Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 49,201 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL] [2.6.35] 2157MHz CPU/320MHz GPU Overclocked Touchpad CM Kernel

Tip us?

shumash
Old
(Last edited by shumash; 1st October 2013 at 03:33 PM.) Reason: Add 10.2 nightly kernel
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1667

DONATE TO ME
Default [KERNEL] [2.6.35] 2157MHz CPU/320MHz GPU Overclocked Touchpad CM Kernel

Here's a custom kernel for you all to try out. It should work with any CM10.1 (some nightlies, but not all), CM10 or CM9 ROM that loads from moboot with uImage.CyanogenMod (if you don't understand what this means, don't use it). Pick your specific ROM. Not tested with all ROM's, so YMMV.

Here's a few facts:
  • Compiled with Linaro 4.7 toolchain
  • Complete with jcsullins patches for low power demand, wifi sleep, etc.
  • Complete with _Dorregaray's_ camera hooks
  • Improved entropy depletion routines speed file reads
  • Optimized AES and SHA1 encryption routines speed boot up and file decryption
  • Overclockable to 2157MHz if your ROM allows frequency settings
  • Level 2 frequency OC to 1914MHz
  • Stepped 2D & 3D GPU up to 320Mhz
  • Additional governors and schedulers

Use Kernel Tuner for tuneable parameters in the kernel

READ HERE FOR INFORMATION ABOUT GOVERNORS AND SCHEDULERS: Guide Link

Instructions: Download and flash the ROM version you currently have installed. No system/full wipes or cache clearing required.
CM9:
http://goo.im/devs/shumash/tenderloi...08_23_2013.zip
CM10:
http://goo.im/devs/shumash/tenderloi...08_30_2013.zip
CM10.1:
http://goo.im/devs/shumash/tenderloi...08_22_2013.zip
http://goo.im/devs/shumash/tenderloi...d_Rotation.zip
[CM10.1_xxxxNightly (should work with any nightly on or after each nightly date (_xxxxNightly part of the filename). It may work with other nightlies):
http://goo.im/devs/shumash/tenderloin/kernel/
[CM10.2_093013Nightly] :
http://goo.im/devs/shumash/tenderloi...09_30_2013.zip

CHANGELOG
Code:
Select Code
-> 30SEP13
  - CM10.2 nightly build
-> 08SEP13
  - CM10.1 build without Dorregaray MPU3050 updated driver (fixes rotation issue)
-> 22AUG13
  - Properly enable gpu overclocking (milaq)
  - Incorporate updated gyroscope userspace drivers (dorregaray)
-> 02AUG13
  - remove abyssplug governor
  - enable sysfs for GPU settings
  - change to Linaro 4.7 toolchain
-> 26JULY13
  - DERP:  Fixed frandom number generator module not implemented in defconfig. 
-> 25JULY13
  - tune savagedzen governor
  - add frandom number generator module
  - Merge milaq: distinct localversion (nightlies only)
-> 24JULY13
  - Add savagedzen governor (a modified smartassv2)
  - Merge milaq: link and sync cpu governors (excluding policy refactor)
-> 15JULY13
  - Incorporate ramdisk changes in 10.1 kernels
  - Change scaled min power shutdown from 3% to 5%
  - Allow L2 boost up to 1914MHz
  - Remove hotplug governor
-> 27JUNE13
  - Update deadline scheduler for improved android performance (milaq)
  - Disable GENTLE_FAIR_SLEEPERS (milaq)
  - rtc: alarm: Update hrtimer if alarm at the head of the queue is reprogrammed
  - Add hotplug governor
-> 15JUNE13
  - Change to arm-eabi-4.3.3 toolchain
  - Cleanup frequency tables
  - Add sio and vr schedulers
  - Ramp processors up to 1512MHz at startup to decrease boot time
-> 02JUNE13
  - Add lagfree governor
-> 11MAY13:
  - Improve read speed of deadline scheduler
  - Add badass governor
 -> 06MAY13:
  - Incorporate version specific ramdisk for CM9, CM10, & CM10.1
-> 04MAY13:
  - Allow L2 overclocking up to 1890MHz
-> 22APR13:
   - Stepped overclocking of GPU to 320MHz
-> 20MAR13:  Initial upload
The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to shumash For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chicle_11
Old
Thanks Meter 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by shumash View Post
Here's a custom kernel for you all to try out. It should work with any ROM that loads from moboot with uImage.CyanogenMod (if you don't understand what this means, don't use it. You can, however, modify the update_script in the zip file to change the name to whatever you want.).

Here's a few facts:

Instructions: Download and flash. No system/full wipes or cache clearing required.

http://goo.im/devs/shumash/tenderloi...nel-032013.zip
Just installed it. Running SGA's 03/08 cm10 unofficial. Everything running well.

Gembino
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Should you note that is this for CM10 or CM9? Does it work on both? I would be very surprised if you say yes!

Does it have the GPU O/C?
Samsung Galaxy S - GT-i9000
ROM: CyanAOSPROM [KK 4.4.2 & JVT Modem]
Kernel: Default CyanAOSP kernel (CM11 Based)

shumash
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1667

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gembino View Post
Should you note that is this for CM10 or CM9? Does it work on both? I would be very surprised if you say yes!

1. Don't know, but it's same kernel as CM9
  2. No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shumash For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iamsamsamiam
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shumash View Post
Here's a custom kernel for you all to try out. It should work with any ROM that loads from moboot with uImage.CyanogenMod (if you don't understand what this means, don't use it. You can, however, modify the updater_script in the zip file to change the name to whatever you want, but it may not work).

Here's a few facts:

Instructions: Download and flash. No system/full wipes or cache clearing required.

http://goo.im/devs/shumash/tenderloi...nel-032013.zip
I flashed it a couple hours ago over SGA's latest JB ROM. And I can't get the clock to steady step over ~1.89GHz on any governor. And the performance at 1.89GHz is worse than 1.78 as per my Antutu scores. I tried using the built in CM CPU settings, SetCPU and System Tuner and the situation is about the same.

There are times when it looks like I got the CPU to step up to 2.1GHz but when it's actually stuck at 1.188GHz.

So the setting are there but they're unusable. Any suggestions?
Xperia ZL 4.4.2 Ultimate BlackXZL v2 | Xperia ZL 4.2 | HP TouchPad CM11 | K-R42 4.4.2 | MiniX Neo X5 4.4.2 | Samsung Galaxy S Captivate CM10.1

bchampy
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gembino View Post

FWIW, I'm running the latest CM9 nightly and after I flash this kernel my Touchpad gets stuck on a black screen after the second boot splash image. The bootanimation would never start. I would have to hard reboot into moboot then flash a different kernel to get the TP to boot.

Remolten
Old
Thanks Meter 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsamsamiam View Post
I flashed it a couple hours ago over SGA's latest JB ROM. And I can't get the clock to steady step over ~1.89GHz on any governor. And the performance at 1.89GHz is worse than 1.78 as per my Antutu scores. I tried using the built in CM CPU settings, SetCPU and System Tuner and the situation is about the same.

There are times when it looks like I got the CPU to step up to 2.1GHz but when it's actually stuck at 1.188GHz.

So the setting are there but they're unusable. Any suggestions?
1. Have you tried setting to the performance governor? I had the same problem when I set to 2.157 GHz it didn't actually go above 1.836 GHz.

2. Also try rebooting and then try to set it again. Try using No Frills CPU Control.

3. Overclocking above 1.782 GHz doesn't seem to present any HUGE benefits right now. It will drastically lower your battery life.

4. Benchmarks don't really equate to real life performance.

iamsamsamiam
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remolten View Post
1. Have you tried setting to the performance governor? I had the same problem when I set to 2.157 GHz it didn't actually go above 1.836 GHz.

2. Also try rebooting and then try to set it again. Try using No Frills CPU Control.

3. Overclocking above 1.782 GHz doesn't seem to present any HUGE benefits right now. It will drastically lower your battery life.

4. Benchmarks don't really equate to real life performance.
1. I've tried every CPU speed above 1.782GHz in performance. And tried multiple of different speeds on interactive and ondemand. If I set it to anything over 1.782GHz it would get stuck 1.188GHz. Basically, CPU stepping is broken above 1.782GHz.

2. I've rebooted between all runs with different CPU apps. I don't know about No Frill CPU Control, but how would it be any different from the apps I've already used or the built in CM CPU control settings. I will try it out in a bit but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't really change anything.

3. Attempting to overclock over 1.782GHz seems to make the device slower in general.

4. Sure, benchmarks don't equal real world performance, but we're talking about less than half the score. Also, the entire device was just less responsive in general.
Xperia ZL 4.4.2 Ultimate BlackXZL v2 | Xperia ZL 4.2 | HP TouchPad CM11 | K-R42 4.4.2 | MiniX Neo X5 4.4.2 | Samsung Galaxy S Captivate CM10.1

chicle_11
Old
Thanks Meter 217
I set mine to 1.512 (which is the tp's true capacity), and 384, to deal with sod. I use the unofficial cm10, 03/08.Works well, so far.....

iamsamsamiam
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicle_11 View Post
I set mine to 1.512 (which is the tp's true capacity), and 384, to deal with sod. I use the unofficial cm10, 03/08.Works well, so far.....
1.5GHz is the TouchPad's true 'factory maximum CPU clock speed'. Who knows what its "true capacity" is. Many devices with very good SoCs have an overclock threshold of about 30-50% and it may get even higher and more stable with proper voltage controls. Right now we only have about a 20% overclock at 1.78GHz so the device should be able to handle a little more stress than we're giving it.