views)
Last edited by waynesi; 25th May 2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Forgot the mod on required_hardware.xml
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to waynesi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th May 2013, 01:47 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Question
Does this kernel work with NoRefresh (I assume debug2 version for FW 1.2.x)?
27th May 2013, 05:22 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koltshin

Does this kernel work with NoRefresh (I assume debug2 version for FW 1.2.x)?

Yes. I have NoRefresh_Debug2 and Fast Mode mod running together with this kernel. No problem so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to waynesi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th June 2013, 02:05 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

246 posts
More
Thx. Does this kernel works for both Nook Simple Touch and the Glow light model?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app
7th June 2013, 11:38 PM   |  #5  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 18

24 posts
[QUOTE=waynesi;41819154]Hi all,

One lesson I learned for all the developers who may be interested in more mod development is, to make a bootable kernel you MUST use toolchain from "http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm/portal/release1293". Select the IA32 GNU/Linux TAR one (MD5: c6930d14801b4fab6705d72df013e58b). Any other toolchains including Google's own or even another version from codesourcery won't work. The generated kernel built with any other toolchains will only cause boot loop.

I've had good success with the toolchain on Ubuntu; just install the gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi packages, and add the Makefile and head.S changes that were in the fastmode2 patch; I've not tried building this touch mod, but it has let me build my own kernels with usb host and with TLS support.
14th June 2013, 05:18 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4

246 posts
More
Thumbs up
I can confirm that this kernel works on a NST with Glowlight on FW. 1.2.1 Thanks for the hard work.
30th June 2013, 11:00 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Can I use this kernel for 2 fingers zoom in? I tried it with aldiko, but do not work with pdf.
Last edited by garvanat; 30th June 2013 at 11:10 PM.
9th July 2013, 08:28 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

10 posts
Plug
Quote:

You need to unzip the file and follow arkusuma's post on how to install it.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9#post24168019

Could somebody please help me installing this without adb over wifi? Because i have internet only over ethernet. I was thinking of CWM.
Thanks
9th July 2013, 09:44 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Boston
Thanks Meter: 810

1,995 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius0

... without adb over wifi?

Well, how about ADB over USB?
10th July 2013, 12:42 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST

Well, how about ADB over USB?

Can you please help me exactly how to do it? I have tried it once for some other reason and it didn't work... And after that I searched for it here and found a post which said that adb works only over wi-fi.
And I am quite new with android so please explain the process well.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread