Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,198 Members 39,914 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Do you think Motorola made the G camera look worse then the X's on purpose?

Tip us?

CADude
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 639
Question Do you think Motorola made the G camera look worse then the X's on purpose?

Have you guys noticed that nothing has been done about the G camera's excess noise reduction? It smudges a lot of the detail that should be there but isn't.

I have a feeling that the Aptina AR0543 CMOS sensor can take significant more detailed pictures but Motorola saw it and thought: "hmmm this camera is too good and it will make the Moto G too much of a good deal compared to the X" so they added some ridiculous software noise reduction to make pictures look worse and thus make consumers think "hmmm if I want a good camera I should spend the extra money and get the X"

I know some people will think this is unlikely, but there's no good reason why the noise reduction is so high on the Moto G's camera and considering that the Moto G is the saving grace for Motorola while the X hasn't really sold that well, they should just give up and make the Moto G's camera even better by getting rid of the noise reduction and tuning the colors so they keep selling more and more Moto G's.

What do you think?

i_rnb
Old
Thanks Meter 222
yes this is true.. even my good old galaxy apollo's 3.1MP shooter is far better than Moto G's. camera is the worst thing happened to Moto G.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy Apollo GT-i5801
CyanogenMod7.2 (Unofficial Port by marcellusbe)

Motorola Moto G 16GB Dual XT1033
Stock 4.4.2

SamsungAdmire
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Yes. See this. Moto X had the same problem with the noise reduction.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7353/m...camera-quality

Either Motorola doesn't know yet(post on their forums about it a lot so they know) OR they're not updating it on purpose so the Moto X camera looks better.

eastdata
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Yeah, I think they overcompensated with the noise reduction, that should be a post-effect. My beef is with the white balance, it's noticeably blue. They're all software issues and I can't see how that could have been missed. All the hardware is there for a decent picture.

ViperXTR
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Subject also discussed here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2567260

I wonder if just a bomb tickin to explode with an update (as waht they did with the X)
Maybe they update it once the competing phones comes out

CADude
Old
(Last edited by CADude; 2nd March 2014 at 06:26 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdata View Post
Yeah, I think they overcompensated with the noise reduction, that should be a post-effect. My beef is with the white balance, it's noticeably blue. They're all software issues and I can't see how that could have been missed. All the hardware is there for a decent picture.
Exactly. I don't see how somebody at Motorola can look at a sample image and thought that is acceptable for production unless they wanted it to be that way. Every Moto G seems to look like a oil painting when zoomed at 100% and they have to know by now but for some reason they haven't even acknowledged it despite this phone being one of the best phones of 2013 and every single publication and user online saying the camera is the single flaw in this phone.

If they never deliver a firmware update, it's got to be intentional. Hopefully I'm wrong and they are just dragging their feet since its not a very profitable device.

jaspreet997
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADude View Post
Exactly. I don't see how somebody at Motorola can look at a sample image and thought that is acceptable for production unless they wanted it to be that way. Every Moto G seem to look like a oil painting when zoomed at 100% and they have to know by now but for some reason they haven't even acknowledged it despite this phone being one of the best phones of 2013 and every single publication and user online saying the camera is the single flaw in this phone.

If they never deliver a firmware update, its got to be intentional. Hopefully I'm wrong and they are just dragging their feet since its not a very profitable device.
Haha conspiracy theory!.... Let's flood them with emails?

The Following User Says Thank You to jaspreet997 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eastdata
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADude View Post
Exactly. I don't see how somebody at Motorola can look at a sample image and thought that is acceptable for production unless they wanted it to be that way. Every Moto G seem to look like a oil painting when zoomed at 100% and they have to know by now but for some reason they haven't even acknowledged it despite this phone being one of the best phones of 2013 and every single publication and user online saying the camera is the single flaw in this phone.

If they never deliver a firmware update, its got to be intentional. Hopefully I'm wrong and they are just dragging their feet since its not a very profitable device.
I hope that it's an oversight on Moto's part. I mean the sale to Lenova was somewhat hushed and timed just after release--they probably wanted to make sure it had a market presence to allay any misgivings in the acquisition. In that sense they may have pushed for release and not vetted the software as they may otherwise have done. There have been issues with the camera app itself.

CADude
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspreet997 View Post
Haha conspiracy theory!.... Let's flood them with emails?

Hopefully people have already been doing that along with posting on their forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to CADude For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

x92
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I am suspecting this as well.
The MSM8226 processor is supposed to be 1.4 GHz but in our Moto G it is underclocked to 1.2GHz.
5MP camera is good enough to take 1080p video, but for moto g the maximum is only 720p.
It could be the same for picture quality, they try to distinct their flagship and their budget phone by making Moto G looks worst.