Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,105 Members 52,305 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Please help, deleted wall paper picker and program monitor from Galaxy Grand

Tip us?
 
mr_b_alex
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 50
Join Date: Feb 2014
Phone Please help, deleted wall paper picker and program monitor from Galaxy Grand

Hello to members here.

Would be really grateful for any help with info' regarding my Galaxy Grand Dous GT-19082 running on 4.1.2. I like the phone a lot, and don't like the fact I accidentally deleted the wall paper picker and also the program monitor from the system with root delete app. So I can not use live wall paper now, or the program monitor

As said before, phone rooted, think using/has CWM. Apart from that it's standard.I didn't back up my phone with Titanium back up etc unfortunately. I have tried to see which ROM I am using, but can't find out, even under settings/about device. It must be a stock ROM I guess, as I only rooted it, didn't change ROM.

I have spent/wasted a day and a half so far trying to find info' on the web looking how I can re install these to the phone. Potentially frustrating. I have looked for the apk files but could not locate.

I am fairly basic with my knowledge on this techie stuff, so if anyone can explain as simply as possible and step by step. I would be most thankful. If I could pay somebody to do it, then I would probably be keen, just want my phone as it was again...

Thanks again, and respect in advance for any helps/info' and advise.

Sincere regards, Alex
 
naufalhadyan
Old
#2  
naufalhadyan's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 236
Posts: 436
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bandung, Indonesia
Recklessly deleting a few, seemingly unimportant system files could have as destructive consequence as having to reflash your whole firmware via Odin. That means you have to backup all your apps and datas. What firmware version are you on currently? Maybe some guys here can help extracting the files from the firmware package you mentioned, or else you might have to download the whole firmware (mind you, it's huge) and flash it via Odin.
An architecture student and likes anything tech.

Nokia N-Gage QD (2006) --> Nokia 2730 Classic (2010) --> Ivio DE88 (2011) --> Sony Xperia Go ST27i (2012) --> Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos i9082 (2013) --> (used) Sony Xperia V LT25i

Rocking Sony Xperia V with latest CM11 nightly.
Secondary device: white iPad 2 64GB, with jailbroken iOS7
 
mr_b_alex
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 50
Join Date: Feb 2014
Hey Naufalhadyan, Thanks for the reply. Yes, was reckless and kind'a stupid deleting the files.
My firmware is I believe 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
 
iceyhotguy
Old
(Last edited by iceyhotguy; 16th February 2014 at 12:33 AM.)
#4  
iceyhotguy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 715
Posts: 712
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_b_alex View Post
Hello to members here.

Would be really grateful for any help with info' regarding my Galaxy Grand Dous GT-19082 running on 4.1.2. I like the phone a lot, and don't like the fact I accidentally deleted the wall paper picker and also the program monitor from the system with root delete app. So I can not use live wall paper now, or the program monitor

As said before, phone rooted, think using/has CWM. Apart from that it's standard.I didn't back up my phone with Titanium back up etc unfortunately. I have tried to see which ROM I am using, but can't find out, even under settings/about device. It must be a stock ROM I guess, as I only rooted it, didn't change ROM.

I have spent/wasted a day and a half so far trying to find info' on the web looking how I can re install these to the phone. Potentially frustrating. I have looked for the apk files but could not locate.

I am fairly basic with my knowledge on this techie stuff, so if anyone can explain as simply as possible and step by step. I would be most thankful. If I could pay somebody to do it, then I would probably be keen, just want my phone as it was again...

Thanks again, and respect in advance for any helps/info' and advise.

Sincere regards, Alex
1. Boot into recovery, Volume UP + Home + Power
2. Select Install zip and choose this zip file - apps-update.zip
3. Let it install
4. Go back, select Wipe Cache
5. Go to advanced, select Wipe Dalvik-cache

Alternatively, extract the zip, mount your /system and copy the apks included and set their permissions to rw-r--r--

I couldn't find an exact apk that says Program Provider, so I'm included both possible ones.
Apks included:
- ApplicationsProvider
- SecLiveWallpapersPicker
- SecWallpaperChooser
- TaskProvider

All above apps are extracted from 4.1.2 XXAMF7 firmware directly.

The zip file will copy and replace the above system apps. Clearing cache and dalvik-cache will let your phone upgrade apps but no data will be lost, without it you might get Force Closes.
NOTE: Please make sure you back up your data before-hand, just in case
The Following User Says Thank You to iceyhotguy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mr_b_alex
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 50
Join Date: Feb 2014
Hi Iceyhotguy,

Much thanks to you for the zip link and what seems like straight forward instructions.

I have spent a while trying to add the zip. When I go into recovery mode, it says it can not mound sd card. I have even payed for the premium version of CWM now, thinking I could add the zip this way, which I think I can, but again in recovery mode, it can not mount the sd card, which is where the file is download to. (I think)
Have downloaded the file straight to the phone aswell, but no luck yet.

I guess I have to install manually some how, you said ''Alternatively, extract the zip, mount your /system and copy the apks included and set their permissions to rw-r--r--'' . If you could be so kind to talk me through in baby steps (as I don't really understand this way) how I can do it this way, seeing the recovery mode way is not working for some reason.

Close,but not quite there yet.

Really hoping to fix my mistakes of accidentally deleting file soon, guess it's a good lesson, and I am learning more about this kind of thing, so not all bad.

Hope to hear back from you, and/or other members soon.

Thankyou,

Alex
 
mr_b_alex
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 50
Join Date: Feb 2014
Spent ages trying to fix my phone, and research online how I ''copy the apks included and set their permissions to rw-r--r--'' can't do it, getting frustrating..
Also I read online that using CWM as a recovery is not needed on a stock ROM and the error message in recovery 'can't not mount sd card'' can happen with stock rom and CWM....
Would really appreciate some help to fix this. Thanks
 
mr_b_alex
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 50
Join Date: Feb 2014
Managed to try change permission with a root explorer program, though it says some files do not allow permission change, so seems I can not so this either
 
iceyhotguy
Old
#8  
iceyhotguy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 715
Posts: 712
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_b_alex View Post
Spent ages trying to fix my phone, and research online how I ''copy the apks included and set their permissions to rw-r--r--'' can't do it, getting frustrating..
Also I read online that using CWM as a recovery is not needed on a stock ROM and the error message in recovery 'can't not mount sd card'' can happen with stock rom and CWM....
Would really appreciate some help to fix this. Thanks
Reflash the CWM for 4.1.2 with Odin from here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...36&postcount=1
That'll fix the sdcard issue. If it doesn't try putting the zip file in internal memory.

I explained how to copy bootanimation file here in steps and paste it back in /system/media with setting permissions : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...66&postcount=2
The same principle will apply when copying apks from the above zip file, take all 4 apks, and paste them in /system/app folder then follow my post above to set permission.
The Following User Says Thank You to iceyhotguy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mr_b_alex
Old
#9  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 50
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyhotguy View Post
Reflash the CWM for 4.1.2 with Odin from here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...36&postcount=1
That'll fix the sdcard issue. If it doesn't try putting the zip file in internal memory.

I explained how to copy bootanimation file here in steps and paste it back in /system/media with setting permissions : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...66&postcount=2
The same principle will apply when copying apks from the above zip file, take all 4 apks, and paste them in /system/app folder then follow my post above to set permission.
Thanks for the info' s. Have tried, done what was well explained, but still no luck..

Think I try to reflash the stock rom via odin, if you have any links /info' on this, that would be great, thanks
 
SagarRox
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 13
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyhotguy View Post
1. Boot into recovery, Volume UP + Home + Power
2. Select Install zip and choose this zip file - Attachment 2581684
3. Let it install
4. Go back, select Wipe Cache
5. Go to advanced, select Wipe Dalvik-cache

Alternatively, extract the zip, mount your /system and copy the apks included and set their permissions to rw-r--r--

I couldn't find an exact apk that says Program Provider, so I'm included both possible ones.
Apks included:
- ApplicationsProvider
- SecLiveWallpapersPicker
- SecWallpaperChooser
- TaskProvider

All above apps are extracted from 4.1.2 XXAMF7 firmware directly.

The zip file will copy and replace the above system apps. Clearing cache and dalvik-cache will let your phone upgrade apps but no data will be lost, without it you might get Force Closes.
NOTE: Please make sure you back up your data before-hand, just in case
Thanks a ton man, this worked for me and now I re-installed Live Wallpaper APK. Could not install via any root perm enabled file manager. Sumit pointed me here, thanks to him too.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes