Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,979 Members 47,459 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need OTA Update

Tip us?

mch277
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Need OTA Update

Basically, I need the 4.4.2 OTA.

I unlocked the bootloader. I need root to get S-off. Except I'm currently on S-on and the only way to install a recovery and get root is to have S-off (correct me if I'm wrong). Any workaround to this that isn't super complicated?

I've checked USB ports, and I can't seem to get my device to be recognized. "fastboot devices" shows up nothing. Currently unlocked, and S-on.

Forgot that unlocking bootloader again would wipe my phone, forgot to make backup, so everything's deleted ;(. Not possible to get s-off anymore?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rogue Leader
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mch277 View Post
Basically, I need the 4.4.2 OTA.

I unlocked the bootloader. I need root to get S-off. Except I'm currently on S-on and the only way to install a recovery and get root is to have S-off (correct me if I'm wrong). Any workaround to this that isn't super complicated?

I've checked USB ports, and I can't seem to get my device to be recognized. "fastboot devices" shows up nothing. Currently unlocked, and S-on.

Forgot that unlocking bootloader again would wipe my phone, forgot to make backup, so everything's deleted ;(. Not possible to get s-off anymore?

Any help would be appreciated.
You just need an unlocked bootloader to install a recovery, when you are in fastboot (if you turn the phone on and do adb reboot fastboot, or hold down vol down and power and select fastboot when the HBOOT menu comes up) you can do the command line fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (recovery.img being your recovery you want to load) you can then start the phone up, copy superuser.zip on there somewhere and install with your custom recovery.

All that said, you don't need to do any of that to do 4.4.2 OTA, and in fact it wont install if you have a custom recovery. Are you having a problem that it wont download/install. If your phone is stock other than an unlocked bootloader it will install (trust me i just did it). If you have stock recovery just download the 4.4.2 OTA file from the other thread, then save it to the phone somewhere, the go to recovery in HBOOT, wait 1 second and then hold up vol and power for 5 seconds (may have to do this more than once). Menu comes up, do wipe cache, and then do install from device storage.

After thats done you can follow my above instructions and root it
HTC One AT&T (rooted Stock KitKat)
Asus Transformer TF300T (rooted stock JB)

mch277
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Sorry if I didn't state it more clearly, but my issue is I can't install a recovery. I can boot into bootloader and fastboot but when I type in "fastboot" devices on my PC nothing comes up.

Rogue Leader
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Quote:
Sorry if I didn't state it more clearly, but my issue is I can't install a recovery. I can boot into bootloader and fastboot but when I type in "fastboot" devices on my PC nothing comes up.
Have you installed HTC Sync? When you boot into the bootloader then fastboot and then plug in your usb cable does it say "fastboot usb" on screen?

mch277
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Have you installed HTC Sync? When you boot into the bootloader then fastboot and then plug in your usb cable does it say "fastboot usb" on screen?
I uninstalled HTC sync so as to not have it interfere with any s-off/etc. programs. I still have HTC drivers installed. Re-install both HTC sync and drivers?

Rogue Leader
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Quote:
I uninstalled HTC sync so as to not have it interfere with any s-off/etc. programs. I still have HTC drivers installed. Re-install both HTC sync and drivers?
HTC Sync won't interfere with anything. You need that and the drivers installed for it to work, I would start there and see what happens.

mch277
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I'll re-install it again.

Is there anything I can do to just completely get back to stock everything? Willing to manually update it but I'd like to be able to just go to settings and just update via OTA from there.

Rogue Leader
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Quote:
I'll re-install it again.

Is there anything I can do to just completely get back to stock everything? Willing to manually update it but I'd like to be able to just go to settings and just update via OTA from there.
As long as you have an active AT&T SIM card in there it will update even with an unlocked bootloader, even if its rooted. As long as you didn't mod anything. I just did the update like this, it worked fine.

mch277
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I've rooted and unlocked the bootloader before but I've unrooted since then. Is there still a chance I just haven't gotten the update pushed to my device yet?

clsA
Old
Thanks Meter 851

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I've rooted and unlocked the bootloader before but I've unrooted since then. Is there still a chance I just haven't gotten the update pushed to my device yet?
here's the OTAPkg.zip with instructions
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2659374
HTC One 32 GB AT&T