Backup+ Lets You Backup Your App Data on Android Lollipop

Even though Android 5.0 Lollipop hasn’t yet seen its official release, quite … more

TechTalk Compiles All the Android News You Need in One App

If you’re as obsessed with mobile devices as the vast majority of our forum … more

Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Edition ROMs vs AOSP?

OP Cero92

13th March 2014, 09:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Neive
Thanks Meter: 102

626 posts
Donate to Me
Hello, on XDA there are lots of custom ROMs, some are based on HTC One GE system, some on AOSP. I though that it's the same, but i see kernels are not compatible so i'd like to ask what are the differences. Thanks
13th March 2014, 12:11 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 690

722 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cero92

Hello, on XDA there are lots of custom ROMs, some are based on HTC One GE system, some on AOSP. I though that it's the same, but i see kernels are not compatible so i'd like to ask what are the differences. Thanks

This AOSP = Cyanogenmod. GEL = Include Beats audio, STOCK ROM FROM GOOGLE.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Last edited by MixaDJ; 13th March 2014 at 12:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MixaDJ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2014, 12:49 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Neive

626 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixaDJ

This AOSP = Cyanogenmod. GEL = Include Beats audio, STOCK ROM FROM GOOGLE.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm asking because I noticed a huge battery drain with CyanogenMod, that I don't have on Sense ROMs. It's probably caused by kernel, right? Any advice?

Thanks for the informations, so GE is a real Nexus-like system white AOSP pure Android, in fact that's different
13th March 2014, 04:13 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 517

1,427 posts
Thread title seems like an invitation to a religious war.

But I'll plunge in anyway.

Two things:

1)Battery drain can be due to so many things, I wouldn't assume kernel. More likely an app or a setting. Install a good battery stats app and learn how to interpret the results.

Sometimes reinstalling the entire ROM won't even help. Flash back to a Sense ROM and see if you still have bad battery life. If so it could be firmware/radios etc.

2)

Google, for better or for worse, controls every aspect of a Nexus or GPE ROM. They have vast resources. They have talent, discipline, and access to low level hardware drivers etc. These ROMs come loaded with the whole arsenal of Google apps and are intended to showcase an optimized Google "experience"

AOSP ROMs , even Cyanogen, are produced by amateurs that do not have the same resources. They do amazing work, but necessarily they are going to take much longer to get up to speed after major changes to Android. Also, Google apps are not even included, technically. And cyanogen in particular has created their own control panels, apps, over-the-air update schemesand other proprietary systems that have nothing to do with Google.

If you are looking for purity, the question is "pure what"? Pure Google? Go with GPE.

Pure Freedom from Google? A pure, non-corporate, best-effort attempt at compiling a functioning ROM using the AOSP programming environment? Go with CM.

Google controls AOSP, admittedly, but they have no control over what projects others produce using it.

Your call.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to NxNW For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2014, 09:53 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Neive

626 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW

Thread title seems like an invitation to a religious war.

But I'll plunge in anyway.

Two things:

1)Battery drain can be due to so many things, I wouldn't assume kernel. More likely an app or a setting. Install a good battery stats app and learn how to interpret the results.

Sometimes reinstalling the entire ROM won't even help. Flash back to a Sense ROM and see if you still have bad battery life. If so it could be firmware/radios etc.

2)

Google, for better or for worse, controls every aspect of a Nexus or GPE ROM. They have vast resources. They have talent, discipline, and access to low level hardware drivers etc. These ROMs come loaded with the whole arsenal of Google apps and are intended to showcase an optimized Google "experience"

AOSP ROMs , even Cyanogen, are produced by amateurs that do not have the same resources. They do amazing work, but necessarily they are going to take much longer to get up to speed after major changes to Android. Also, Google apps are not even included, technically. And cyanogen in particular has created their own control panels, apps, over-the-air update schemesand other proprietary systems that have nothing to do with Google.

If you are looking for purity, the question is "pure what"? Pure Google? Go with GPE.

Pure Freedom from Google? A pure, non-corporate, best-effort attempt at compiling a functioning ROM using the AOSP programming environment? Go with CM.

Google controls AOSP, admittedly, but they have no control over what projects others produce using it.

Your call.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

It's not, maybe I chose the wrong words :\

However, thanks a lot for the clarification!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread