Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,250 Members 40,932 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlocking bootloader disadvantage?

Tip us?
 
AndroidInsanity
Old
#1  
AndroidInsanity's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 247
Posts: 1,150
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huddersfield

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Unlocking bootloader disadvantage?

I have searched and asked this many times. But no one seems to have a answer for me. So let's see if someone on the Q & A thread will...


I have a Z1 that can be boot loader unlocked. However I don't know whether its worth it.

The biggest thing to put me off was loss of x reality but there is a solution now.

The biggest thing that is putting me off is camera performance. I heard it removes Sony software for the camera called BIONZ. I want to know if anyone can tell the difference in camera quality with their unlocked boot loader as opposed to a locked boot loader.

So any answers appreciated!

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app


Top reliable phones I have had: HTC One. LG G2, Nexus 4, Note 2, Nokia 5800, Motorola RAZR V3X, Motorola RAZR i, Nexus 5 Had many more, but these devices were the best IMO.

Current Phone: HTC One M8

Press THANKS if i helped you, it's nice knowing when you have helped somebody out
 
cippi21
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 81
Posts: 372
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: mullingar
Well there is a thread somewhere around here called another Sony secret and they are talking about the difference between pictures with an unlocked bl and pictures with a locked bl...the op said that there is a lot more noise in the pictures with an unlocked bl...look for that thread and you will find more info

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
 
benziii
Old
#3  
benziii's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 45
Posts: 163
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LillestrÝm
Well I have mentioned this earlier.

This has had no negative effect on mine. I saw a camera improvement overall in .290, but other than that I have not been very satisfied with 4.3.
.257 had way less issues (talking about firmware as a whole here). Fingers crossed for kitkat

So what I'm saying is, weird that I can percieve better results going from locked .257 - to unlocked .290.

I've read around that mentioned thread, and to me there was heavy speculation going on in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to benziii For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
AndroidInsanity
Old
#4  
AndroidInsanity's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 247
Posts: 1,150
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huddersfield

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cippi21 View Post
Well there is a thread somewhere around here called another Sony secret and they are talking about the difference between pictures with an unlocked bl and pictures with a locked bl...the op said that there is a lot more noise in the pictures with an unlocked bl...look for that thread and you will find more info

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
That thread was rated 1 star last time I checked so was not sure if it was true, plus, they were on bout low light mostly. I want to know about good light


I think I might just go ahead and do it Just hope I don't regret it as I take pictures a lot.


Top reliable phones I have had: HTC One. LG G2, Nexus 4, Note 2, Nokia 5800, Motorola RAZR V3X, Motorola RAZR i, Nexus 5 Had many more, but these devices were the best IMO.

Current Phone: HTC One M8

Press THANKS if i helped you, it's nice knowing when you have helped somebody out
 
cippi21
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 81
Posts: 372
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: mullingar
Quote:
Originally Posted by technostein View Post
That thread was rated 1 star last time I checked so was not sure if it was true, plus, they were on bout low light mostly. I want to know about good light


I think I might just go ahead and do it Just hope I don't regret it as I take pictures a lot.
I'm sure in good light you won't notice the difference so just go for it... Don't forget to backup all the important stuff like TA etc...

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to cippi21 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
funky0308
Old
#6  
funky0308's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 4949
Posts: 6,145
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Osijek

 
DONATE TO ME
@technostein
Unlock bootloader and try, if you don't like it just restore your TA and you are back again...

Just be sure you are on 4.3 because of camera...

I was always unlocking bootloader but I bought Z1 (in purpose) with bootloader status - NO.

I'm completely satisfied with Sony ROMs ( back from 4.1.2) and can't find any reason to use custom kernel...

Just don't need that...

OC? Really don't need more cpu or gpu speed.
All other features are already in stock kernel...

Maybe, only, if Sony decide not to add KNOCKON feature- I would miss custom kernel - but who cares for just one thing...

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to funky0308 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
AndroidInsanity
Old
#7  
AndroidInsanity's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 247
Posts: 1,150
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Huddersfield

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky0308 View Post
@technostein
Unlock bootloader and try, if you don't like it just restore your TA and you are back again...

Just be sure you are on 4.3 because of camera...

I was always unlocking bootloader but I bought Z1 (in purpose) with bootloader status - NO.

I'm completely satisfied with Sony ROMs ( back from 4.1.2) and can't find any reason to use custom kernel...

Just don't need that...

OC? Really don't need more cpu or gpu speed.
All other features are already in stock kernel...

Maybe, only, if Sony decide not to add KNOCKON feature- I would miss custom kernel - but who cares for just one thing...

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Reason why I am tempted it because I run ihackers ROM 3.0 and I liked the changelogs of ihackers kernel. such as noise reduction in camera and loads of tweaks and build prop tweaks.


Top reliable phones I have had: HTC One. LG G2, Nexus 4, Note 2, Nokia 5800, Motorola RAZR V3X, Motorola RAZR i, Nexus 5 Had many more, but these devices were the best IMO.

Current Phone: HTC One M8

Press THANKS if i helped you, it's nice knowing when you have helped somebody out
 
kart_man_21
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 69
Join Date: Dec 2005
Be aware that by unlocking formally sony's guarantee will be lost, as that is stated in their terms. I don't know if relocking will fix the guarantee issue of there is a need later on.

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
eclyptos
Old
#9  
eclyptos's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 612
Posts: 2,990
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Planet Earth
I saw somewhere on XDA a thread about differences quality pictures between Locked and Unlocked Bootloader and the pictures on Unlocked Bootloader had much more less quality and more noise than the one with the Locked Bootloader. I can't guarantee the accuracy of that information but if it is true then Unlocking Bootlader is very bad for the quality pictures. I am sure it can be fixed because of software related but how and when I don't know. I still keep my Bootloader Locked even if I am tempt to unlock it to install CM11.
IF I HELPED DO NOT SAY THANKS, CLICK IT.
My Evolution: Sony Xperia Z1 - UB + 4.3 Rooted + Deodexed, HTC HD2, HTC Diamond 2, HTC HD Blackstone, Nokia 7070 Prism, Qtek 9100, Nokia 3100, Motorola T720i, Nokia 3310, Sony Ericson PF 768 (Blue)

How Get Root on Sony Xperia Z1 with Locked Bootloader and the Latest Android 4.4

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes