Soft Brick, Odin Fail, SUA Fail, Kies Fail. What to do?

OP HotShotAzn

7th March 2014, 05:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22

406 posts
My coworker gave me his Verizon S3 on 4.3 I was going to try to unlock it for TMobile by following this thread and not realizing that I wouldn't be able to flash the custom JB image because I was on 4.3. Needless to say, it didn't work. Odin failed repeatedly. Well one time it hung but I thought it was just orphaned so I unplugged my phone. Bam, soft brick.

I got the stock Verizon image here and tried to ODIN it back to stock. I fail at aboot. I tried the stock PIT along with the stock image. Failed.

I tried SUA and its stuck at 83% and has been for over an hour.

I tried Kies and it does not even recognize the device but does know when I unplug it.

I just want to get it to stock so I can root. Any help is appreciated.

I should add I am on a Macbook Pro using VM Fusion. I don't have another Win 7 machine. I do have an Ubuntu box and my wife's Win 8 laptop.
Last edited by HotShotAzn; 7th March 2014 at 05:54 PM.
7th March 2014, 05:59 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 768

1,521 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotShotAzn

My coworker gave me his Verizon S3 on 4.3 I was going to try to unlock it for TMobile by following this thread and not realizing that I wouldn't be able to flash the custom JB image because I was on 4.3. Needless to say, it didn't work. Odin failed repeatedly. Well one time it hung but I thought it was just orphaned so I unplugged my phone. Bam, soft brick.

I got the stock Verizon image here and tried to ODIN it back to stock. I fail at aboot. I tried the stock PIT along with the stock image. Failed.

I tried SUA and its stuck at 83% and has been for over an hour.

I tried Kies and it does not even recognize the device but does know when I unplug it.

I just want to get it to stock so I can root. Any help is appreciated.

I should add I am on a Macbook Pro using VM Fusion. I don't have another Win 7 machine. I do have an Ubuntu box and my wife's Win 8 laptop.

Use this guide, and specifically use jodin and follow the directions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2586319

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to BadUsername For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th March 2014, 08:48 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

406 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername

Use this guide, and specifically use jodin and follow the directions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2586319

Thanks for the tip. I tried JODIN but it sits in a "RUNNING" status for a long time. Like I left it for over an hour and it still just said "running".
7th March 2014, 08:54 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 768

1,521 posts
Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I tried JODIN but it sits in a "RUNNING" status for a long time. Like I left it for over an hour and it still just said "running".

Somethings wrong then, did you use the pit file?

I say unplug it and give it a shot again. Try a better cable if you have one.

Somebody else reported the same thing and I couldn't figure it out.

7th March 2014, 09:40 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

406 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername

Somethings wrong then, did you use the pit file?

I say unplug it and give it a shot again. Try a better cable if you have one.

Somebody else reported the same thing and I couldn't figure it out.

Correct, I used the PIT file for the 16GB S3.

I switched to the Windows version and let it run. It finished and said no changes were made. Rerunning it now.

I have a couple more cables at home (stock factory) so we'll give that a whirl.
The Following User Says Thank You to HotShotAzn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th March 2014, 10:01 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

406 posts
Well its off and running. Task manager has it using about half a gig of memory and CPU bounces so it looks like its doing something. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
8th March 2014, 12:08 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

406 posts
Well nada. It ran for over two hours and nothing. Not sure where the disconnect is.

I'm at home now and am going to try with a different cord.

Is there even a good indicator of JODIN running besides watching CPU/Memory?
8th March 2014, 01:31 AM   |  #8  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 533

922 posts
Donate to Me
More
A handful of people seem to get stuck at 83%. I'll try to look into the problem when I get the time. In odin how far did it get before it failed? Just so I know I'm explaining properly what part is odin flashing.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePagel For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th March 2014, 02:09 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member

406 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePagel

A handful of people seem to get stuck at 83%. I'll try to look into the problem when I get the time. In odin how far did it get before it failed? Just so I know I'm explaining properly what part is odin flashing.

Thanks! I appreciate the offer for help!

This is the furthest that Odin has gone. I had just removed all Samsung drivers and rebooted.

<ID:0/008> Odin v.3 engine (ID:8)..
<ID:0/008> File analysis..
<ID:0/008> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/008> Initialzation..
<ID:0/008> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/008> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/008> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/008> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/008> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/008> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/008> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/008> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/008> tz.mbn
<ID:0/008> boot.img
<ID:0/008> recovery.img
<ID:0/008> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
8th March 2014, 07:57 AM   |  #10  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 533

922 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks! I appreciate the offer for help!

This is the furthest that Odin has gone. I had just removed all Samsung drivers and rebooted.

<ID:0/008> Odin v.3 engine (ID:8)..
<ID:0/008> File analysis..
<ID:0/008> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/008> Initialzation..
<ID:0/008> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/008> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/008> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/008> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/008> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/008> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/008> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/008> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/008> tz.mbn
<ID:0/008> boot.img
<ID:0/008> recovery.img
<ID:0/008> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

A few things to try before I start looking into more drastic options. I did a quick google search and it seems the gs4 people have a similar problem but at 66%. One person said that by using the usb on the actual motherboard not the front or pci/pcie slot it worked. I would add a recommendation of uninstalling the drivers restart the pc then reinstall the drivers without the phone plugged in restart again and make sure you use a built in usb 2.0 (make sure its not 3.0 or 1.1). also if you have the samsung usb cable use that if you don't and fail try a different one. if you tried everything and you do have a usb 3.0 it couldn't hurt to try it (the first time I used the verizon utility was on 3.0 and it worked fine for me). I will hopefully have time tomorrow to explore this a little but my schedule is packed. I can look at the forums on my phone every hour or so but no access to a computer because I am running around.

Ideas that came right before I hit submit but I don't feel like changing my post:

Make sure your pc is updated 100% (especially drivers, you may need to go to the manufacturers website to get motherboard drivers. widows update is ok but not 100% recent)

Make sure you install the phone drivers with kies (check the install unified drivers option at the end of install. or if its already installed click trouble shoot connection in kies)

Make sure kies is completely closed before you open odin or verizon utility (Reboot should take care of that)

Before you open odin or verizon utility make sure no unneeded programs are running (once again that last restart should take care of that unless you have programs auto launch on start up)

Open odin or Verizon utility as administrator

Lastly if you go to try a different usb cable or port you should click that trouble shoot connection button then make sure you completely close kies before you plug the phone in. I know that sounds like a pain but its the only way to make sure every base has been covered. sometimes the biggest problems are from the smallest detail. Also it looks like it is running fine until you get to the big file which is the system file. I am wondering if perhaps you are on a usb 1.1 and that is why the over one gigabyte file fails to transfer.
Last edited by ThePagel; 8th March 2014 at 08:03 AM.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePagel For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread