Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,037 Members 51,962 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android Recovery

Tip us?

tallyforeman
Old
(Last edited by tallyforeman; 11th June 2012 at 03:50 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 763
Default Android Recovery

I have a coworker thats got horrible battery life on his Charge. I've read through the forum about charginging and charging and charging untill the battery percentage is at 100% then reset the battery cache.

For the life of me, I can't get this thing into simple Android Recovery to reset the battery stats. I've tried holding down the volume button while powering on with and without the power cord and also plugged in to the cpu. The only thing it does is give me the big yellow warning triangle about downloading. Is there something I'm leaving out or possibly not tried yet? This Charge is bone stock and plain jane. No tweaks at all. Any help is greatly appreciated!

JihadSquad
Old
Thanks Meter 244
Deleting battery stats does nothing for your battery life. It is cleared when you unplug the phone at full charge anyway.

Sent from my handheld computer using electromagnetic radiation.
I will DIE for our cause!
VZW Galaxy S4 - Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to JihadSquad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shrike1978
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3094

DONATE TO ME
As reinforcement for what JihadSquad said, here it is, straight from the mouth (keyboard) of a Google engineer: https://plus.google.com/105051985738...ts/FV3LVtdVxPT
My HTC Rezound Development:
CounterShrike (Heavily modified CM9 - Aroma Installer) - PAC-Man (CM10/AOKP/Paranoid Android hybrid) - Ermahgerd Kernel (ICS/JB AOSP kernel)

My smartphone history: iPhone (Retired) - iPhone 3G (Retired) - iPhone 3GS (Retired) - Samsung Droid Charge (Retired) - HTC Rezound (Dev phone) - Samsung Galaxy Note II (Current)

All of my work is open source: My Github
Donations are never expected, but always appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to shrike1978 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tallyforeman
Old
(Last edited by tallyforeman; 11th June 2012 at 04:35 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 763
Gotcha. Thank you both!!

My reason for asking is that this thing drinks battery juice like its going out of style. He can have the phone at full charge and power off, 3 hours later he turns it back off and its already at 60 percent.

I will add that after doing the charge and charge and charge again repeatedly, that it has helped. He doesn't have any apps on his phone that he's downloaded and really dont know anything about that.

It just blows me away at how bad the phone won't hold a charge

shrike1978
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3094

DONATE TO ME
I'm assuming he isn't rooted. Most likely, there's an app that's keeping the phone from sleeping, but without rooting, it'll be hard to tell. I usually recommend a combination of CPU Spy and Better Battery Stats to diagnose the problem, but without root, there's not a lot that can be done other than turning down the frequency of updates and trial and error to find misbehaving apps.
My HTC Rezound Development:
CounterShrike (Heavily modified CM9 - Aroma Installer) - PAC-Man (CM10/AOKP/Paranoid Android hybrid) - Ermahgerd Kernel (ICS/JB AOSP kernel)

My smartphone history: iPhone (Retired) - iPhone 3G (Retired) - iPhone 3GS (Retired) - Samsung Droid Charge (Retired) - HTC Rezound (Dev phone) - Samsung Galaxy Note II (Current)

All of my work is open source: My Github
Donations are never expected, but always appreciated.

tallyforeman
Old
(Last edited by tallyforeman; 11th June 2012 at 07:17 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 763
True. I was thinking an app or something along the line of that too. But initially I asked about that and the guy didn't even know what the Market is......

It's not rooted. The only difference from the way it is to having it turned on in the Verizon store is, well, its just that lol.

It boggles my mind as to why the phone looses a charge and the power isn't even on. There is a very noticeable difference in just over 3 hours of the power being off from a full charge.

Reilly1812
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Try another battery. I started having problems and a new battery solved them. If nothing else, it proves your battery is good or bad, as well as giving you a backup when the primary is discharged.

Cilraaz
Old
Thanks Meter 204

DONATE TO ME
My guess is that he's in a fringe 4G area and the radios are struggling for signal, which can cause a large amount of battery loss.

cnoevl21
Old
Thanks Meter 18
The facebook app drains alot of battery n i think it comes with stock.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA

BattsNotIncld
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
My guess is that he's in a fringe 4G area and the radios are struggling for signal, which can cause a large amount of battery loss.
This is what I would expect too. When the phone is on the border of a 4g area and constantly switching between 4g/3g, the battery gets drained rather quickly.

You say the phone loses battery when the power is off? Do you mean the phone is completely powered down, or just the screen is off? If the phone is completely off and the battery is draining, then it's time for a new battery. If just the screen is off, then it's either the radio doing the damage, or a rogue app. The problem is, like other have said, that you have to be rooted to really pinpoint what is causing the issue. If you are not rooted, a rogue app can easily be discovered in the stock battery stats by charging completely before bed and letting the phone sit overnight. Ideally you should be getting a 1-2% drop per hour while the phone is idle. If there is an app eating battery in the background, it will be high on the list when you wake up.

I can't stress enough how much a good kernel can help with battery life. Imnuts did a great job with PBJ and I'm reaping the benefits . I'm not on my phone all that much, but this is typical battery life for me (about 1:30 hrs of screen on time):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120612-080716.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1125804