Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,865 Members 44,611 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV] Camera driver for 3.x kernel with ION support

Tip us?
 
_Dorregaray_
Old
(Last edited by _Dorregaray_; 28th January 2014 at 10:48 PM.)
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1058
Posts: 160
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Katowice

 
DONATE TO ME
Default [DEV] Camera driver for 3.x kernel with ION support

I'm creating this thread to let you know about the progress of getting the camera to work on 3.x kernel.
I'm using 3.4 kernel but the changes should be easily applicable for 3.0 kernel as well.

The goal is to have a functional camera driver using ION memory allocator. Unfortunately the Qualcomm's proprietary libs we have for Touchpad relies on now deprecated PMEM allocator.

What is working:
- preview,
- taking pictures,

What is not working:
- panorama,
- video recording,
- skype.

Sources:
https://github.com/Dorregaray/androi...ree/kitkat-cam
https://github.com/Dorregaray/camerahal/tree/cm-11-ion
The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to _Dorregaray_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
_Dorregaray_
Old
#2  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1058
Posts: 160
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Katowice

 
DONATE TO ME
reserved
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to _Dorregaray_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
nikos5800
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 84
Posts: 343
Join Date: Nov 2010
dorregaray you are the man!!
many thanks for the amazing work
 
puhleez
Old
#4  
puhleez's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 47
Posts: 160
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Middle TN

 
DONATE TO ME
As a Rezound owner, I follow the xda community for it and they came up with a hybrid situation where they were still able to use the pmem blobs/drivers for the camera while running under an ion based 3.0 kernel. Worked really well. Something to consider for the short term?

Sent from my TouchPad using xda app-developers app
HTC Rezound - S-Off - Rooted - HBOOT: 2.28 - RADIO: 2.23.10.0123r, 2.23.10.0124r
 
_Dorregaray_
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1058
Posts: 160
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Katowice

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by puhleez View Post
As a Rezound owner, I follow the xda community for it and they came up with a hybrid situation where they were still able to use the pmem blobs/drivers for the camera while running under an ion based 3.0 kernel. Worked really well. Something to consider for the short term?

Sent from my TouchPad using xda app-developers app
I have such configuration right now, but after I'll fix some issues I have I want to get rid of pmem and get it working fully using ION if possible. That will require replacing some proprietary Qualcomm libs with the ones supporting ION.
 
nevertells2
Old
#6  
nevertells2's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 576
Posts: 1,109
Join Date: Dec 2011
Just want to be clear. If you get this working, it should work on any 3.xx kernel including J.C. Sullins CM10.1 experimental 3KERN build?
 
_Dorregaray_
Old
(Last edited by _Dorregaray_; 16th January 2014 at 07:46 AM.)
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1058
Posts: 160
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Katowice

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertells2 View Post
Just want to be clear. If you get this working, it should work on any 3.xx kernel including J.C. Sullins CM10.1 experimental 3KERN build?
If I will get it working it shouldn't be hard to apply the changes to the 3.0 jcsullins kernel.
In fact the reason I'm working on 3.4 kernel is that the flintman has released a kitkat no data/media build with this kernel.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _Dorregaray_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
nevertells2
Old
#8  
nevertells2's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 576
Posts: 1,109
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Dorregaray_ View Post
If I will get it working it shouldn't be hard to apply the changes to the 3.0 jcsullins kernel.
In fact the reason I'm working on 3.4 kernel is that the flintman has released a kitkat no data/media build with this kernel.
That's interesting. I thought I read that he was switching over to data/media. Where did you see that he is not doing data/media?

I found this that he posted Jan.7th:

"I have moved the development to a new forum as i have changed over to data/media and don't want confusion on what is what. Posted a new update remember requireds data/media now."
The Following User Says Thank You to nevertells2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
flintman
Old
#9  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1846
Posts: 577
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MASS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertells2 View Post
That's interesting. I thought I read that he was switching over to data/media. Where did you see that he is not doing data/media?

I found this that he posted Jan.7th:

"I have moved the development to a new forum as i have changed over to data/media and don't want confusion on what is what. Posted a new update remember requireds data/media now."
That is true in order to fix the Play store issue i was having.
The Following User Says Thank You to flintman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
_Dorregaray_
Old
#10  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1058
Posts: 160
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Katowice

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertells2 View Post
That's interesting. I thought I read that he was switching over to data/media. Where did you see that he is not doing data/media?

I found this that he posted Jan.7th:

"I have moved the development to a new forum as i have changed over to data/media and don't want confusion on what is what. Posted a new update remember requireds data/media now."
Yes, but I'm running his old build and just replacing the kernel and camera driver with the ones I have built. I just don't want to switch to data/media images to be able to easily switch back to the CM9 or CM10 builds not losing anything

The Following User Says Thank You to _Dorregaray_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes