[Q] Knock on and battery life

OP crediblefi

10th March 2014, 02:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I just got a G2 (vs980), and I'm about to put Cyanogenmod 10.2 on it (after no amount of crying and screaming before figuring out how to update the 10.2 zip with new loki bits). I was wondering, does anyone know if the CGM knock-on feature eats more battery than the stock rom's version?
10th March 2014, 02:28 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 124

1,237 posts
Donate to Me
More
knock on doesnt eat any battery
10th March 2014, 02:35 PM   |  #3  
Flag Fort Wayne
Thanks Meter: 40

244 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crediblefi

I just got a G2 (vs980), and I'm about to put Cyanogenmod 10.2 on it (after no amount of crying and screaming before figuring out how to update the 10.2 zip with new loki bits). I was wondering, does anyone know if the CGM knock-on feature eats more battery than the stock rom's version?

I haven't used the CM knock-on on this phone, but on the nexus 4 it ate 1% per hour, at least double what it ate when off.
10th March 2014, 02:36 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 158

521 posts
Cm is still buggy on the vs980. i would wait out the 5years Verizon will take to finally update to kk first.

I'm surprised that the att and or tmo kk builds haven't been ported yet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
10th March 2014, 02:39 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathshead

Cm is still buggy on the vs980. i would wait out the 5years Verizon will take to finally update to kk first.

I'm surprised that the att and or tmo kk builds haven't been ported yet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Even the stable builds? I'd love to get rid of all of the vzw bloatware etc, and I'm missing Cm bad haha
10th March 2014, 05:17 PM   |  #6  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,095

6,960 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coburn_c

I haven't used the CM knock-on on this phone, but on the nexus 4 it ate 1% per hour, at least double what it ate when off.

That's because it wasn't supported at a low level like it is on the G2. Other devices it requires a wakelock or partial wakelock.

As for the OP, no, knock-on uses immeasurable battery. Some people say that I believe "Android System" usage drops if you disable Knock On but I have yet to see anyone show any real information that it changed battery life.

I'm not a heavy user but I take my phone off charge at 7am and put it back on at 11pm and it's at 80% or so most days. I could easily go two days, but I'd prefer the more shallow charge cycles to make the battery last as long as possible.
10th March 2014, 05:26 PM   |  #7  
Flag Fort Wayne
Thanks Meter: 40

244 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus

That's because it wasn't supported at a low level like it is on the G2. Other devices it requires a wakelock or partial wakelock.

As for the OP, no, knock-on uses immeasurable battery. Some people say that I believe "Android System" usage drops if you disable Knock On but I have yet to see anyone show any real information that it changed battery life.

I'm not a heavy user but I take my phone off charge at 7am and put it back on at 11pm and it's at 80% or so most days. I could easily go two days, but I'd prefer the more shallow charge cycles to make the battery last as long as possible.

The custom code for CM doesn't take advantage of any of the low level stuff. It just keeps the digitizer on all the time, even during phone calls.
10th March 2014, 05:28 PM   |  #8  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,095

6,960 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coburn_c

The custom code for CM doesn't take advantage of any of the low level stuff. It just keeps the digitizer on all the time, even during phone calls.

I'd have to assume that CM and other ROM kernels use the same code for knock-on as LG's kernel has, but maybe I'm wrong.
10th March 2014, 05:48 PM   |  #9  
Flag Margao,Goa
Thanks Meter: 708

1,699 posts
More
Quote:

I'd have to assume that CM and other ROM kernels use the same code for knock-on as LG's kernel has, but maybe I'm wrong.

naaa i doubt it, lg stuff is mostly proprietary, they cant be used by others legally. besides touch to wake came way befre lg even introduced the known on feature !
10th March 2014, 05:50 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 430

2,229 posts
Quote:

In my specific case, disabling Knock ON/OFF has improved battery life significantly, dramatically, from 49% drop (from 100 to 51) over 8-hour night (doing nothing) to 2% drop over the same period of time, again, doing nothing.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread