Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,526 Members 50,232 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to root Nubia Z5S

Tip us?

Ssamf
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default How to root Nubia Z5S

Hi,

I bought a ZTE Nubia Z5S. This phone obviously has some really nice spec. I bought it in China.

The phone itself looks great. Screen is wonderful. It's light. Not too big. So good so far...

I tried to root it of course, since Chinese phones don't like Google Apps. I found many tutorials in Chinese. I tried them with the help of Google Transleter, with no luck so far.

I found some English sites regarding it, but still no luck. I simply can not install the CWM recovery. Have no idea why...

If you want I can send you the links I found so far. But what I really need is help with this!

Thank you!

mirceat
Old
Thanks Meter 40
I bought the ZTE Nubia Z5S from China as well.
No chance for safe root yet, I guess. I've tried Kingo root, it has recognized the phone, but the root process has been unsuccessful.
VRoot might work better, but I don't dare to try it, being still considered malware. Other root solutions have been researched, no one looks useful.
A thread from the bbs.nubia.cn forum describes a Chinese recovery, no root required to flash it. Entering this recovery, there is a root option you can apply to your phone. I'm a nubia forum registered user, but unfortunately I can't get to the hidden download link without Chinese knowledge.
My plan is to wait for MIUI to publish the first Z5S ROM, including root instructions. I'll go the MIUI way.
I'd stay away from Google apps and Play Store, noticing I can live without them.
There are reliable alternatives and some manual sync/update work wont hurt me.

Ssamf
Old
(Last edited by Ssamf; 27th January 2014 at 09:56 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirceat View Post
I bought the ZTE Nubia Z5S from China as well.
No chance for safe root yet, I guess. I've tried Kingo root, it has recognized the phone, but the root process has been unsuccessful.
VRoot might work better, but I don't dare to try it, being still considered malware. Other root solutions have been researched, no one looks useful.
A thread from the bbs.nubia.cn forum describes a Chinese recovery, no root required to flash it. Entering this recovery, there is a root option you can apply to your phone. I'm a nubia forum registered user, but unfortunately I can't get to the hidden download link without Chinese knowledge.
My plan is to wait for MIUI to publish the first Z5S ROM, including root instructions. I'll go the MIUI way.
I'd stay away from Google apps and Play Store, noticing I can live without them.
There are reliable alternatives and some manual sync/update work wont hurt me.
I rooted it with VRoot downloaded from a Chinese page, htcui.com. I managed to install CWM recovery witch is in Chinese, but found some pics, in a Spanish forum actually translated. I put on first a ROM from Needrom, but I did not like it. I read on forums that the ROM NubiaKing (htcui.com as well) is considered the best now. So I tried it out, but it has an installer in Chinese, (Aroma Installer) but with help from my Chinese knowing girlfriend a managed to install the ROM.

It is stable. Runs smoothly. The only problem I have with it, NO idea why, is that I can not sync my contact neither with Facebook, nor with Google+...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ssamf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mirceat
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Interesting site htcui.com, haven't noticed it. The Spanish forum htcmania.com tells about installing Gapps as well. This should help you to sync contacts. Have you installed Gapps?
I was thinking to install just GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk from the Gapps package to get in sync with my Google account. No other Google apps, when possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to mirceat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ssamf
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirceat View Post
Interesting site htcui.com, haven't noticed it. The Spanish forum htcmania.com tells about installing Gapps as well. This should help you to sync contacts. Have you installed Gapps?
I was thinking to install just GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk from the Gapps package to get in sync with my Google account. No other Google apps, when possible.
Well no I haven't installed Gapps. The Play store was in the ROM already... That might be the problem, that I merely just downloaded the apps from Play store..? But I'm going to try out the .apk you suggested...

ruvimbo
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hi Guys,

Ive also bought a Z5s, but there went something wrong during the installation for the cwm recovery. Now the phone is stuck on the logo and I have only access to the stock recovery. Tried factory wipe, but that didnt change anything.

Is there a way to get into fastboot?
Tried some button combinations, but didnt make it.

As it is now, I cant get access from my computer and therefore cant add files on the sd-card to move on.

Thanks,

ruvimbo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruvimbo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mirceat
Old
Thanks Meter 40
http://bbs.nubia.cn/forum-77-1.html might have a debricking topic, I guess. I'm not able to check it myself right now.

Sent from my ZTE Nubia Z5S
The Following User Says Thank You to mirceat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mirceat
Old
(Last edited by mirceat; 9th March 2014 at 10:42 AM.) Reason: added new translation, MIUI English recovery
Thanks Meter 40
Just when somebody needs it, there is an attempt to translate CWM 6.0.4.5 menu on http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showt...#entry28854764, all credits go to the original poster:

All (?) confirmation screens (up to down):
Reject
Accept
+++ Return +++

--------------------------
Main screen (up to down):

Reboot system now
Install zip from sdcard
Wipe data / factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Backup and restore
Mounts and storage (?)
Advanced

Install update.zip screen (up to down):

Choose zip from sdcard
Select update from the last used folder (/sdcard/update.zip ?)
Choose zip from internal sdcard (?)
Toggle signature verification
+++ Return +++

Backup and Restore screen (up to down):

Backup to /storage/sdcard0
Restore from /storage/sdcard0
Delete backup file from /storage/sdcard0
Advanced restore from /storage/sdcard0
Free unused backup data
Choose the default backup format

+++ Return +++

There is another Recovery menu translation on http://bbs.nubia.cn/thread-102331-1-1.html
The content is hidden, requiring a thanks post, pretty difficult to get it without Chinese knowledge.
You can find the translation below as text or attached as jpg file.

本帖隐藏的内容

--apply sdcard:update.zip 使用SD卡根目录的update.zip更新系统
--wipe data/factory reset 清空data分区并恢复出厂设置
--wipecache partition 清空cache分区
--install zip from sdcard 从SDcard选择文件更新系统
--apply sdcard:update.zip 使用SD卡根目录的update.zip 更新系统
--choose zip from sdcard 从SD卡选择zip格式升级包
--toggle signatureverification 切换签名验证
--toggle script asserts 切换升级脚本检查
--backup and restore 备份和恢复
--Backup 备份
--Restore 恢复
--Advanced Restore 高级恢复
--mounts andstorage 挂载和存储
--mount /system 挂载/system分区(系统分区)
--mount /data 挂载/data分区(数据分区)
--mount /cache 挂载/cache分区(缓存分区)
--mount /sd-ext 挂载/sd-ext分区(A2SD分区)
--format boot 格式化内核分区
--format system格式化系统分区
--format data 格式化数据分区
--format cache格式化缓存分区
--formatsdcard格式化存储卡
--format sd-ext格式化内存卡SD
--mount USB storage挂载SD卡为U盘模式
--advanced 高级
--Reboot Recovery 重启Recovery
--Wipe DalvikCache 清空Dalvik缓存
--Wipe Battery Stats 清空电池状态
--Report Error 报告错误
--KeyTest 键位测试
--Partition SD Card 对SD卡分区
--Fix Permissions 修复权限
--power off 关机
--touch calibration 触屏校准

Later edit: there is a MIUI English recovery based on CWM 6.0.3.7, it might work with any custom Nubia Z5S ROM, but not with stock ROMs.
Original post: http://bbs.anzhi.com/thread-8783327-1-1.html
Direct download: http://pan.baidu.com/s/1kT7HJrp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recovery menu.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	2571070  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mirceat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mirceat
Old
Thanks Meter 40
http://bbs.anzhi.com/thread-8711460-1-1.html shows the Z5S unbricking tutorial
If you can't access anzhi.com, please read http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2522601.
There are 2 hidden links on this tutorial:
http://attachments.goapk.com/driver....u5s7siii5i.zip - it downloads driver.zip, a .rar file actually
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1c0b1tVq - password gt8v for the downloaded file, I haven't been able to download it, but I think this is the regular Z5S recovery.
Read carefully the tutorial and apply exactly the required steps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mirceat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

giuri97
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thanks very much guy

I ordered the phone today. I hope dhl won't disappoint me

Francesco from Italy