Post Reply

Aren't you afraid of not getting the updates in a reasonable amount of time?

OP Chad_Petree

10th March 2014, 06:30 AM   |  #1  
Chad_Petree's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 164
 
2,356 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
More
I see we're all going crazy about the specs of the Xperia Z2, but no one here appears to be concerned about how slow sony is to roll out updates, Kitkat 4.4. was released on the 31th of October, and the Xperia Z1 , sony's current flagship still hasn't got it :/ ... 4 months after the release , they plan on delivering the update on April, 5 months, maybe 5 and a half months after 4.4 was really released and they're not making any promises of improving, what do you guys think?
The Following User Says Thank You to Chad_Petree For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2014, 07:52 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
That's definitely a concern of mine. Sony is worse than the major Android manufacturers (Motorola, HTC, Samsung, even LG is rolling out its Kitkat update) in terms of updates. One consolation is that Android updates aren't as big or crucial as they used to be since it is a pretty mature OS at this point, but I can't deny that I find Sony's update speed disappointing. I don't think it will stop me from getting the Z2, tho.
10th March 2014, 10:14 AM   |  #3  
funky0308's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag Osijek
Thanks Meter: 5,367
 
6,576 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Donate to Me
More
You have problems with 4.3?

It's incredible how people aren't satisfied, ever...

Wait and you'll get your KitKat...Sony is actually building their UI, it's not only cheap mask over Google framework - that's why they need time.

Wen you get KitKat you'll request another version...or you'll open thread to request root for kitkat...

Relax, you still have almost one whole year of support and everything will come and be released on time.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funky0308 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2014, 10:25 AM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 25
 
137 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
I am not afraid.
x102x96x
10th March 2014, 12:51 PM   |  #5  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
Info 2 i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Petree

I see we're all going crazy about the specs of the Xperia Z2, but no one here appears to be concerned about how slow sony is to roll out updates, Kitkat 4.4. was released on the 31th of October, and the Xperia Z1 , sony's current flagship still hasn't got it :/ ... 4 months after the release , they plan on delivering the update on April, 5 months, maybe 5 and a half months after 4.4 was really released and they're not making any promises of improving, what do you guys think?

Read:
Note On Flagships Support

It s so good If companies support their flagships for OS upgrade But there s no different between Sony or Samsung or ...
currently i m using Note3 on JB 4.3 however 4.4.2 for all variants released from Samsung But it s too slow.
If you want number of OS version you should buy nexus devices. that Google support them ~2 years (like Galaxy Nexus) with fast upgrade and release.
But If u r thinking about more functionality on ur smartphone u have to buy samsung, sony or ...

/*Companies don't think about u who bought a flagship 4-5 months ago.
*they think about who want to upgrade from old phone. so they release high-end phone every 6months to get markets. */
Last edited by x102x96x; 10th March 2014 at 12:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th March 2014, 04:10 PM   |  #6  
Chad_Petree's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 164
 
2,356 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky0308

You have problems with 4.3?

It's incredible how people aren't satisfied, ever...

Wait and you'll get your KitKat...Sony is actually building their UI, it's not only cheap mask over Google framework - that's why they need time.

Wen you get KitKat you'll request another version...or you'll open thread to request root for kitkat...

Relax, you still have almost one whole year of support and everything will come and be released on time.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Do you really think that getting the update 5 months later is acceptable? It's not like we're getting a new UI with sony's implementation of kitkat, we should actually , I don't understand why reasonably demanding for things, makes us a**holes, should we just keep quiet and be content with what companies give us? How do you think HTC and Motorola updated their game ? By listening the the users complain , they want our money? They'd better work for it!
10th March 2014, 04:35 PM   |  #7  
harfot's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Odense, Denmark
Thanks Meter: 147
 
651 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Petree

Do you really think that getting the update 5 months later is acceptable? It's not like we're getting a new UI with sony's implementation of kitkat, we should actually , I don't understand why reasonably demanding for things, makes us a**holes, should we just keep quiet and be content with what companies give us? How do you think HTC and Motorola updated their game ? By listening the the users complain , they want our money? They'd better work for it!

What are you really doing here - takes as is or leave it
10th March 2014, 05:07 PM   |  #8  
vittogn's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 53
 
482 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
More
I'm on a Nexus 5 and I love both pure Android and quicker updates. Unfortunately the lack of Hw specs (battery and microsd) will drive me to Z2 and its slowlier upgrades of sw.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
10th March 2014, 07:01 PM   |  #9  
Chad_Petree's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 164
 
2,356 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vittogn

I'm on a Nexus 5 and I love both pure Android and quicker updates. Unfortunately the lack of Hw specs (battery and microsd) will drive me to Z2 and its slowlier upgrades of sw.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

We're on similar situation , I can't stand the awful battery life of the nexus 5 , I don't miss the SD card at all since I have the 32 gb version and that's enough for me, what bothers me too is that the 16:9 photos are 6 MP, I would like 12-13 MP photos, I don't need 20 MP photos but I'm not complaining either Haha


Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
10th March 2014, 07:51 PM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
Some more thoughts on slower updates that might make your mind rest a little easier:

As someone else pointed out, if you take Samsung as an example, faster updates aren't always a good thing. Samsung devices are usually pretty well optimized for the version of Android they ship with, but when they update to a new major version of Android the performance can get substantially worse. I've noticed this with several Samsung devices. So giving a manufacturer the time to make sure everything works well on their hardware is a good thing. Keep in mind brand-new Android releases are often tailored to a subset of Android hardware in the latest Nexus devices, and hardware differences in other devices might take a while to perfect.

Also, new major versions of Android often have bad bugs. Look at Motorola who invested a lot of effort into getting 4.4 on the Moto X very soon after it was released. Unfortunately 4.4 had several major bugs including broken Exchange support! Moto X owners who upgraded were stuck with broken devices until Moto released 4.4.2 months later. So it is also good to wait for at least a couple of point releases before a manufacturer commits to a new version of Android.

Nexus devices don't have these issues because they can just keep releasing new updates quickly, but if a manufacturer's customized Android actually offers valuable improvements (which I think Sony's does) it makes sense to take a little longer.

I still wish Sony were faster, tho

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Xperia Z2 General by ThreadRank