Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,503 Members 37,002 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wireless HDMI dongle

Tip us?
 
drb01
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 39
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Default Wireless HDMI dongle

Hi does anyone know of a wireless HDMI dongle that works with the GPad for home use? I have a slightly odd setup so will need to do the sound via the headphone socket (and don't want audio delay). In theory HDMI 1.3 should work it out. Does anyone know of a dongle that is worth trying? There seems precious little information out there...
 
Impromark
Old
#2  
Impromark's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 107
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Calgary
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb01 View Post
Hi does anyone know of a wireless HDMI dongle that works with the GPad for home use? I have a slightly odd setup so will need to do the sound via the headphone socket (and don't want audio delay). In theory HDMI 1.3 should work it out. Does anyone know of a dongle that is worth trying? There seems precious little information out there...
Not wireless, but I bought a cheapo slimport off of eBay and it works just fine... Lots of Miracast options there too, but I can't make a recommendation.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Impromark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
drb01
Old
(Last edited by drb01; 17th April 2014 at 05:45 PM.)
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 39
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impromark View Post
Not wireless, but I bought a cheapo slimport off of eBay and it works just fine... Lots of Miracast options there too, but I can't make a recommendation.

Mark
Thanks, which slimport did you get? That would certainly be the safer option for my purposes (and cheaper!). There seem to be some costing 7 and some costing 30. I have no idea if it is a passive device, in which case they should all be the same, or if there is actually some electronics in the slimport in which case perhaps best to get a more expensive one.

The miracast options on ebay all have very mixed reviews...
 
Impromark
Old
#4  
Impromark's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 107
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Calgary
I got one of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6FT-Slimport-...b30046e&_uhb=1

I specifically got that one because I'd rather have my charging plugin at the BACK of the TV instead of tangled up in the front. Most Slimport adapters have the USB end and the charging end within inches of each other.

I find it works just fine, and the G-Pad will also let you do other stuff while the video is mirrored on the screen (yet another thing the iPad! doesn't do!). The only thing that doesn't work well is charging while plugged into the TV - as it's designed for phone use, it's only a trickle / 500mA charge (if that), which will keep the G-Pad going but won't charge appreciably (or at all) while you're outputting to the TV. Better just to use it only for the TV and keep your regular charger for direct use.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Impromark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
drb01
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 39
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impromark View Post
I got one of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6FT-Slimport-...b30046e&_uhb=1

I specifically got that one because I'd rather have my charging plugin at the BACK of the TV instead of tangled up in the front. Most Slimport adapters have the USB end and the charging end within inches of each other.

I find it works just fine, and the G-Pad will also let you do other stuff while the video is mirrored on the screen (yet another thing the iPad! doesn't do!). The only thing that doesn't work well is charging while plugged into the TV - as it's designed for phone use, it's only a trickle / 500mA charge (if that), which will keep the G-Pad going but won't charge appreciably (or at all) while you're outputting to the TV. Better just to use it only for the TV and keep your regular charger for direct use.

Mark
Thanks - may well go for that, but hope to get some wireless feedback too before I take the plunge
 
-MX-
Old
#6  
-MX-'s Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 20
Join Date: Dec 2009
Have you considered a chromecast then headphones from the tv/stereo?

Sent from my AOKP GS4
The Following User Says Thank You to -MX- For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
drb01
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 39
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by -MX- View Post
Have you considered a chromecast then headphones from the tv/stereo?

Sent from my AOKP GS4
Happy to go with either miracast or chromcast so long as it does what it is supposed to do, the video quality is good (eg for watching netflix on my 1080p projector) and i can use the headphone socket on the LG Gpad (not the amp as it doesnt have hdmi). But I suspect miracast is better for netflix?
 
drb01
Old
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 39
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb01 View Post
Happy to go with either miracast or chromcast so long as it does what it is supposed to do, the video quality is good (eg for watching netflix on my 1080p projector) and i can use the headphone socket on the LG Gpad (not the amp as it doesnt have hdmi). But I suspect miracast is better for netflix?
Does anyone have any miracast experience? The reviews on Amazon are shocking and I can't believe it is that bad...
 
5warafat1
Old
#9  
5warafat1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 22
Posts: 155
Join Date: Nov 2012
My g pad works well with the official samsung allshare cast hub. So the tablets screen gets monitored on the tv.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to 5warafat1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
drb01
Old
#10  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 39
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5warafat1 View Post
My g pad works well with the official samsung allshare cast hub. So the tablets screen gets monitored on the tv.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Free mobile app
Thanks. They seem to get much better reviews on amazon, but at 50 they also seem to cost double. I guess one has to pay up for this! Is there much of a lag? Not worried about gaming, but more about lipsync with the headphone output on the LG against the video...

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes