Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,829 Members 42,110 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stuck on 4.4 with write protection off (no root)

Tip us?

mrnathanman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Stuck on 4.4 with write protection off (no root)

I have a droid maxx. As I was going through the "path to 4.4" I accidentally flashed 4.4 with RSD lite after getting write protection off. I know it has been said that going back to 4.2.2 is impossible but since I have write protection off is there a way to still get root?

BladeRunner
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnathanman View Post
I have a droid maxx. As I was going through the "path to 4.4" I accidentally flashed 4.4 with RSD lite after getting write protection off. I know it has been said that going back to 4.2.2 is impossible but since I have write protection off is there a way to still get root?
were you rooted on 4.2.2 and installed slapMyMoto? If yes then you can (I am assuming not), if not then you are stuck without root.

mrnathanman
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default :'(

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner View Post
were you rooted on 4.2.2 and installed slapMyMoto? If yes then you can (I am assuming not), if not then you are stuck without root.
Sadly no... Well I done ****ed that up. How likely do you think 4.4 native root is? (just out of curiosity)

BladeRunner
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnathanman View Post
Sadly no... Well I done ****ed that up. How likely do you think 4.4 native root is? (just out of curiosity)
That is the million dollar question. It does exist just the exploit was not released. Whether that will ever get released or someone else comes up with something else remains to be seen

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

jmaclean62
Old
Thanks Meter 8
If I had an exploit that worked, I would probably keep it under wraps until after 4.4.2 is released so that Moto doesn't patch it with the new release. If that were to be the case, that would mean that we won't see a root exploit released until after 4.4.2 comes out. That would save the developer work in the long run and make it more difficult for Moto to stop it.

Just a hypothesis....

BladeRunner
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaclean62 View Post
If I had an exploit that worked, I would probably keep it under wraps until after 4.4.2 is released so that Moto doesn't patch it with the new release. If that were to be the case, that would mean that we won't see a root exploit released until after 4.4.2 comes out. That would save the developer work in the long run and make it more difficult for Moto to stop it.

Just a hypothesis....
That has been theorized too. Hopefully that is the case for those with locked bootloaders. Just as important though is to turn write protection off which has been patched in 4.4.2. Without write protection disabled root is almost worthless

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2