Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,053 Members 46,152 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Really nervous about accidentally bricking, so just some cautionary questions...

Tip us?
 
JustAk
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Mar 2014
Exclamation [Q] Really nervous about accidentally bricking, so just some cautionary questions...

So I have an Optimus G LS970, added a couple apps, but other than that it's pretty basic. I'm wanting to root this device and eventually add a custom rom on it perhaps, but I've very new to this and don't want to accidentally brick my device.

1) I've been looking for stable linux rooting methods, the only one I've found that looks promising is here, but it's 2 years old. Does anyone know anything about it's stability for android 4.1.2, kernel 3.4.0?

2) In order to transfer files (music, pictures, pdfs/ebooks) to/from my device it needs to be mounted, but I haven't been able to mount it for this (or any other) purpose at all. It shows up as connected (command "lsusb" shows "Bus 002 Device 028: ID 1004:631d LG Electronics, Inc.") but it won't mount. Will this be possible once rooted, or is there some other cause to this?

3) Once rooted, I want to get rid of some of the Preinstalled apps but I'm not sure which will lead to instability and which would be fine to remove, does anyone know where I can check this, or would I just need to list all the apps I don't want on my phone and have you all tell me on an app-by-app basis which is safe to remove?

4) Lastly, when it comes to using alternative app markets, I haven't had much luck. I was trying to test using alt stores with f-droid and nothing showed in the lists, so I don't know if that's a thing with f-droid or my device. Is there anything you need to do to use alt app stores aside from enabling it in the system settings, and installing the app store's .. app?

Thanks in advance!
 
engine95
Old
#2  
engine95's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 981
Posts: 1,718
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAk View Post
So I have an Optimus G LS970, added a couple apps, but other than that it's pretty basic. I'm wanting to root this device and eventually add a custom rom on it perhaps, but I've very new to this and don't want to accidentally brick my device.

1) I've been looking for stable linux rooting methods, the only one I've found that looks promising is here, but it's 2 years old. Does anyone know anything about it's stability for android 4.1.2, kernel 3.4.0?

2) In order to transfer files (music, pictures, pdfs/ebooks) to/from my device it needs to be mounted, but I haven't been able to mount it for this (or any other) purpose at all. It shows up as connected (command "lsusb" shows "Bus 002 Device 028: ID 1004:631d LG Electronics, Inc.") but it won't mount. Will this be possible once rooted, or is there some other cause to this?

3) Once rooted, I want to get rid of some of the Preinstalled apps but I'm not sure which will lead to instability and which would be fine to remove, does anyone know where I can check this, or would I just need to list all the apps I don't want on my phone and have you all tell me on an app-by-app basis which is safe to remove?

4) Lastly, when it comes to using alternative app markets, I haven't had much luck. I was trying to test using alt stores with f-droid and nothing showed in the lists, so I don't know if that's a thing with f-droid or my device. Is there anything you need to do to use alt app stores aside from enabling it in the system settings, and installing the app store's .. app?

Thanks in advance!
All of your questions are answered here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2050582
And the FAQ.
1. See above
2. Install the LG drivers, link is in that OP, then tick MPT. That should transfer your files. If not, you may need to uninstall, then reinstall them.
3. DO NOT remove any apps unless you unlock! Info is in that link also.
4. I have no idea on that one.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks to HPTesla and PartimusPrime!!! Whoohoo!!
 
JustAk
Old
(Last edited by JustAk; 8th March 2014 at 05:45 AM.)
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine95 View Post
All of your questions are answered here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2050582
And the FAQ.
1. See above
2. Install the LG drivers, link is in that OP, then tick MPT. That should transfer your files. If not, you may need to uninstall, then reinstall them.
3. DO NOT remove any apps unless you unlock! Info is in that link also.
4. I have no idea on that one.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
1) *EDIT* [Doesn't say anything about linux rooting, how am I supposed to install a windows drive on a linux system?] I overlooked the linux mention. Thanks! Can't find something. How/where do I find adb?
2) Ignore, see 1) [Again, how am I supposed to install the Windows driver in linux?]
3) Thanks for that. I didn't know the importance of unlocking the bootloader.
 
engine95
Old
#4  
engine95's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 981
Posts: 1,718
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAk View Post
1) *EDIT* [Doesn't say anything about linux rooting, how am I supposed to install a windows drive on a linux system?] I overlooked the linux mention. Thanks! Can't find something. How/where do I find adb?
2) Ignore, see 1) [Again, how am I supposed to install the Windows driver in linux?]
3) Thanks for that. I didn't know the importance of unlocking the bootloader.
Sorry bout that. Linux drivers are native, so they're anyway installed.
You use either fiddy629 root for Linux, or Framaroot.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------



Edit. You don't have to have ADB, but there's alot of info if you google it.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks to HPTesla and PartimusPrime!!! Whoohoo!!
 
JustAk
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine95 View Post
Sorry bout that. Linux drivers are native, so they're anyway installed.
You use either fiddy629 root for Linux, or Framaroot.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------



Edit. You don't have to have ADB, but there's alot of info if you google it.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I tried fiddy619's thing here using the universal linux one. It asked me for ADB. Found that debian has "android-tools-adb" so I installed that, now there's this:

Code:
Using: /usr/bin/adb
Waiting for device... Connect your LGOG via USB in Charge Only Mode
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
Device found


Beginning Root Process

Disconnect your phone from USB
Disable USB Debugging
Enable USB Debugging
Press enter to Continue
I can't tell if this is telling me to do these things, or if it's saying it already did them. Any idea?
 
JustAk
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAk View Post
I tried fiddy619's thing here using the universal linux one. It asked me for ADB. Found that debian has "android-tools-adb" so I installed that, now there's this:

Code:
Using: /usr/bin/adb
Waiting for device... Connect your LGOG via USB in Charge Only Mode
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
Device found


Beginning Root Process

Disconnect your phone from USB
Disable USB Debugging
Enable USB Debugging
Press enter to Continue
I can't tell if this is telling me to do these things, or if it's saying it already did them. Any idea?
Nevermind that, I got it working just fine. took o nly a couple seconds and it was done. Now I have "SuperSU" in my apps menu, so I'm guessing it worked.
 
HPTesla
Old
(Last edited by HPTesla; 9th March 2014 at 04:59 PM.)
#7  
HPTesla's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 210
Posts: 381
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAk View Post
Nevermind that, I got it working just fine. took o nly a couple seconds and it was done. Now I have "SuperSU" in my apps menu, so I'm guessing it worked.
Awesome, glad to hear it worked! Which if you have SuperSU it should have. I too only use linux(Linux Mint specifically) and while most guides are made for Windows, things are usually easier from the linux terminal because we don't need to download drivers, android uses a modified linux kernel, etc. Welcome to the forums, glad to have you here! All the info you need is here and plenty of people will be glad to help(as engine has already demonstrated). As for the alternative app markets, Ive read plenty and tested a few but really, nothing comes close to the play store. On our phone Banks Gapps is the standard google apps package to install if you are flashing a custom rom. Just make sure you get the correct version of gapps for the version of android your rom is based on.


Like the banner? Original Dr Who image found here.

Sprint LS970 LG optimus G
with Viper1.1 Kernel

Nexus 7 2nd Gen 2013
with Multirom TWRP 2.6.3

My android bootanimations can all be found here.


"Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability.” - H.P. Lovecraft
“The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla

The Following User Says Thank You to HPTesla For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
JustAk
Old
(Last edited by JustAk; 9th March 2014 at 05:23 PM.)
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPTesla View Post
Awesome, glad to hear it worked! Which if you have SuperSU it should have. I too only use linux(Linux Mint specifically) and while most guides are made for Windows, things are usually easier from the linux terminal because we don't need to download drivers, android uses a modified linux kernel, etc. Welcome to the forums, glad to have you here! All the info you need is here and plenty of people will be glad to help(as engine has already demonstrated). As for the alternative app markets, Ive read plenty and tested a few but really, nothing comes close to the play store. On our phone Banks Gapps is the standard google apps package to install if you are flashing a custom rom. Just make sure you get the correct version of gapps for the version of android your rom is based on.
Ah. brilliant, thanks!

The only problem I'm now having is getting the phone to connect to my computer so I can transfer music or ebooks or whathaveyou to/from my device. I've gone through the arch wiki for android (even though I'm running debian) and this forum postt but I keep getting an error:

Code:
$ android-connect
Listing raw device(s)
Device 0 (VID=1004 and PID=61f9) is a LG Electronics Inc. V909 G-Slate.
   Found 1 device(s):
   LG Electronics Inc.: V909 G-Slate (1004:61f9) @ bus 2, dev 8
Attempting to connect device
PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
Error 1: Get Storage information failed.
Error 2: PTP Layer error 02fe: get_handles_recursively(): could not get object handles.
Error 2: (Look this up in ptp.h for an explanation.)
Listing File Information on Device with name: (NULL)
LIBMTP_Get_Storage() failed:-1
I can start a separate thread regarding this issue, but if you have any insight, figured it couldn't hurt to ask real quick.
 
engine95
Old
#9  
engine95's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 981
Posts: 1,718
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAk View Post
Ah. brilliant, thanks!

The only problem I'm now having is getting the phone to connect to my computer so I can transfer music or ebooks or whathaveyou to/from my device. I've gone through the arch wiki for android (even though I'm running debian) and this forum postt but I keep getting an error:

Code:
$ android-connect
Listing raw device(s)
Device 0 (VID=1004 and PID=61f9) is a LG Electronics Inc. V909 G-Slate.
   Found 1 device(s):
   LG Electronics Inc.: V909 G-Slate (1004:61f9) @ bus 2, dev 8
Attempting to connect device
PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
Error 1: Get Storage information failed.
Error 2: PTP Layer error 02fe: get_handles_recursively(): could not get object handles.
Error 2: (Look this up in ptp.h for an explanation.)
Listing File Information on Device with name: (NULL)
LIBMTP_Get_Storage() failed:-1
I can start a separate thread regarding this issue, but if you have any insight, figured it couldn't hurt to ask real quick.
This may or may not help, but when I've had issues with Linux hooking up I've had to format my SD. Something gets stuck in there that Linux just didn't like.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks to HPTesla and PartimusPrime!!! Whoohoo!!
 
HPTesla
Old
(Last edited by HPTesla; 10th March 2014 at 02:34 AM.)
#10  
HPTesla's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 210
Posts: 381
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAk View Post
Ah. brilliant, thanks!

The only problem I'm now having is getting the phone to connect to my computer so I can transfer music or ebooks or whathaveyou to/from my device. I've gone through the arch wiki for android (even though I'm running debian) and this forum postt but I keep getting an error:

Code:
$ android-connect
Listing raw device(s)
Device 0 (VID=1004 and PID=61f9) is a LG Electronics Inc. V909 G-Slate.
   Found 1 device(s):
   LG Electronics Inc.: V909 G-Slate (1004:61f9) @ bus 2, dev 8
Attempting to connect device
PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
Error 1: Get Storage information failed.
Error 2: PTP Layer error 02fe: get_handles_recursively(): could not get object handles.
Error 2: (Look this up in ptp.h for an explanation.)
Listing File Information on Device with name: (NULL)
LIBMTP_Get_Storage() failed:-1
I can start a separate thread regarding this issue, but if you have any insight, figured it couldn't hurt to ask real quick.
Are you doing this with the phone turned on and booted into the os? It gives you a PTP error first, make sure the phone is in MTP. At the bottom you also have a LIBMTP error tho. I don't have much experience with debian but from what I understand it is extremely stable but the downside is that it can be a bit out of date at times. Ubuntu and all ubuntu derivatives had a major mtp flaw awhile back but it has since been fixed. Im not sure if it has been fixed in debian. Yes ubuntu is based off of debian, but just like linux mint will add things to the ubuntu base, ubuntu will do the same to the debian base. So LIBMTP MAY be out of date, Im not sure. I know that I have no problem seeing my phone from either the terminal or file browser. Check this out and see if it helps any.

If not you may have to follow engine's advice and format the sd.

EDIT: Also this might work, it is for linux mint but adding the repository and installing it should work on debian(I think) since they all use .deb files. Before ubuntu officially supported mtp by default this was the most popular work around.


Like the banner? Original Dr Who image found here.

Sprint LS970 LG optimus G
with Viper1.1 Kernel

Nexus 7 2nd Gen 2013
with Multirom TWRP 2.6.3

My android bootanimations can all be found here.


"Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability.” - H.P. Lovecraft
“The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine.” - Nikola Tesla


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes