Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,479 Members 48,702 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Creating folders/renaming files from pc freezes explorer

Tip us?

chew2
Old
(Last edited by chew2; 4th March 2014 at 09:47 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Creating folders/renaming files from pc freezes explorer

Hello, I am having a problem with my note 3 where if I access it from my computer (through usb 3.0), trying to create folders or rename anything causes the explorer window to freeze without accomplishing anything. I've seen posts about this before on here but without any solution. Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to fix this? Clearly most people do not have this problem. I will update if more information is needed.

I'll add that I am not sure if the problem actually lies with the phone or my computer, however I have never experienced this with anything other than my phone, including of course external hard drives.

Techngro
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Info 2 WiFi File Transfer can help

Quote:
Originally Posted by chew2 View Post
Hello, I am having a problem with my note 3 where if I access it from my computer (through usb 3.0), trying to create folders or rename anything causes the explorer window to freeze without accomplishing anything. I've seen posts about this before on here but without any solution. Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to fix this? Clearly most people do not have this problem. I will update if more information is needed.

I'll add that I am not sure if the problem actually lies with the phone or my computer, however I have never experienced this with anything other than my phone, including of course external hard drives.
I have been having the exact same problem with my Note 3, as recently as last night. I connect the device, the computer recognizes it, and I can browse the files/folders, move things around. But if I try to rename a folder, it just freezes. Actually, sometimes it freezes when I try to copy files too. I have no idea why.

I found a way to get around it, but it involves using the WiFi File Transfer app from the Play Store. The app is excellent. You install it, and then just type in the URL it gives you in your web browser. You can do everything you would normally do with your device (transfer files, rename folders, delete files, etc). There's both a free and a pro version. I bought the pro because it was such a useful app. Link below:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iletransferpro

(Hit the thanks if it was helpful. )

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900T
Bought on Swappa, Blocked by T-Mobile
Given life again via Chainfire's RegionLock Away
Stock
Hyperdrive KK RLS3.1
Effortless ROM Rev 6

Kindle Fire
ROM: Back to Stock

2006: Samsung A900
2007: Original iPhone
2010: Nokia N900
2010: Moto Cliq
2011: HTC G2
2012: Galaxy S II
2012: Galaxy Note
The Following User Says Thank You to Techngro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xile6
Old
Thanks Meter 36
I have always had this problem.
It's something to do with how the phone is mounted to the pc. They changed it a few yrs back.
So I now just use wifi tranfer app. It's fast and I don't have to plug up the phone every time I need a file.

And I think it's freezing because it's re reading the phone and taking to long and timing out or something.
if im wrong tell me. I'd ratter be correct then live life being mislead.
Phone:Note 3 NF1 rooted and stock Knox 0x0

Other Phone(s): T-mobile G1 < HTC Vision G2 < LG-P999 G2x < T989 S2 < HTC One m7 < Note 3
The Following User Says Thank You to xile6 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chew2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techngro View Post
I have been having the exact same problem with my Note 3, as recently as last night. I connect the device, the computer recognizes it, and I can browse the files/folders, move things around. But if I try to rename a folder, it just freezes. Actually, sometimes it freezes when I try to copy files too. I have no idea why.

I found a way to get around it, but it involves using the WiFi File Transfer app from the Play Store. The app is excellent. You install it, and then just type in the URL it gives you in your web browser. You can do everything you would normally do with your device (transfer files, rename folders, delete files, etc). There's both a free and a pro version. I bought the pro because it was such a useful app. Link below:

(Hit the thanks if it was helpful. )
Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
I have always had this problem.
It's something to do with how the phone is mounted to the pc. They changed it a few yrs back.
So I now just use wifi tranfer app. It's fast and I don't have to plug up the phone every time I need a file.

And I think it's freezing because it's re reading the phone and taking to long and timing out or something.
Hmm, interesting. Have either of you tried AirDroid? I haven't tried the software you guys linked yet but judging purely by the play store page, AirDroid looks like it functions and looks better. Anyway, I was aware of that option and AirDroid is what I'm using right now but I still find it annoying to have to switch from one to the other. I was hoping there would be an easy fix.

Am I allowed to make two questions in one thread or should I make another thread?

mrej201
Old
Thanks Meter 100
just user airdroid drag and drop or just dont rename folders
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-allen View Post
Amazing how a a handfull of Devs on here can accomplish more in a weekend then a multiBillion Dollar company can in 6 months.

Techngro
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by chew2 View Post
Hmm, interesting. Have either of you tried AirDroid? I haven't tried the software you guys linked yet but judging purely by the play store page, AirDroid looks like it functions and looks better. Anyway, I was aware of that option and AirDroid is what I'm using right now but I still find it annoying to have to switch from one to the other. I was hoping there would be an easy fix.

Am I allowed to make two questions in one thread or should I make another thread?
Yes, I have tried Airdroid a couple of times, as recently as last week. WiFi File Transfer is much simpler to use IMO, which is exactly what I was looking for. But i'm sure that either would work for what the OP is looking for.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900T
Bought on Swappa, Blocked by T-Mobile
Given life again via Chainfire's RegionLock Away
Stock
Hyperdrive KK RLS3.1
Effortless ROM Rev 6

Kindle Fire
ROM: Back to Stock

2006: Samsung A900
2007: Original iPhone
2010: Nokia N900
2010: Moto Cliq
2011: HTC G2
2012: Galaxy S II
2012: Galaxy Note

foxx1337
Old
(Last edited by foxx1337; 10th March 2014 at 11:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
mine also does that on PC, have to retry several times till it stops hanging explorer

it's probably this - http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/02...micro-sd-card/
Samsung Note III N9005 stock
HTC One S s3 (villec2) w/ CM 10.1