Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,633 Members 37,485 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Why did you choose the compact over the Z1 ?

Tip us?

One Twelve
Old
(Last edited by One Twelve; 3rd February 2014 at 09:43 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98
Default Why did you choose the compact over the Z1 ?

Trying to see what factors influenced people here to get a 4.3" screen over a 5".

Portability is a good reason but how do you reconcile that with decreased readability of a smaller screen.

The trend was to move from iphone size screen over to 5 inchers. 5 inches seems optimum. Anything bigger and it becomes unwieldy. Now it seems we're going in the opposite direction.

So given a choice over the Z1 or compact. Why would you go with the compact ?
The Following User Says Thank You to One Twelve For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

toxic_garden
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Twelve View Post
Trying to see what factors influenced people here to get a 4.3" screen over a 5".

Portability is a good reason but how do you reconcile that with decreased readability of a smaller screen.
i am really, really glad someone took the step to release a 4,3"-phone with descent hardware-specs. I just want to reach all corners of the screen while holding it in one hand. Can't do this with 5" or larger. Also, i don't need 5" for any reason on my mobile. I got a Nexus 7 for watching movies, playing HiRes-Games and all the other stuff, a large screen is good for. So 4,3" on the mobile is perfect for me because it fits into the pocket and i can use it one-handed.
current Phone: Xperia Z1 Compact / CWM / Stock 4.4.4
current Tab: Nexus 7 (2013) / CWM / CleanRomROM 4.4.4 /
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toxic_garden For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

frason
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:

The trend was to move from iphone size screen over to 5 inchers. 5 inches seems optimum. Anything bigger and it unwieldy. Now it seems we're going in the opposite direction.

So given a choice over the Z1 or compact. Why would you go with the compact ?
Size.
And as a bonus a better IPS-display.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Previous Phones: HTC One, iPhone 5 (32GB)

Zoidy
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I moved from a Galaxy S3 which I'd had for 2 years. My main worry about getting the Z1c was the smaller screen. And after having the Z1c for a couple of days I'm getting used to it.

I do find the keyboard letters smaller but. I do love this phone. It's far speedier than the S3 and I find the text shaper.

I'm not missing the 4.8" S3 at all.

Sent from my D5503 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoidy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

One Twelve
Old
(Last edited by One Twelve; 3rd February 2014 at 09:50 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_garden View Post
i am really, really glad someone took the step to release a 4,3"-phone with descent hardware-specs. I just want to reach all corners of the screen while holding it in one hand. Can't do this with 5" or larger.
Underlined bit is a major reason i've heard people mention for not going beyond 5 inchers.

Time was you could not make a screen that big and be able to use it one handed. Things have changed. many people think the Z1 is very close to the size of the note 3 yet only offers a 5 inch screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_garden View Post
Also, i don't need 5" for any reason on my mobile. I got a Nexus 7 for watching movies, playing HiRes-Games and all the other stuff, a large screen is good for. So 4,3" on the mobile is perfect for me because it fits into the pocket and i can use it one-handed.
What about web browsing though ? granted reading on a 5 incher isn't all that great either. but does going smaller make it worse.

Not talking about ppi or anything just wondering whether the reduced screen estate gets in the way. If you don't do much browsing then its moot. But part of owning a smartphone is being able to do just that. To browse on the move.

toxic_garden
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
What about web browsing though ? granted reading on a 5 incher isn't all that great either. but does going smaller make it worse.

Not talking about ppi or anything just wondering whether the reduced screen estate gets in the way. If you don't do much browsing then its moot. But part of owning a smartphone is being able to do just that. To browse on the move.
i rarely use the browser. For most things (Wikipedia, Facebook, Amazon, Imgur, xda, etc.) i use the appropriate app. And reading within those apps doesn't make a difference between 4.3" and 5" for me. So: no, i don't browse a lot (by meaning "browsing" in the classical way using the browser), but gather information using the mobile apps. Which works just perfect for me. Especially as i changed the dpi to 280, so there's a bit more room for content.
current Phone: Xperia Z1 Compact / CWM / Stock 4.4.4
current Tab: Nexus 7 (2013) / CWM / CleanRomROM 4.4.4 /
The Following User Says Thank You to toxic_garden For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

styxter
Old
Thanks Meter 3
If i had a chance to choose from z1 to z1c ill get z1c. Battery and screen size. Ratio of battery to screen size is almost perfect. I hope thwy should keep this ratio.

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

XperienceD
Old
Thanks Meter 2351
Size. 5"+ is a mini tablet imo and impractical for one handed operation, and for some reason manufacturers seem to have thought this far that everyone wants a big screen which for me just isn't the case, where as the Z1 Compact is perfect for a "mobile" Phone.

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Steve_God
Old
(Last edited by Steve_God; 3rd February 2014 at 12:56 PM.) Reason: typos
Thanks Meter 10
Specs and Size for me.

I've had the HTC One X now for nearly 2 years, and coming close to upgrade time so had been looking around anyway, however, started a new job five months ago and was given an iPhone 5 as my works phone.

Both on the same network, so has been a really good test for me to compare the two OS's back to back. And while the iPhone has loads of really nice features, there are so many things it lacks (and also performs really poorly on, like dealing with anything in a poor signal area), which has made me really prefer Android.

The only one thing that I really like about the iPhone 5 compared to my HTC, is the size... it's made it feel massive, and now I've used both side by side, I really notice how much nicer a smaller phone is to use day to day.

Went to look at all the other 'Mini' phones, and they're all the same spec as my current HTC One X, which considering it's nearly 2 years old, seemed pointless to pay for a 'new' phone, when it's no better than my existing one, only smaller.
Then the Compact was announced, with same high-end specs as all the other flagship phones, and fit the bill perfectly!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_God For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Telaran
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I bought a Z1c after a "Hands-On" in a shop and I had the same reasons as many others: Size and Spec

Size:
Some people state that the size of an IPhone 4s is perfect, some other prefer a 5". So it's more a point of view and taste.
I've had many "hands-on" with different devices and for my taste/usage everything above 4.6" would be too much.
If possible I still like to use my thumb for scrolling, etc and with Z1c I can reach almost every corner of the screen.

Specs:
I guess I don't have to go in detail? It's just perfect and is a great successor of my Xperia S.