Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,563 Members 44,732 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Garbled phone quality after flashing

Tip us?

kaptr1d
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Garbled phone quality after flashing

I'm a first-time poster here but I've been using XDA for years to root and flash phones. My first android phone was the EVO 4G and I've had about 5 since then, all of them rooted and flashed multiple times with no issues to date... until now!

My wife has an older T-Mobile Galaxy S2 (T989). She was having problems with the keyboard hanging and text messages lagging so rather then wipe it and restore the stock ROM I figured I might as well update it.

I used the latest release of CWM and rooted the phone with SU.

Then I flashed a new radio ( SGH-T989D_TLMC4_radio ).
Then I flashed Paranoid Android 4.0 beta 6.
Then I flashed mini gapps.

Everything on the phone seemed to be working great but then today at work she tried making phone calls.

The phone is able to dial and make calls and pickup and receive calls but the actual call quality is terrible. The voices are all broken up and have high pitched digital noise mixed in with the voice of the other caller.

Should I experiment with flashing different radios? I did a search and couldn't find much but I wasn't sure how to word the problem so it might be a common issue that I'm not aware of. Thanks!

cwyman
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptr1d View Post
I'm a first-time poster here but I've been using XDA for years to root and flash phones. My first android phone was the EVO 4G and I've had about 5 since then, all of them rooted and flashed multiple times with no issues to date... until now!

My wife has an older T-Mobile Galaxy S2 (T989). She was having problems with the keyboard hanging and text messages lagging so rather then wipe it and restore the stock ROM I figured I might as well update it.

I used the latest release of CWM and rooted the phone with SU.

Then I flashed a new radio ( SGH-T989D_TLMC4_radio ).
Then I flashed Paranoid Android 4.0 beta 6.
Then I flashed mini gapps.

Everything on the phone seemed to be working great but then today at work she tried making phone calls.

The phone is able to dial and make calls and pickup and receive calls but the actual call quality is terrible. The voices are all broken up and have high pitched digital noise mixed in with the voice of the other caller.

Should I experiment with flashing different radios? I did a search and couldn't find much but I wasn't sure how to word the problem so it might be a common issue that I'm not aware of. Thanks!
I think the radio you named above is for the Telus version of the phone (not T Mobile). Here is a link to the radio thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1895400