Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 51,951 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stuck at Samsung logo during boot even on stock rom

Tip us?

Graeme H
Old
(Last edited by Graeme H; 24th April 2014 at 09:16 PM.) Reason: forgot a word
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] Stuck at Samsung logo during boot even on stock rom

I have soft bricked and then recovered a lot of devices but this one has me stumped. I tried to install a custom kernel that I compiled myself using odin. When that didn't work I tried to copy the image using dd. My theory is that I wrote to the wrong block device and broke something. When it wouldn't boot I figured it was no big deal, I'll just revert to stock. I have tried flashing the stock rom with Odin and by using Kies emergency recovery. Both seem to succeed but whenever I boot I just get stuck at the samsung logo which displays on the screen forever. I can still get into download mode and recovery mode just fine.

Things I have tried:

- Factory reset (I've done this many times from stock recovery and TWRP)
- Cache wipe (Also tried several times from stock recover and TWRP - in TWRP I tried all the different wiping options)
- Flash stock ROM
- Turn off device and wait for more than an hour (since there is no way to do a battery pull)

My understanding is that the bootloader must be functioning otherwise I would not be able to get as far as I do. And since flashing stock ROM doesn't do anything there must be a partition with corrupt data that is not being rewritten when I install the ROM. Any ideas what this might be? Are there any resources I can use to completely repartition the device?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Graeme H
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
I fixed my problem so I just though I'd post the solution here in case someone finds this on Google or something.

It seems that I did indeed corrupt a partition that is not rewritten when you flash a stock rom or do an emergency system restore with kies (which I believe does nothing more than download the stock rom and then flash it). I actually had to buy a second device and use dd to copy over all the partitions and then returned the second device :P

So if you have this problem you might have to ask someone on this forum to give you an image of whichever partition you broke.