Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,583 Members 39,901 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Edition ROMs vs AOSP?

Tip us?
 
Cero92
Old
#1  
Cero92's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Posts: 619
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Neive

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Google Edition ROMs vs AOSP?

Hello, on XDA there are lots of custom ROMs, some are based on HTC One GE system, some on AOSP. I though that it's the same, but i see kernels are not compatible so i'd like to ask what are the differences. Thanks
 
MixaDJ
Old
(Last edited by MixaDJ; 13th March 2014 at 12:13 PM.)
#2  
MixaDJ's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 633
Posts: 693
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cero92 View Post
Hello, on XDA there are lots of custom ROMs, some are based on HTC One GE system, some on AOSP. I though that it's the same, but i see kernels are not compatible so i'd like to ask what are the differences. Thanks
This AOSP = Cyanogenmod. GEL = Include Beats audio, STOCK ROM FROM GOOGLE.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to MixaDJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Cero92
Old
#3  
Cero92's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Posts: 619
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Neive

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixaDJ View Post
This AOSP = Cyanogenmod. GEL = Include Beats audio, STOCK ROM FROM GOOGLE.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I'm asking because I noticed a huge battery drain with CyanogenMod, that I don't have on Sense ROMs. It's probably caused by kernel, right? Any advice?

Thanks for the informations, so GE is a real Nexus-like system white AOSP pure Android, in fact that's different
 
NxNW
Old
#4  
NxNW's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 517
Posts: 1,427
Join Date: Apr 2011
Thread title seems like an invitation to a religious war.

But I'll plunge in anyway.

Two things:

1)Battery drain can be due to so many things, I wouldn't assume kernel. More likely an app or a setting. Install a good battery stats app and learn how to interpret the results.

Sometimes reinstalling the entire ROM won't even help. Flash back to a Sense ROM and see if you still have bad battery life. If so it could be firmware/radios etc.

2)

Google, for better or for worse, controls every aspect of a Nexus or GPE ROM. They have vast resources. They have talent, discipline, and access to low level hardware drivers etc. These ROMs come loaded with the whole arsenal of Google apps and are intended to showcase an optimized Google "experience"

AOSP ROMs , even Cyanogen, are produced by amateurs that do not have the same resources. They do amazing work, but necessarily they are going to take much longer to get up to speed after major changes to Android. Also, Google apps are not even included, technically. And cyanogen in particular has created their own control panels, apps, over-the-air update schemesand other proprietary systems that have nothing to do with Google.

If you are looking for purity, the question is "pure what"? Pure Google? Go with GPE.

Pure Freedom from Google? A pure, non-corporate, best-effort attempt at compiling a functioning ROM using the AOSP programming environment? Go with CM.

Google controls AOSP, admittedly, but they have no control over what projects others produce using it.

Your call.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to NxNW For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Cero92
Old
#5  
Cero92's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Posts: 619
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Neive

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Thread title seems like an invitation to a religious war.

But I'll plunge in anyway.

Two things:

1)Battery drain can be due to so many things, I wouldn't assume kernel. More likely an app or a setting. Install a good battery stats app and learn how to interpret the results.

Sometimes reinstalling the entire ROM won't even help. Flash back to a Sense ROM and see if you still have bad battery life. If so it could be firmware/radios etc.

2)

Google, for better or for worse, controls every aspect of a Nexus or GPE ROM. They have vast resources. They have talent, discipline, and access to low level hardware drivers etc. These ROMs come loaded with the whole arsenal of Google apps and are intended to showcase an optimized Google "experience"

AOSP ROMs , even Cyanogen, are produced by amateurs that do not have the same resources. They do amazing work, but necessarily they are going to take much longer to get up to speed after major changes to Android. Also, Google apps are not even included, technically. And cyanogen in particular has created their own control panels, apps, over-the-air update schemesand other proprietary systems that have nothing to do with Google.

If you are looking for purity, the question is "pure what"? Pure Google? Go with GPE.

Pure Freedom from Google? A pure, non-corporate, best-effort attempt at compiling a functioning ROM using the AOSP programming environment? Go with CM.

Google controls AOSP, admittedly, but they have no control over what projects others produce using it.

Your call.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
It's not, maybe I chose the wrong words :\

However, thanks a lot for the clarification!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...