Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,543 Members 38,031 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Powering a TF-101 with a dead battery

Tip us?

stormwyrm
Old
(Last edited by stormwyrm; 7th March 2014 at 12:03 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Unhappy [Q] Powering a TF-101 with a dead battery

I did something drastic today. I ripped apart the old TF-101 keyboard (already broken prior) to get at the battery pack inside, opened my son's Transformer, and swapped out the dead battery inside with the one from the keyboard, only to find out that... the other pack is just as dead as the one already inside the Transformer. I get the same red battery icon when I try to turn on the Transformer I just reassembled using the other battery. Now, I could in theory remove the battery from the second Transformer I have in order to do this, but opening up one of these things and extracting the battery is a non-trivial task to say the least, and I don't relish doing it again. A new battery is rather expensive, at around $40 + delivery, and to be frank I'd rather just spend that $40 as part of the cost of a new tablet. However, it turns out that there are some files inside that thing that I want to be able to recover (mostly photos and videos), so I'd ask what options I have for attempting to power up that thing one last time to extract the data from it. One way would be to use the working Transformer's battery, but that is obviously quite out of the question. I could put the thing on a lab bench somewhere (just assume that I have the facilities to be able to do this) and feed it with 7.4 Vdc along the same 8-pin header that the battery uses, to fool the tablet into thinking it had a working battery, allowing it to boot. What do the wires do, and what voltage levels should they have in order to make the tablet think it has a good battery?

*Detection*
Old
Thanks Meter 527
There is a USB mod on the forums here somewhere to feed 1 USB port on your machine 12v instead of 5v using a 12v molex feed from the PSU, which allows charging from a USB port, which would also allow data access from the same port

I`ll post a link if I find it

EDIT - Could be here somewhere
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1087321
Droid: TF101
HW: B4O
ROM: KatKiss KitKat

KatKiss Dev / Stable
Kat Kernel
Kat App
Gapps
-----
EasyFlasher Root / Recovery