Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,340 Members 43,014 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 Mic stopped working

Tip us?

Waitzar
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Nexus 7 Mic stopped working

I got my pre-ordered Nexus 7 16GB (from Staples) on 7/16 and everything worked fine until today. I just tried using Google Now and it is not picking my voice. So I went to Evernote to record Voice memo and it is not picking up anything either. I did Factory reset and not solving my mic issue. I think the mic in my Nexus 7 died? Anyone else got mic issue?

wopr101
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitzar View Post
I got my pre-ordered Nexus 7 16GB (from Staples) on 7/16 and everything worked fine until today. I just tried using Google Now and it is not picking my voice. So I went to Evernote to record Voice memo and it is not picking up anything either. I did Factory reset and not solving my mic issue. I think the mic in my Nexus 7 died? Anyone else got mic issue?
Mine appears to be dead straight out the box, not working in a hangout either :'(

ostermang
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Mine seems to be dead out of the box as well. Tried a factory reset which didn't help.

mackendw
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Default toggle the bit

Did you try toggle the mic on/off?

wopr101
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackendw View Post
Did you try toggle the mic on/off?
Its not the toggle on/off but I have fixed mine with a rather strange fix.

Put your lips over the mic hole and gently suck for a second or two, this fixed mine. If you tap the back panel you will see it is working slightly(on Google now) but after doing the suck trick fixed the issue. Hope it works for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to wopr101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ostermang
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Tried tapping on the back near the mic and mine doesn't register any sound at all. Tried sucking on the two mic holes which didn't seem to help.

How do you toggle the mic? I have searched everywhere for microphone options in the settings. I must be overlooking something.

sakanagai
Old
Thanks Meter 2
My mic isn't non-functional, but it barely works. In order for it to register anything, I have to turn it so the mic is right in my mouth and practically shout.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Just got off the phone with Nexus support. They said that my tablet is defective and has to get returned for a replacement (about a week).

ostermang
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I just called Google and they are replacing mine as well. Luckily they do advanced exchange so I won't be without my new nexus 7.

Waitzar
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
I called Staples Customer Service this morning. They told me they will get me a new unit tomorrow and pick up my defected unit. Hopefully, I am not misunderstanding them. I am surprised they have stock to give me a new unit this quickly.

Waitzar
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopr101 View Post
Its not the toggle on/off but I have fixed mine with a rather strange fix.

Put your lips over the mic hole and gently suck for a second or two, this fixed mine. If you tap the back panel you will see it is working slightly(on Google now) but after doing the suck trick fixed the issue. Hope it works for you.
That is a strange way you figure out how to fix your unit. I love my Nexus 7 but don't love it enough to put my lips around mic hole and suck on it.